PDA

View Full Version : Sound System

chautauquasun
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I am looking to install a reciever and speakers in my boat. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should purchase. Not looking to break the bank but want to put in at least 4 speakers with a receiver that has MP3/IPod inputs. Should I get and AMP if just using the speakers in the boat...not on tower? Should I get a two battery set up?

any ideas on models/products would be appreciated.

thanks

TayTay
04-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I just installed an Alpine iDA-X100M receiver in my boat with Alpine SPS-M600 speakers for the cabin. I have mine hooked to an amp but you could just hook them to the receiver. The receiver is all digital (it doesn't take CD's). There is an iPod hook up and USB hookup. The separate iPod cable is like 10 or 15 bucks otherwise you can just hook your iPod into the USB connect. The receiver comes with the cords that you need for that. I really like the set-up, I just take my iPod and thumb drive and then friends bring their iPods too. The receiver ran me about $300 and the speakers were $140ish for all 4 of them. If you want you can look at this thread I posted with some pics or this website

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=3341

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3662&highlight=stereo

saltare inverts
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I would also recomend a Alpine head unit. I have owned about every brand of stereo over the years and I am now exclusive to Alpine. Best sound and durable. I would recomend Memphis amps. Way underated on power, very clean and efficient. I have a 1100 watt Memphis in my Yukon and it will move the hair on your arms with two ten inch woofers. You will want a amp, much cleaner at cruising speed. You wont need an extra battery unless you plan on running stereo with motor off for hours. For boat speakers I recomend either Memphis or MB Quart. I am a avid stereo freak. If you got question drop me a line.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
If you aren't getting tower speakers, no need for an amp. Any deck will do fine.

Browse around for pricing as marine speakers can be overpriced at many stores.

One battery is plenty unless you have an amp, sub and some tower speakers.

jonyb
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
If you wanna play it loud enough to hear it while under power, you need an amp. More power = less distortion. More distortion = more blown speakers.

Wet Sounds XS-650's are a great upgrade for any boat.

beast 496
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Go to onlinecarstereo.com click on the marine recievers. Note use only a marine reciever, they are specifically made for moist environments. I use Clarion M475 recievers, and Clarion Marine amps, along with Clarion speakers. The M475 has a MP3 plug in face plate also.

jonyb
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Or pm me..... I'm a dealer for Clarion and Wet Sounds.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Well depends on his budget. How much do you want to spend? Car audio gear is very common in boats. Only my Kicker KMT6 ($240) tower speakers are marine grade. Everything else is hidden where water can't get to it. The sub box is marine ply.

I would wonder how many people with only budget cabin speakers can hear clearly while under full power. I'm sure Wetsounds can, but not much on a budget. If you want that kind of volume, yes you need an amp, but you probably need more than 6.5s. But I am NOT an audio expert.

Salty87
05-04-2009, 04:01 PM
i have all car audio stuff in my boat. rockford fosgate amps are going on 8 years, speakers need to be replaced a little more often. just make sure you don't get any paper cones or metal baskets on the speakers. if you leave it on the water, i'd go marine but my stuff stays dry covered on a trailer.

i agree that you'll want an amp to hear your speakers at speed. otherwise, the speakers won't last long from the distortion and they won't sound great when turned up. an amp will give a cleaner signal, you and the speakers will be happier. it's not necessary though.

the 2nd battery is all about how long you want to listen with the engine off. even a small system could use a 2nd if you're going to be at the cove allll day.