PDA

View Full Version : One of the funnest parts of boat ownership!

ColinP
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
..is choosing which boat to get! ;)

Hi everyone, I'm trying to choose which boat to get. I've never owned a boat myself but I've been around them occasionally every summer. I want a boat that can "do it all" as they say. Wakeboarding, tubing, camping, cruising.

I have a little boy on the way, so I need a boat thats family friendly. I am mechanically inclined so I don't mind a little bit of work, but I'm definitely way too busy to tackle a project. (This boat is for fun time) I want an open bow with an inboard with a V8 because they kick ass. I'm looking to spend $10k-ish.

So far I've been eyeing these boats:

1993+ Correct Craft Sport Nautique
1994+ Malibu Echelon
1988+ Malibu Sunsetter
Supra Sunsport?

Just today I came across some Supra Sunsport boats for sale. They seem a bit more expensive than the boats I mentioned above, is that normal? Are they a bit bigger or did they come with better components? Please give me your opinions on these boats, I really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey SunSports are one of the best all around boats from this era imho. They are gaining in popularity due to their high freeboard and nose (doesn't take on water and good in waves), ability to product a large wake for boarding and surfing. Of course tubing and skiing too.

I personally have not seen many 1993+ Sport Nauti's for under $10k. My 87 SunSport was marked at 9k but I got it for 7.5k.

The most preferred years for SunSports are 1989+ because they stopped using wood and there is no chance of soft wood in the floors or stringers. These may be 10-12k but you might find a deal.

The Sport Nauti and Malibu SunSetter are great great boats. They also ride much lower in the water than a SunSport will so the SunSport is a little more family friendly again imho. I might be biased though. :)

I rode behind an I/O for years and I would never never go back the inboard is so much easier to take care of, work on the motor, and performs at a much higher level.

Also remember you may want to accessorize the boat, for example, there is no muffler so it's pretty loud. I just put on Fresh Air Exhaust ($400) that puts the exhaust below the water and reduces noise by 50-70%. Good luck! And if you feel comfortable, post what you're looking at and we'll help ya out!

ColinP
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Where can I find information on the model variations through the years? I really don't know much about these boats, and they don't seem to have changed much visually over the years.

jasonba1
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
you can go up to about supra and then go under boat history and find out a little. They did not go to all fiberglass boats until 92 so while your out shopping you may want to consider that

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Search wakeworld.com for SunSport. Haugy is a knowledgable member about differences between models and years. Basically 89 is the year they made the most significant changes in going to the hull that the Launch used. I'm not positive about the wood / fiberglass switch sorry about that. I'm not positive if that is in 89's or if it's a couple years later like 92? Sorry about imprefect info there...

Did you check the 'Budget wake boat' thread on wakeboarder.com? It is stickied near the top of the boats forum.

Basically, if you can help it you want the SunSport over other Supra models. The year doesn't matter so much, imho, as the condition of the boat.