PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

chautauquasun
05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I found this trailer online it is from an older Supra Priata (sp?). I have negotiated a price of $1,000. Does that sound like a good deal? It has surge breaks and can accomodate upto a 24' boat and looks to be in good condition. I have a 21 foot supra rider.....so i think the size should be good. It is in good shape...seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

KY Steve
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
If those are aluminum wheels just those and the ties are worth almost $1000. I don’t think you will find a tandem any cheaper. Check out the surge brakes they can be a maintenance pain, mine is 3 years old and is in the shop now being serviced.

Salty87
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
if it's in good shape i'd jump all over it. that's a great price for a dual axle inboard trailer.

see if he'll let you pull it around the lot to make sure it rolls good.

chautauquasun
05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
If those are aluminum wheels just those and the ties are worth almost $1000. I don’t think you will find a tandem any cheaper. Check out the surge brakes they can be a maintenance pain, mine is 3 years old and is in the shop now being serviced.

What should I look out for on the Surge brakes? what needs servicing on the brakes?

csuggs
05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
If you don't buy it, I will! That's a good deal as long as its not rusted out. I put a new surge actuator on mine because it was full of water and had corroded real bad. Got the actuator for $60 on ebay - series 60 Dico. I'd say even if the brakes don't work, buy the trailer.

chautauquasun
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
If you don't buy it, I will! That's a good deal as long as its not rusted out. I put a new surge actuator on mine because it was full of water and had corroded real bad. Got the actuator for $60 on ebay - series 60 Dico. I'd say even if the brakes don't work, buy the trailer.

Thanks to all. I am calling the guy today and hopefully will go out and get a better look at it tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's insight.

saltare inverts
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Buy it Buy it Buy it, steel is worth that. My trailer is just like it pulls fine. I did have to lift it because boat was sitting to low. Still worth it even if all brakes are shot.

chautauquasun
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Quick update...went and looked at the trailer and bought it this morning...it is in good shape the guy is going to recarpet and replace the stepboards for me and make sure all of the lights are functioning and add a new license plate holder. He wasnt sure if the surge brakes work but it does roll well without any issues. So I am not going to monkey with them until I get it to the lake.

It is an 88 Eagle brand trailer that orginally had a Supra Pirata on it. THe Pirata was destroyed by a strom last year.

Here are two more pics I took...I think I made out pretty well for $1,000.

chautauquasun
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry forgot to attache the pics. here it is.

phenom_1819
05-07-2009, 01:39 PM
That is an absolute steal. Buy it quickly before somebody else does!

Salty87
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
$1k AND he's going to fix it up some? you done real good

my boat came without trailer too, i had to spend 3 times that on a new one. used inboard trailers can be hard to find.

chautauquasun
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
$1k AND he's going to fix it up some? you done real good

my boat came without trailer too, i had to spend 3 times that on a new one. used inboard trailers can be hard to find.

Yes...I have been search since the fall and was going to try and modify a trailer for and I/O...just got extremely, extremely lucky on this one. Its like finding that $20 in an old coat pocket. Nice surprise.

Staying consistent with my low budget theme ....I am sure my budget will get blown up when I go to start it for the first time since fall and find that I have all kinds of problems. Well at least it will have a nice trailer if it sits in the yard. :-)

csuggs
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
You done good Dan! How far do you have to go to get the trailer? If it hasn't been towed in a while, may I suggest greasing the bearings. When I bought my Sunsport last year in Michigan I asked the guy to grease the bearings, and he did, but on the way home (about 450miles) one of the grease caps came off, all the grease flew out and the bearing burned up. Had to have the boat, trailer and all towed on a roll-back for the last 100 miles at $4 per mile! Not a good start :(

KY Steve
05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
What should I look out for on the Surge brakes? what needs servicing on the brakes?

If it has drum brakes check the hydraulic pistons, they tend to lock up after time from being submerged in water.

Mine has disc brakes and the master cylinder got water in it which prevented them from working, apparently that's not uncommon according to my trailer repair shop. Easy fix though, just flush the system and add new fluid.

You got a steal on the trailer even if it needs a little brake work, but hopefully it wont.

chautauquasun
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Clint..that is good advice. It does have bearing buddies on it but again...not sure how good they are. This was a trailer that wasnt used much. It is located on Lake Milton, OH...about 60 miles west of Pittsburgh but I will be taking it about a 100 miles north to Chautuaqua, Ny

Great advice...i will check to see if i can get him to help out. Have a feeling that now I own it he may not be as accomodating as he was before I bought it.

Dan

tg0824SSVGG
05-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Check the tires too --- you don't need one of htem blowing on you, although with no
weight to get it home ...

csuggs
05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
This is what you don't want to have happen on the way home!

chautauquasun
05-21-2009, 11:43 PM
This is what you don't want to have happen on the way home!

Brought the trailer home today....no problems like yours Clint but I did get a flat tire. Not completely flat but needs to be replaced. Its a dual axle so I really didnt notice it until I got home with it. Another addition to the to do list before saturday.

csuggs
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations Dan!