PDA

View Full Version : My 84 Supra Rider

chautauquasun
04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Okay here are a few of the Supra Rider I bought last year. Only had her out once and is going to need some work. Once I get it on the water I will send you more. She is a work in progress but cant wait to get started when it gets warm and get her on the water.

Salty87
04-24-2009, 04:42 PM
it's weird how many things changed between model years in the 80's. difference between 86 and 84 is like traveling back in time.

love the bow rail, engine box, the swivel observer seat is cool too.

can't wait to see what you do with it.

mapleleaf
04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Congrat's on the '84, Salty's right the differences are incredible, I had yet to see an engine cover like that, but had already started modifying mine to have a rear facing bench, pretty cool that Supra had already done it!!!!!
Your boat looks to be in good shape.....Hope you enjoy the restoration as I have.. I'm in Toronto and am also hoping this warmer weather is here to stay!~
Way easier to work on the boat w/out gloves!!!!!

chautauquasun
04-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Congrat's on the '84, Salty's right the differences are incredible, I had yet to see an engine cover like that, but had already started modifying mine to have a rear facing bench, pretty cool that Supra had already done it!!!!!
Your boat looks to be in good shape.....Hope you enjoy the restoration as I have.. I'm in Toronto and am also hoping this warmer weather is here to stay!~
Way easier to work on the boat w/out gloves!!!!!

Thanks....yes my friend growing up had an 86 sunsport that I fell in love with. It also did not have the rear bench on the enging box but did have the swivel captains passenger seat. The interior is in suprisingly good shape and floor is sound but there is some stringer rot and I am eventually going to have to replace the stringers. I am hoping to get away with them as is for a season or two...but we will see what happens.

Thanks...

Irish_Jack
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey man,
It's awesome to see a Rider. I can't wait to see your progress and the restoration...:cool: I love to see the evolution of Supra's boats--the differences as well as the consistencies in their design! Congrats!!!

mapleleaf
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know how far apart chautauqua and pittsburgh are, but my boat is still 2 hours away in a barn and the trailer's here, being rebuilt... I have one more coat of paint to put on it and then I can go get the boat.....
I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

chautauquasun
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes....you dont find many Supra Riders anymore. I am hoping to restore her back to her former glory and have some fun doing it as well as fun running her.

Chautauqua Lake is 2 hours north of Pittsburgh PA. It is in between Buffalo and Erie in NY. Not a bad trip for me but.... Actually Maple we are not too far apart.

mapleleaf
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah Man... I grew up outside of Niagara Falls and we'd be over the "ditch" weekly. It's been a while, but I recall the south shore of Lake Erie being really nice......
It's the seperation from my boat that's drivng me nuts....not much restoring going on when it's a couple hours away!!

chautauquasun
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah same thing here. I bought a new electronic conversion for the points, new plugs and fuel filter on line. Just got the parts and am cant wait to install them and see if it helps the stalling issue is was having last fall. Didnt buy the carb rebuild kit yet. I am hoping to clean everything up and install the new parts to see if that helps. If not probably going to have to rebuild the carb.

But...cant do anything until I can get up there.

mapleleaf
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
ditto......

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Just so you know, be sure to use resources at skidim under carbs section and holley's websites they are really good for helping to diagnose carb problems like bad power valve, adjust floats, etc.

She's a great lookin boat. What are you going to do to her? Wake and surf? Tower?

chautauquasun
04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the information and compliments. I have been buying some parts from skidim but didnt know they had a tech section. I will be sure to check it out.

Regarding what I am going to do with the boat...right now I want to get it running consistently and use it for skiing. I grew up skiing but have never wakeboarded...it became popular after I had moved on and had kids...job etc. My son is 11 and is getting into skiing but he wants to try wakeboarding and so do i. So next step will be probably to add a tower and give it a shot. It looks like a lot of fun and my neighbors at the lake have two big Mailbu skiiers that they use for wakeboarding.

Right now I am hoping to get up there and get it cleaned and tuned up and on the water to see what I am going to have to do to keep it running.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Again thanks for the compliments. Growing up my friend's dad was a doctor and they had a 86 sunsport very similar to yours. Back then it was the nicest boat you could buy. My family didnt have the money to buy a new one like that so I just dreamed about. Those boats are still the nicest inboards you can buy imho. enjoy!!!

04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I am going to be looking at an 84 rider. How can you tell if stringers will need replaced? Is this something that should be expected?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
walk around barefoot and feel for soft spots in the floor. If you want use a screwdriver and tap the floor to make sure it's hard. Look at where the motor mounts to the stringers inside the engine box. Make sure these are strong and no cracks.

If a new challenge sounds like fun; if you used to ever goof on on your skis like jumping the wake; if your back is good :) :) you MAY love wakeboarding! :) You really don't need a tower to wakeboard. I can't say I noticed a huge difference when switching. Kinda just good for storage and the 'wake look' and nice to not have the rope in the boat.

chautauquasun
04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I am going to be looking at an 84 rider. How can you tell if stringers will need replaced? Is this something that should be expected?

See if you can spin or easily turn the bolts where the motor mounts. If you can then the stringers are probably shot. The floor in mine was pretty sound but I do have some rot in the stringers where the motor mounts are. Mine will tighten up but they do loosen over time due to the wood not be sound. I am probably going to scab in some pieces where the mounts are.

Definitely check the floors. I have looked at several supras and have always found soft spots up near where you enter the playpen in others I have looked. at.

Regarding wake boarding...I have skiied since I was 10 and was always jumping the wakes. And fortunately my back is still sound. I didnt realize you could wake board without a tower. One of my friends said they tried and couldnt do it without the tower. What are the secrets without a tower. What length rope do you use?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
The size of the wake is more important for getting more air than the tower imho. I wakedboarded for years behind an I/O with a homemade pylon about 3' tall. No problem. They are marketing them really hard last 5 years or so to say it gives you more hangtime.

Same length rope as always for wakeboarding, about 65 feet of non stretch rope. No waterski rope as it will stretch when you cut and yank you forward when you get into the air. Drive about 22mph. No secrets.

chautauquasun
04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Sold...well I guess I am going to buy a wakeboard and rope. Any suggestions on what board to buy?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
:) What are height/weight for your riders? Anyone with similar height/weight/footsize can share a board.

New boards have made much progress in being beginner friendly. This means the edges are sharp at the tip and tail so you can carve around well. But in between your feet the edge should be rolled or not sharp, this makes the board more forgiving. I would recommend any board from 2007 or newer.

I would look at boardersmall.com, boardersbestbuy.com, the-house.com.

If possible go to a local shop and ask some questions. Most importantly, if they have a demo program. You should be able to take a different board home every weekend for $20-40 and they apply the money toward your purchase. A new board is spendy but you could also buy one of their demo boards which is about $100 cheaper. This is what I personally do to find the PERFECT board.

I am a big Liquid Force freak, no other brand compares to me. They are light, strong and poppy. They have been around a long time and have awesome customer service. I have been riding them for over 10 years. I used to work at a board shop so I have ridden most brands and many many boards.

The best selling wakeboard of the last 3-4 years has been the Liquid Force Watson and I would recommend it as a great all around board. It is designed to give you more straight up boot when you jump, therefore the belly is more spoon-shaped. This makes it ride a little bit slower than another board that has a flatter bottom, like the Lyman or Soven (PS3). These are also great boards, just personal preference.

Any no-stretch rope will do. I will try to post a couple links when I get the chance.

jasonba1
05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I second the liquid force stuff, switched to LF last year and will now not ride anything else. The watson is great and I really like the axis as well. Let me know what board you are looking at if its LF I can probably get you a deal.

chautauquasun
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I second the liquid force stuff, switched to LF last year and will now not ride anything else. The watson is great and I really like the axis as well. Let me know what board you are looking at if its LF I can probably get you a deal.

Thanks will do. I think my 11 year old son my be a pretty good wake boarder. He has a RipStik which is like a snow board on caster wheels. He can do some amazing things on it. I have done it as well but I am no where near as good as he is. It looks like the same movements on a snowboard and I am assuming a wakeboard.

I hope to try it out this year. I may look to try one of the demos or rent one first to see how it goes.

thanks I will keep you posted.

chautauquasun
06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Here is another one...not very good. I took with my cell phone. A little far away and it was getting dark...she is all button back up again after getting in a quick very unexpected 45 minute run last night.

Love the sound of that engine!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Are you checking WakeWorld classifieds? You can find some awesome steals on there. Craigslist locally, too. Post up what you are looking at and we'll give you opinions. :)