PDA

View Full Version : Stuck ski Pylon

shf49
09-23-2003, 05:57 PM
I am trying to remove the ski pylon from a 87 Saltare. The pylon is stuck in the tube bracket under the floor. I have taken all mounting bolts out and set screws and it will not budge. I need access to repair the lag bolt holes for the mounting bracket. Anyone have any suggestions other than cutting the floor out. Looks like a dangerous place to try to put some heat on! Thanks

shf49
10-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Ok here is what I did. I cut a hole in the floor the width of the pole from the pole to the motor bilge area. I removed the front pulleys and impeller water pump and bracket and removed the pole bracket and all. I cut a larger hole in the bottom of the pole bracket so I could get to it with a press. The pole is a solid piece of aluminum. After 3 days in a 10 ton press with all the pressure I could put on it and spraying WD40 down in the tube it finally broke loose, gradually presssing out. You talk about stuck! I really do not see any other way this could have been done. I will have a small section of floor to patch and brace but nobody ever said life was suppose to be easy! Thanks to all who looked at this post. SHF49

Catdog2
10-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Nice work. Few would have accomplished this.

Are you going to re-mount it?

Have you run into soft stringers under the floor?

shf49
10-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Yes I will remount it. Some of the lag bolts were loose. I don't seem to have any stringer problem as the motor mounts and floor are solid. I intend to treat the wood in the stringers in this area with CPES from the Rotdoctor and fill the holes for the ski pylon mount with epoxy putty I got from them also. My biggest challenge may be getting it to dry out but I have all winter to get this done. I am mainly trying to get to a down the road problem before it is a major one. This is my first Supra but I have learned a lot from this forum. My thoughts are if my floor is good and the motor is mounted solid I should be in pretty good shape. Any input is appreciated. Thanks for your reply!