PDA

View Full Version : How do I learn to drive

airtime
09-25-2003, 10:10 AM
I just got a launch and would like to know if there is any vidio or book on driveing or towing?? I have boated for 24 years this is our first real tow boat. would like some help on ballast and wake plate , how to,s

brian91comp
09-29-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't know of any book or video. Contact the AWSA and they should be able to point you in the right direction. There are a couple of things you need to remember when learning to pull a skier, boarder, tuber, etc... 1.) If it's your boat make them wear a life jacket. 2.) Always be aware of the location of the tow rope. Nothing worse than having someone get hurt by the rope wrapping around a foot, or having the rope get tangled in the prop. 3.) Start out slow. Your Launch will have plent of power to get the skier or boarder up, so start out slow. It's easier to try again than to reattach arms! 4.) When the skier drops, bring the boat to a stop and then cruise slowly back to the skier. This keeps you from sending large waves down the lake. Good Luck

airtime
09-30-2003, 06:23 AM
I have towed before, I,m having a little bit of trouble maintaining a steady speed, I think I may spring for perfect pass. also how long of a line do I use for beg. / intermediate??

Salty87
09-30-2003, 11:50 AM
for beginners, a shorter line will let you go a little bit slower. i'd try starting with 60 or 65 feet, if you're getting kids up stick with 60 feet and about 17-19 for speed.

the real goal, for beginners at least, is to get a balance between line length and boat speed that will give the rider the cleanest wake at the slowest speed. then add line and speed as the rider finds comfortable.

09-30-2003, 12:09 PM
forgot your other questions:

ballast is pretty much trial and error but you can find someone with the same model and find out what works for them. basically, you'll want most of the weight towards the rear but if you have alot then you'll need some up front too. something like 60-70% in the back and the rest up front.

the wakeplate basically controls the angle of the bow rise. if you lower the plate, the bow will come down and lift the stern a bit and won't porpose up and down (if it was at the time). by lifting the plate, the bow raises a bit and the stern sinks in helping to beef up the wake. mine's manual, it's up all the way all the time.

other driving tips:
*drive straight lines if possible while pulling a boarder, make sharper, 90 degree style turns rather than bending curves when you have to change direction....kinda like fighter jets stop at each 90 degrees when doing a barrel role. this gives the rider a more predictable pull, it's best if the rider is watching for when the boat needs to turn too.

*maintain speed, no perfect pass for me either...i use tach and watch the wake. mine holds speed really well. hopefully you have at least a 4 blade prop, acme 3 blades are even sweeter.

*always approach a downed rider on the driver side of the boat so you can see how close you are. i can't stand it when people drive back on the wrong side when i'm boarding....i don't want to get run over.

*no power turns back to your fallen rider unless they are hurt or another boat doesn't see them in the water. otherwise, just idle back through your rollers and enjoy the good water you're keeping nice and smooth.

(sorry for rambling, boaring day at work)

Catdog2
09-30-2003, 06:59 PM
When making multiple runs back and forth over the same water, for instance in tight areas or coves, there are ways to make keyhole-turns so that the boat quickly winds-up heading the opposite direction in-between its own wakes, so that the water smooths out and the boat doesn't loose speed, and the skier is still alive on the end of the rope.

To make a u-turn left, you first turn sharply right, then start spinning the wheel left while maintaing RPM. After a few tries you will end up between the wakes.

Not sure where to find written driving instructions all in one place. Sure would like a set.

heydanniceshot
07-06-2006, 06:57 AM
There is a wakeboard DVD called "The Book" that is GREAT for this stuff. Even if you're not interested in learning how to wakeboard, get the first DVD. It has all the basics of trailering, launching, loading, and basic pulling methods. Seriously, the best instructional DVD ever!

Yes, I know this thread is extremely old but I thought I'd revive it for any newb's out there looking for a few pointers.