PDA

View Full Version : removing wooden rail at stern....

wotan2525
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
On my 87 there is a wooden rail that runs across the transom... I'd like to remove this. Has anyone done this? How do you access those screws? What did you cover or cap the holes with?

Thanks!

Salty87
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
is that the teak rail? iirc saltare inverts removed his. marine tex would cover the holes but the color might not match too great.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Woton I have thought removing that rail but decided against it. The screws are just hidden under little wooden caps. Have to use a screwdriver and hammer to remove them I would guess.

I am thinking sanding and refinishing mine by using a flat-faced vibrating sander and just sanding all flat and accessable surfaces. May even remove some of the 1/2" strip teak from the boat and sand. :) :) Maybe.

wotan2525
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Yep... it's the teak rail.... I'm thinking of removing it and covering all the exposed areas with gator grip or something like that.... I've refinished it (all the remaining wood in the boat) and I just hate the way this rail looks.

Salty87
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
mikey-

why are you thinking of sanding the teak? that takes so much longer than the 2 part kits...

it should all come off either way though. you'll end up with grime and teak oil on the carpet and on the hull sidewalls if you leave it all on.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Well I was going to remove all the 1/2" strips of teak since they are pretty easy to remove. I do not want to wreck the wood screw caps on the grab rail so I was going to do that still attached and just get the flat, easy-to-access surfaces.

I tried using the starbrite cleaner on the platform but I just didn't feel like it did very much. It is so black with mildew and the surface is very dry and cracked. When you sand it even a little, it is immediatly bright and golden.

wotan do you have any pics of yours all sanded and stained? :)

saltare inverts
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I removed my teac rails, I hatted them. I covered the holes with a non slip grip tape I bought at Lowes. Looks good and gives me a place to sand. Strips were like ten bucks.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Can we see the closeup pic without the grab rail again please? :)

wotan2525
04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I removed my teac rails, I hatted them. I covered the holes with a non slip grip tape I bought at Lowes. Looks good and gives me a place to sand. Strips were like ten bucks.

Awesome.... pictures would be great!

Mikey -- I'll work on pictures this weekend.... My interior has very little wood left in it. The teak swim platform just had spring oil applied yesterday and looks new again. I like to hit mine with a wire brush first and then it seems like the oil really soaks in.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
you removed teak strips from the interior?? I personally like it, but more power to you. :) Thanks for the wire brush reminder I was planning on oiling mine more this spring (sanded and oiled last fall) and I will wire brush it again a bit first.

wotan2525
04-30-2009, 12:47 AM
I actually haven't done too much to my interior, but most of the wood had been replaced by the previous owner. I think there are a few strips on the upholstered pieces on each side.... but that's it!