PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

devildawg
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
What is a sure fire way to tell if your motor has been damaged from not properly winterizing your boat? I have a 2002 Supra Launch and attempted to de-winterize myself and after connecting all the hoses and everything, I tried to see if I could get it to start and it didn't do anything. Does this sound like a motor issue or could it be something minor like spark plugs and wires? Basically, I don't want to run out and buy unnecessary parts if I've got bigger issues w/ the motor.

Blackntan90
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Does it crank at all? Check the simple stuff and let us know!

Salty87
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
what kinda shape is your battery in? did you charge it over the winter? do you have a multi meter?

chautauquasun
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree with salty...check the battery. If the battery is charged it should spin the starter and at least get the engine to rollover. Even if the block was cracked the engine would rollover. Only time it would seize up would be if it got too hot. Doesnt sound like that is the case. Probably as simply as some new plugs and points if your motor still uses points. Check the spark in the coil...again if yours has a coil. If you are getting spark and engine is turning over try some starting fluid in the carb and see if it will fire.

michael hunter
05-04-2009, 06:36 PM
It sounds to me you need to get a mechanic to check it.
I don't think you have the working knowledge required to diagnose this
problem.

knoble
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
also did you check to see if you have a battery switch? Some boat have that. Mine did. i hated it and removed it. It was finicky and would not work half the time. Also check the main breaker at the rear of the motor. if it was tripped nothing will happen!
Good Luck!!!!

saltare inverts
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Check your volt meter on your dash. You can do this by turning key to accessory position look and see what it reads. If the volts are low like 10 or less you need to charge your battery. Try that first then let us know we can walk you through the next step.

devildawg
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I got the battery checked and it's fine. Fully charged. I just get nothing while trying to crank it.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Did you put the spark plugs back in? Did you connect the battery? There is probably a master switch that cuts the circuit.

tg0824SSVGG
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Do you have a safety lanyard that clips to the driver (attached to a switch)?
If so, move that switch back and forth a few times.

On my boat, there is a battery switch -- don't know when they started adding those.

Mattyman
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you are screwed. You better get rid of it. I can take it off your hands ;)

DKJBama92Mariah
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Good suggestions above. Also, make for sure that the shifter is in neutral.