PDA

View Full Version : My trailer sucks!

jonyb
04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I've had problems with my BoatMate trailer since day one. It's nearly impossible to load. If it's too far in the water, you stuff the bow under the stop. If it's too high, you can't power on without pushing the truck uphill. I've been boating for at least 4 years before anyone says something like that.

The Boat Buddy was destroyed within teh first year of owning my boat. The pin would release, then when the truck pulls up, the bow eye pulls against the pin bending it. Getting the pin loose was a 10-minute job.

I also have a bunk that has some bent brackets. They're pushed forward and to me, don't look like they're built very well.

Remember, I have a 24SSV Gravity Games. It's VERY heavy.

I spoke with someone at Boat Mate about these issues and after sending pics we decided that I need to lower the bolt in the bowstop so it wouldn't pick the boat up, or I wouldn't have to pull on so far. That day finally came. I worked on it today. I drilled 2 new holes lower and to the rear of the trailer, but the metal of the bowstop forks is so bent up, it looks awful, and it's still a bitch to load. I think it just needs to be rebuilt.

After working all day on that, then taking a short boat ride, we came back to load the boat up. When my friend was walking to the truck, he turned around and said "park it". The bunk with bent brackets had broken off and was laying sideways across the trailer. 1 lag screw was holding it on. I found some more screws and tried to fix it, but where the brackets were bent, the bolts were pulled out. I ended up having to move the bunk a 1/4" forward and make new holes.

Finally got all that done in between rainstorms, and loaded the boat. I had bought a brand new Boat Buddy II and installed it today. AFter the second time loading the boat, it's already starting to get screwed up. That hard rubber pressing against the gelcoat just doesn't work out.

Does anyone else have problems like this? I'm calling BoatMate either tomorrow or next week to discuss this, but I guess I'm just gonna have to take it back to them to be rebuilt. I think they're at least 6 hours away from me.

jonyb
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
More pics. These are before i worked on it today.

csuggs
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
JonyB - That whole arrangement in the front with the roller has got to be a real headache for you :( You might try a "v-shaped" rubber to go in place of that roller. I believe your trailer manufacturer should beef-up the bunk mounts if they designed that trailer for your boat. They are not nearly stout enough to handle that load. You could get some adjustable brackets that attach to the crossmembers with u-bolts. I don't know, just some suggestions. But I definatly understand the frustration with having a trailer that is hard to load and launch. I made some adjustments and mine is better, but not perfect - and it's a little better at some ramps than at others.

TayTay
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I have problems with mine too John. I am not sure how it happened but on my boat buddy the pin that shoots across is bent towards the back of the trailer and it doesn't hit the hole it is supposed to when it goes across. It seems like to get it to actually engage automatically you have to ram the boat up onto the trailer, otherwise I have to do it manually. I was thinking about looking into getting a new boat buddy but if it is just going to happen again, I would rather not spend the 100 bucks. It also scuffs the bow of the boat up. I have read some other threads about just wiping it off but its kind of a bitch to get to it while its on the trailer. One of these days when I launch my boat I am going to try to bend that pin back in place, maybe today, we will see...

tg0824SSVGG
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Hmm - we've no problems at all with ours, at least to this point.

Our only issues are around the learning curve we first had when we got the Supra, which
was our first inboard - used to I/O for 10 years before that.

I am going to watch my bunks very carefully, but so far - no issues other than
not enough staples in the carpet for my taste.

ZERO problems with the boat buddy, I wonder if the trailers are
that different from 07 - 08?

Mine is also the 24SSV GG heavy-pig ..

Todd

Salty87
05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
that little roller up front looks like it could be tough to hit. do you ever miss to the left or right? it gives so little support, i could see how a change in water depth would really affect the angle of the boat on the trailer.

i wonder if a bigger bow rest wouldn't help line the bow up for the boat buddy pin better. i can still miss to the left or right with the setup but the big bow rest really sets the bow in pretty much the same spot every time (except in the pic, strap broke :o )...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/notonbowstop.jpg

csuggs
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I like that rest, Salty.

wotan2525
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty surprised by this thread... my trailer has been thrashed on and still loads/unloads with no problems. Has the same front V-bunk as Saltys does. Oklamhoma Trailers built mine and it is RUGGED.

TayTay
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Doesn't Boatmate make tailers for all of the newer supras? I thought Boatmate made pretty nice trailers? I think they make them for a couple ski boat manufacturers. I guess I am not having the strucural problems that John is having with his, just the boatmate issues.

Jonh, can you contact boatmate and get that trailer warrantied? You would think if you sent them those pictures of the bunks bending like that, they would fix, if not replace your trailer. I dont know, just an idea. I would fight with them about it if it were me.

tg0824SSVGG
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Boatmate makes most of the trailers as far as I can tell, I know for sure
they make them for Malibu - (or did last year).

John,

Did you add that yellow roller (in place of the boat buddy)? I don't have any rollers.

knoble
05-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I personally think supra does not spend much time or thought on their trailers. They go for the cheap ones! I had to completely re-do mine also! Just about every older supra has a f-ed up trailer!!!

jonyb
05-02-2009, 11:00 AM
JonyB - That whole arrangement in the front with the roller has got to be a real headache for you :( You might try a "v-shaped" rubber to go in place of that roller. I believe your trailer manufacturer should beef-up the bunk mounts if they designed that trailer for your boat. They are not nearly stout enough to handle that load. You could get some adjustable brackets that attach to the crossmembers with u-bolts. I don't know, just some suggestions. But I definatly understand the frustration with having a trailer that is hard to load and launch. I made some adjustments and mine is better, but not perfect - and it's a little better at some ramps than at others.
Anyone that works with metal around here see's this trailer and shakes their head. "Why do they use that thin metal on there?"

I have problems with mine too John. I am not sure how it happened but on my boat buddy the pin that shoots across is bent towards the back of the trailer and it doesn't hit the hole it is supposed to when it goes across. It seems like to get it to actually engage automatically you have to ram the boat up onto the trailer, otherwise I have to do it manually. I was thinking about looking into getting a new boat buddy but if it is just going to happen again, I would rather not spend the 100 bucks. It also scuffs the bow of the boat up. I have read some other threads about just wiping it off but its kind of a bitch to get to it while its on the trailer. One of these days when I launch my boat I am going to try to bend that pin back in place, maybe today, we will see...
What happens is: You pull up on the trailer, trip the pin. The driver pulls forward. When that happens, the heavy boat pulls back against the pin bending it. That was my problem first, so I just quit using the BB and walking to the front and using the strap myself.

Doesn't Boatmate make tailers for all of the newer supras? I thought Boatmate made pretty nice trailers? I think they make them for a couple ski boat manufacturers. I guess I am not having the strucural problems that John is having with his, just the boatmate issues.
I know that Centurion and Supra use Boatmate. It depends on the boat dealer and the area you're in, also how the dealer buys. They could choose a different trailer. A friend of mine that sells Centurion here told me yesterday that the problem is the 2 short front bunks. The keel gets hung up in those bunks and the trailer has to go deeper to get the boat out.
[quote=TayTay;14253]

Jonh, can you contact boatmate and get that trailer warrantied? You would think if you sent them those pictures of the bunks bending like that, they would fix, if not replace your trailer. I dont know, just an idea. I would fight with them about it if it were me.
I have. After getting the same non-returned calls just like Skier's Choice, I finally got someone. This was last year at the end of season and they decided it would be best for me to lower the bowstop. I live about 7-8 hours away from them so pulling it down there wasn't an option for me, at least then it wasn't. I'm gonna call back and talk to them again because this is ridiculous. The 2 forks are twisted in every direction and it's gonna be serious business trying to get them straightened out.

Boatmate makes most of the trailers as far as I can tell, I know for sure
they make them for Malibu - (or did last year).

John,

Did you add that yellow roller (in place of the boat buddy)? I don't have any rollers.

Todd, that's my 3rd. roller. Each one lasted for about 2 loads. What happens is that the boat comes in contact wtih the roller and pushes against it. The rollers don't roll. To me, that's a trailer problem no matter how you look at it.

jasonba1
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Hry Jon,

Have you tried call Owen at Boat mate directly he is great to work with . Dont have his number on hand but if you need it let me know and I will get it for you on Monday

beast 496
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
we have had absolutly no problems with our trailer. Regular maintanance, brakes, tires, brgs, ect. I did add an additional clearance light on the winch stand post, as we load many times at night, the yellow light is very easily seen by the boat driver, it helps with centering, My wife just centers the boat and drives straight up untill bow roller hits bow eye. Our boat is not new but is in very good condition, 1984 Supra Beast with a new 496 HO.

jonyb
05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Hry Jon,

Have you tried call Owen at Boat mate directly he is great to work with . Dont have his number on hand but if you need it let me know and I will get it for you on Monday

I talked to Jerry the first time. Maybe I should call Owen this time.

Beast: Thanks for teh input, but if you're trailer isn't at least a 2006 or newer, I'm sure there's quite a few differences.

jasonba1
05-03-2009, 11:31 AM
yea Jon I would call Owen, I know that around here anytime someone talks about a trailer they throw out Owens name so maybe he can help you. It does suck what your having to deal with though. With me being local anything I can do to help you out let me know.

bellsons
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
so, why is it that these trailors dont have side boards "guide rails, bumpers" what ever you call them. I just coast right in, bump the gas and i'm done.
Maybe thats the novist way, but i'm not wrestling a big boat on a little trailor!

beast 496
05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Is the particular trailer a tube frame or C channel? All bunks should be through bolted not lag bolted. I have used many different trailers and the custom made specifically for each particular models are usually pretty good. I know my trailer is very old, but if the trailer is well built it will last for many years.

jonyb
05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
This one is tube framed, but the plates that come up to hold the bunks with lag screws are 1/4" thick. 3 of them have paint peeling off from where they're bent.

This isn't a very well built trailer, therefore it won't last. This is my 3rd season with this boat/trailer.

Oilguy
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Jonyb
It might be worth taking the trailer to a welding/fab shop and let people that understand how steel works look at it...
Personally I think it was a stupid idea to use flat iron to connect the bunk boards to the trailer frame.... It should be Angle iron at the very least... But I would use square tubing for a nice strong clean look.
I would also get rid of the roller on the front... I would put a V style bow support further back and lower and then another V style or vertical pole style so that the rub rail is the only thing that touches in the front of the boat.

That is just my opinion... But asking the idiots at the trailer mfgr to recognize their mistakes and then to fix them is fighting a losing battle...

OG

jonyb
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Oilguy, a few people have looked at it that build dragcar chassis' on the side from being Piperfitters by trade (with 25 years experience). They don't approve at all.

I called Boatmate today at 11:30 and left a message for Jerry. He's the one I originally spoke with so that's why I called him. It's 5:30 and I haven't had a return phone call. I'll give them 2 more days, I think that's fair as they're probably busy with other trailer problems too.

jonyb
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks like I'm making a trip to Maryville next week.

tg0824SSVGG
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
They gonna fix it for you? DO they want the boat on or off the trailer?

michael hunter
05-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Call Owen, Call Owen, Call Owen. If you want it fixed Call Owen. Stop the Boatmate bashing and Call Owen.

jasonba1
05-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey John stay in contact when you come down.

jonyb
05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
They gonna fix it for you? DO they want the boat on or off the trailer?
Yep. Taking it down there with the boat so when they do work on it they can test it afterwards.

Call Owen, Call Owen, Call Owen. If you want it fixed Call Owen. Stop the Boatmate bashing and Call Owen.
not really bashing here, just stating an experience. Read my last few posts, they're taking care of business.

Hey John stay in contact when you come down.
PM me your number and I'll hit you up when I'm down there. Not sure when I'm coming, but I'll let you know.

jonyb
05-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Dropped the boat and trailer off today with Jerry at Boatmate. After talking with him and listening to what he plans to do, I don't think I could be any happier. If he does the work even close to what he says, the trailer should be perfect. He's even helping me out on some extra parts I intended to purchase once I pick it back up.

On a side note, since I drove 6 hours from western KY to the trailer factory, I thought I'd stop by Skier's Choice first to ask about getting some vinyl or a new panel to repair something in my boat. "You need to go to a dealer". The problem I'm trying to fix is something I created. I don't want anything for free, but what happened to service? Why can't they sell anything? Seems like since they're laying people off and production is low they'd wanna keep everyone happy or do what it takes to create a return customer. I'm part owner of a retail business that has to work to survive, I guess I just don't understand this type of business in a dying market.

tg0824SSVGG
05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah!!!

and

WTF???

michael hunter
05-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I went to the GM assemble plant to buy some parts and they wouldn't sell them to me
ether. Whats wrong with these manufacturers making you go to their retail distributors.
Why cant they sell me under the table? They don't realy need those dealers anyway.

jonyb
05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I tried my dealer on other parts and it's too much trouble. They wouldn't return my phone calls (3 hours away), wouldn't check on parts, and owed me a couple things when I bought the boat that I never received.

I wouldn't mind using a dealer if it wasn't that much trouble.

boatin_nut
05-12-2009, 03:06 PM
John,

Sorry you're having all those issues. I had lots of issues as well with mine. I've got a 99 legacy which is real low profile. for me to get it up on the trailer i back the truck up so the bunks get completely soaked then pull it forward so the waterline is to the top of the trailer tires. I have to come in a little fast but once i hit the bunks i'm half way up it. then i just give it a little gas and i'm on. I did destroy the little pin in there on my first day out, but i bought a safety chain so i'm not worried about it. Also, like it was said above too I don't have the yellow roller, i have the v-shaped boat buddy.

good luck!!

jasonba1
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I got to got to go to boatmate with John yesterday and as John said if the do what they say they are going to do they are a real stand up company. Living here that was one place that I had never gone so i enjoyed seeing there operation

JohnnyH
05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
On my 22ssv I have noticed it would take alot of rmps to get the boat all the way up to the buddy. I thought that can not be good for the bunks and bunk supports. I purchased some liquid rollers spray and it has made all the difference in the world loading and unloading. Just alittle above idle to get on and off the trailer. I just have to make sure the belt is attached when putting in or out the water

JohnnyH
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
On my 22ssv I have noticed it would take alot of rmps to get the boat all the way up to the buddy. I thought that can not be good for the bunks and bunk supports. I purchased some liquid rollers spray and it has made all the difference in the world loading and unloading. Just alittle above idle to get on and off the trailer. I just have to make sure the belt is attached when putting in or out the water

Oilguy
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I haven't gotten the Supra rebuilt yet but I have a 19' Baretta runabout and I lined the bunks with 3/8" Polypro boards... The stuff cutting boards are made from.
After that loading and unloading is very smooth >> No scratches >> No sticking >> No Carpet to rot bunks >> and it looks very clean too.

I am going to line the bunks on the supra trailer also!

OG

jonyb
05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Dropped it off Monday at noon, Jerry called Wednesday saying it was done..... Now that's service! I hope to be down there next week to get it.

McDye
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
do give a post update on the work when you get it back.

jasonba1
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
wow that was quick

dapjeff
05-22-2009, 08:03 PM
jony,

Did you get your trailer back? What did they do to fix it?

jonyb
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
jony,

Did you get your trailer back? What did they do to fix it?

Sure did. I picked it up Monday morning at BoatMate. My trailer no longer sucks :D......

The bowstop was lowered almost another inch, so that makes "almost" 2 inches lower than the stock position. The bowstop no longer lifts the boat up to get to the bow eye, so there's barely any weight pushing against it. I had just bought a new Boat Buddy II and used it once before deciding to have the work done. Jerry gave me a new roller (that's better than any of the ones I've found so far) and stuck the BBII in teh boat in case I ever need it. They also straightened all the uprights that hold the bunks, and welded gusset plates on them for reinforcement. That'll keep the supports from bending like they had before. All the welding and work done was touched up and painted. The brakes were kind of sloppy, so they bled the lines so that's much better.

Before I went to the factory I had decided I wanted to add a matching 18" spare wheel/tire and carrier. Jerry hooked me up with a carrier and painted it to match the trailer, then he found me a blem wheel/tire in the shop and sold it to me pretty cheap. I have 2 local places I buy wheels/tires at cost from for when we install lift kits, and he sold me this one cheaper than I can get one at cost for.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the work and service they performed. It's hard to reach these guys sometimes, but they're short-staffed and extremely busy. I've always kept that in mind before talking with them because my business is that way. The work done was great and even though I haven't launched the boat yet, I'm pretty confident that it's gonna be right on. They did watertest the trailer with the boat, so I know that now the trailer is matched for that boat. It was a long drive for me, over 5 hours 1 way, and through the mountains for about 100 of those miles, but it was well worth it..... I even met some cool people out there: jasonba1 and Jim at Viper Customs.

While I was there the second time I also spoke again with Anthony at SC. Evidently Mr. Tinker had read a few of my posts over at wakeworld. All the parts to resolve my issues should arrive soon. I don't mind doing the work on some of this stuff since I don't have a local dealer, I'm just glad to finally get it resolved.

I still think Skier's Choice's customer service should pay attention here. It would say a lot for the company if they did.

jasonba1
05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
John glad you got your trailer back and it all worked out espically with skiers choice. Give me a call or email sometime and we will try to hook up on the water this year.