PDA

View Full Version : Shaft seal leak question?

Supra-in-steamboat
05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello all.
87 Sunsport. Noticed a bit more than usual (water) coming in from shaft seal this am. My question is this. The water here is currently just above freezing as it is snow run off.- Would this affect the amount of water penetrating- or is it time to adjust the lock nut/coupler- or repack the seal?
From what i've read- it is easy to over-tighten the system... How would i properly repack seals, and with what? And/Or how is an adjustment made without compromising parts/ seals?
Thank you in advance for any help.
dp

saltare inverts
05-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I would call Discount inboard marine (skidim.com) and get new packing. They will lead you to the right kind for your boat. Its very simple to replace. Just back off the nut and remove old packing. Cut four new pieces of packing that are long enough to wrap around shaft once. Put them back in how old came out. Be sure to alternate were the cut part of each packing piece goes onto shaft(alternate cut part). Retighten nut, not too tight. Take on water, if leaks more than 1 drop per second tighten a little. I used the new Gore-Tex packing rope and mine does not leak at all. Once that is covered work on you toeside 1080.

csuggs
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Or . . . . . if you want to convert, try the PSS seal. No packing or adjustments - and even better, no leaks! Mine works great!

saltare inverts
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I also have no leaks with my Gore-tex packing. Cheap and works great.

knoble
05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
you can't beat the old rope seals!! Cheap and easy to repack! I had one of those dripless seals from the factory and it was a piece of crap! I spoke to the owner of my supra dealer and he agreed and got me a rope seal. Have had it for years without a problem!!!

chautauquasun
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
As part of the maintanence on mine I would like to replace the packing. I have never done it before. Is there any instructions on how to do it. You guys make it sound pretty easy...I need to do this because I noticed a fair amount of water in the bilge over the weekend that I ran it last year. Also...should I also check the rudder? Is that easy to do?

wazzy
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I have an 88 TS6M Comp that needs repacking..... that Discount Inboard website has 1/4" & 3/16" packing rope, does anybody know which size I will need or how long (it's sold by the foot).

Salty87
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
i'd look at what you have in there now. or, ask them at skidim...vince either owns or used to own a comp.

wazzy
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
The boat isn't accessible to me at the moment & I was hoping to get the ropes before I got the boat out of storage.... I will see what vince knows...