PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Like About Your Inboard?

Irish_Jack
05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I've owned I/O's since I was in my teens. When I got my Supra, I was absolutely impressed with the transfer of power. I work on large inboard craft like cruisers and sport yachts and have always had such high regard for this type of powertrain. Even with "zeus" and "IPS" drives--though technologically cool--inboards have always been the lowest maintenance, simple and reliable, and most efficient under cruising speeds.
I went inboard... and I will never go back.:cool:

tg0824SSVGG
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Jack,

I will also never go back - but all I ever owned was an I/O.

I love my boat - but I am still getting used to it.

I know this is the opposite of your post intent, but I miss:

* being able to back the way "I" want ... getting better on the inboard, but not there yet.
* when "coasting" - with the I/O - you can still "steer"

I do NOT miss that monster hanging off the back. Ask my leg about the 18 stitches from slipping off the back and hitting the outdrive - it was not running thank goodness.

I do not worry about the prop so much.

I am now learning to surf. I used to curse them (probably because I couldn't do it with the I/O).

What I love, probably more than the fact it's an inboard - is JUST the boat in general.

This time, I knew exactly what I wanted - and I have all of it but one thing. I love the
heater. I love the cupholders - there must be about 80 of them. I love all the rear-facing seats. I love that I didn't have to add these (which I did with the old boat)

* tower
* tower speakers
* amps
* nice (not killer, but nice) stereo
* perfect pass
* nice bimini (I have the Z5)
* platform on the back.
* ballast (we don't wakeboard much - I use this for surfing - most of the time, my boat is used for towing hydrofoilers)

This list goes on and on. I love my boat.

Did I mention, that I love my boat?

The thing that I have to add, a shower. here in Colorado - it makes a huge difference.
SWMBO tells me that we will add one. (

She
Who
Must
Be
Obeyed

(the real boss)

:o)

I am going to remove some of the stickers - not nuts about the floating billboard.

Todd

csuggs
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
For me, it's the sound, the power, the handling and maybe just the pure nostalgia of an inboard tournament ski boat - it's the overall performance you get with 8 cylinders of Detroit power linked to a solid and simple drivetrain. What more could you want?
I grew up with outboards, then got spoiled by friends on their inboards. Now that I have mine, I'd say that's all I'll ever have in a recreational boat.

saltare inverts
05-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I started on jet skis, moved to an old IO then got a 1983 Correct Craft. Now in my Supra Saltare and all its glory. If you have a IO its a boat, if you have a Inboard its part of the family. Too many reasons to have a Inboard to list here. Never, ever will I own a IO.

michael hunter
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I started with a used 18' outboard then a new 18' IO. They were OK for general boating but when pulling they were too slow to get up . A dealer in Madison WI invited us to test drive a Supra 1987. Holy Sh*t What a difference. To me its all about the pull all the maneuverability and reverse issues with DD,VDs are a small price to pay.
They are made to pull, there not for everyone but if you pull nothing else comes close.
Its been better than 20 years now and I still feel the same way.
I will never own anything else.

Salty87
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
my family had a few i/o's when i was young. the saltare is 'my' first boat.

inboards aren't the most efficient design, they aren't cheap, they aren't terribly versatile being limited to inland lakes and flat water, they need more water under them than some other boats, yada yada...but damn...

they are a blast to drive, the engines sound incredible, the feeling of power knowing you never need to worry about getting on plane is great, they are sleek and sexy, you can play behind them all day and chill out in style too, you don't have that goofy blender hanging off the back scraping the ramp on the way out, etc, etc, etc

how about running a bridle around an outboard motor to ride?...no thanks, been there done that lol

87SunSportMikeyD
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
tg08- Here's a link and PM about a DIY hot shower for under $75. Looks super simple.
I saw your other shower thread but forgot to post this

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/84572.html?1065589943

tg0824SSVGG
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey MikeyD ... thanks for that!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Isn't that an awesome, cheap diy hot water shower?? I wanna do it myself! Have to keep telling myself one thing at a time. Improving ballast system is next heheheh! Maybe next year on the showe.

I wakeboarded behind a 16' i/o for at LEAST 10 years. Man oh man. My dad was having NOTHING of buying some expensive as CRAP boat when he sees guys doing air rolls outside the wake lol. So I learned 360s behind a teeny wake it just BAM pops you, no tranny at all. We made our own 3' pylon.

Once it was my turn to get my own boat, I didn't hesitate. Almost got the SN2001, there was even a 1987 owned locally by someone who I'm now buds with. He has a 93 sport now. My open bow is bigger hehehehe sorry don! :) :)

Honestly I knew what I was missing, but dang this is sweet freakin boat! I will never ever ever ever own an i/o again.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
05-10-2009, 02:37 PM
my first boat was a jet, fun to drive, no prop to cut ya up, but terrible on fuel and lousy for skiing( had that 3 years)

next boat was i/o v8, great handling,good power,slow speed control docking against tide flows, good watersking( had that boat 18years)

Bought a 1996 Ski Centurion when wife was pregnant, she hated it, to rough a ride in ocean, not enough free board hieght for small kids, not a great wake either!! ( sold it and kept i/o)

Bought a 1996 Ski Naughtique> great power pro poss 351 efi gt40 heads,great ski boat, awsome wake, arm ripping torque.
not enough room for family & friends & gear( had boat 3 years)

Bought 2002 Supra Launch SS Oct 08, seats 11 people,good storage,lots of free board hieght,good in rough water,great for watersking/ wakeboarding/wake skate.( this will be my last boat)
Dave

michael hunter
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Never say never Dave I used to say the same thing?

mapleleaf
05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I grew up behind some dodgy outboard's, and similar to Clint, was spoiled by the odd run behind an inboard. I think it was my Dad's 19' starcraft with a 115 OB that actually wasn't bad to ski behind. It went in the late eighties and some how I've managed to bum rides since then???
The conbrio I bought last year is my first boat and although I feel like it may not be the "right" boat for everything I want to do, it was affordable and makes me feel spoiled everytime I think about it. I dreamt of owning an inboard since I was young, and now I have one......It's old, a little beat up and is taking me way longer than I thought it would to rebuild, can't always work on it!, but it's mine and I'm going to squeeze every once of fun out of it until it's time for another inboard...
The sound, power, drive and ride all possibly the best icing on the best cake going....

michael hunter
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
The struggles and commitment of rebuilding a long sought after desire only enhances the satisfaction and joy of ownership and use. Its all great to go and buy a new boat but
you will never forget your first one, and all the work it took to build it . Every hour put
in is a labor of love I wouldn't trade for anything my heart is in my 89.

Okie Boarder
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
So far I have only been out with my inboard a few times. Like others have said I love...

The pure power and torque feeling

The deep throaty exhaust sound

Responsive handling and throw you out of your seat steering ability

Safety of the prop being way under the boat

I too am still getting used to the reverse thing and the dock approach, but getting pretty good pretty quick.

Irish_Jack
05-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Amen to everything!!! There is nothing like pressing your passengers' eyes into there sockets, or giving them a good scare when you pop that throttle from a slow crawl!!! Even if they don't get it... I sure do!!!:D

Okie Boarder
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I accidentally threw my youngest son on the floor Saturday. We cruised across the lake to the cove we board in and since the water was so smooth as we entered the cove I did a hard turn. I had forgotten he was laying up on the engine compartment :o Bad Daddy! He forgave me after I gave him a hug and kissed his oiwee...:lol:

denwbaseball
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
1990 I/O and the one thing that I love about inboards and will never ever buy another I/O unless I'm old and cann't ride anymore....is not having to mess with the trim and being able to keep a steady speed without messing with the throttle every 2 sec. Ok I guess that was 2.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought that without a trim feature I would hit things with my inboard fixed propellor - what I didn't know is that my I/O prop was 3' below the water and more when accellerating while my inboard only drafts 21"!! I didn't hit a single thing last year which is a miracle in a river. Hope I can do the same this year with a $350 prop. :):):)

tg0824SSVGG
05-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Denw ...

I overcame that last objection of yours by putting a perfect pass on my I/O ...

But I still love my Supra

1Quickdoo
05-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Our family had a Doral i/o for 17, 18 years, nice boat.. got to the point where you start wondering how much longer it was going to be trouble free, started looking at new I/o boats.. My buddy bought a 2000 Malibue Sunsetter, I drove it for 10 minutes and knew what my next boat was going to be... found a beautiful blue/black white 2004 SSv, after a full season of use, can't see ever going to any other style of boat... someday I will climb up to one with Supra ride system...
My favorite thing, shifting the trans.... I watch my brother cringe everytime he drops his I/O into gear... mine has more power and drops into gear like butter...

Blackntan90
05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Man you guy's are right on! The looks you get at the ramp from the I/O crowd keep me smiling all day, or it could be that I love my supra so much! Oh, Salty that comment about the bridle was great!

Bazel
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I have to agree with most of the comments. My family started with an outboard when I was a kid. We loved skiing, I went to a summer camp and slalomed behind a SN2001, and was bitten by the bug. After getting married we bought an IO (1991 Rinker) and rode with friends with Malibus. My wife loved it and a few years ago we bought our first inboard. My wife loves the handling and the boat in general.

As for the comments about reversing, after some pratice I promise, that you will be able to manuver your inboard anywhere and with more control than a clumsy I/O. Learn to use the prop spin and tapping the throttle. It is amazing to be able to easily turn within the length of the boat.

The other great thing is the looks from the dock or others at the ramp. I know it sounds bad, but our Supra's are SEXY boats, by the way I mean mine and all of yours too. There is nothing better than the owners events and seeing 20-30 supras of all ages.

Irish_Jack
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Hell yeah Bazel!
I can turn my boat on a dime, change direction on command, and stern it in at slips better than my I/O.
Oh, and the comment about being the envy of the boat launch... Amen!
I got something to add to that... I absolutely hate all the fake ski boats that are nothing more than an I/O puddle jumper with a tower that has all the wrong characteristics for skiing or wake boarding!!! Was that too harsh?:rolleyes:

rludtke
05-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I, like many of you I am sure, am an "Old School" Skier. I learned to ski behind the tournament boats of friends who were fourtunate enough to own tournament ski boats (wake boarding barely existed, and dedicated wakeboard boats were still a decade or more in the future). These boats were expensive then, but held their value like nothing else.

Fast forward about 25 years, and I decided that I was ready to buy a boat for family fun. An I/O would certainly have been much more practicle for the Puget Sound, but I wanted nothinng to do with one. No doubt, I had been spoiled by my previous experience with the inboard tow boats. Unfourtunatly these boats only seem to get mere expensive over time, but I found an older Supra TS6M that has proven to be very satisfactory, and I enjoy operating it as much as I enjoy skiing behind it. I am even learning how to wake board (it gives me a rough water option), and we plan to try to surf it too. This year will be a first with a water ballast system (500 lbs), but I suspect I may need more weight for surfing.

I think of the low speed and reverse handling issues as a challenge, not a problem. Becoming skilled at docking and trailering just adds to the fun in my mind.

What I really enjoy is the high speed handling. The way these boats corner, Man! And the acceleration! Wow! You just gota love it!

These boats are special use, and not very practicle to be sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

michael hunter
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Hell yeah Bazel!
I can turn my boat on a dime, change direction on command, and stern it in at slips better than my I/O.
Oh, and the comment about being the envy of the boat launch... Amen!
I got something to add to that... I absolutely hate all the fake ski boats that are nothing more than an I/O puddle jumper with a tower that has all the wrong characteristics for skiing or wake boarding!!! Was that too harsh?:rolleyes:

Irish
I don't mind the fake-wake boats they only make the real thing stand out even more.
Its a good feeling knowing all eyes are on your rig when you pull into the ramp.

riveredge
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
How about the fact that I can still get OEM parts for an 89 supra, when manufacturers like SeaRay don't carry some parts for boats as new as 2002. Or Starcraft - couldn't get some major parts for a 2000 boat, back in '06. Inboards, though, you can still order, from a dealer, ALL the decals for a 1991 Ski Nautique. Mastercraft is pretty good too.
To be fair, some brands have a following, like Glastron, but really nothing like the support you can get with old inboards... that's my 2 cents

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I am even learning how to wake board (it gives me a rough water option), and we plan to try to surf it too. This year will be a first with a water ballast system (500 lbs), but I suspect I may need more weight for surfing.

rludtke I have not personally ridden behind a Comp, but I suspect you will be able to surf it without too much trouble. There are many ways to perfect a surf wave, but it's really pretty easy to get something surfable. If you can put your 500lb sac on the floor on the port rear corner, and get a couple people to either sit on the rear seat or on the port rubrail (don't let the DNR see) you should be able to surf it. Ocean surf boards work great and the Hyperlite Landlock is good for smaller waves although there are better boards out there if you like it (I sure did!). Give it a shot and most importantly let us know how it works!

WadsworthSunsport22V
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Although I have now been a proud owner of my “baby” 07 22 Sunsport, I still consider my self a newbie in the wakeboard/ inboard world. This is my first “motor boat”. I grew up on sail boats, and as I got older, spent a lot of time on friends or charting 40 foot + sail boats. However, I just love being on the water, and owning a sail boat is a very expensive proposition!

So two years ago, my wife and I started to look for a boat. My friends all had Malibus, and the only other brand names I new of at the time were Sea Ray, Four Winns, and Mastercraft. The Four Winns dealer was doing what he could to keep my wife and I to not look at an inboard boat. Stating poor performance, poor turing at slow speeds, no reverse, impossible to dock. I figured it I can back in a 44 foot sail boat into a slip with a 60 hp inboard with a 15 or 20 knot x-wind, I could handle a 300 + hp 22 or 24 powerboat. So I left the Four Winns dealer annoyed. The next dealer we went to was Malibu, and I was impressed the seating configurations, the tower, everything. Across the street was the Sea Ray dealer, so that was our next destination. However, the Sea Ray dealer, also carried Moomba and Supra. Once my wife and I saw the black Sunsport, we were hooked. Especially when you see an inboard sitting next to a Sea Ray on the show room floor. The Sea Ray has a horrible seating configurations, no storage, a tower that looks like an alien space ship lost its landing gear and a helm stations out of the 60s!

We have had our Supra for two years and I love. My kids are wakeboarding like crazy. My seven year old pops right out of the water, and plans to learn how to jump the wake this season. I even have lost the water skis and now wakeboard too. (Although, I am a little scarred to jump that tidal wave of a wake, but if my seven year old does, I guess old man dad can too.)

In regards to reverse or slow speed, I have no problems, all it takes is patients, and understanding the boats characteristics. The only thing I do not like (and it is not the boat) is the boat buddy.

RED WINE ROCKER
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
When I was young dad had a SEA-RAY(1975)....first boat i got to use.....MERC. lower unit always messing up

Then i got my first BOAT...Merc. lower unit messing up, power unit would fail couldn't lift or lower it....then one mornig went for a spin in the spring came back to the dock for breakfast...went up & ate....came back / boat sunk!( stick poked a hole in the exhaust boot of my lower unit...down she goes)....plus you want to change the impeller?....that's a major hassle.

It's been inboards ever since....(SUPRA'S actually)....Inboards are the "sports-cars" of the lake....and i like direct over v-drive but they are both very nice.

..... i will say that the damn props cost an arm & a leg!

chautauquasun
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I too grew up with I/Os but my rich friend's Dad bought a brand new 1986 Supra Sunsport when we where in high school and I immediately fell in love and never could shake it. It made my 1975 MFG 165 I/O look pretty weak.

Fast Forward 22 years and I was finally in a place to buy a boat and found a 1984 Supra Rider with the 351 PCM motor. Again...the boat has a lot of problems. I am losing sleep at night worrying about the stringers, I seem to have a pretty serious leak, I think the choke isnt working correctly, the upholestry needs some work......but......

Man I took it out last night for a 45 minute run....OMG that sound of the inboard, could there be a more beautiful sound. The instant power, the sound of the 4 barrels opening up, the amazing handling...the smile on my 11 year olds face. No doubt I am sold. All my worries went away. Standing there looking at it on the dock...it has the low stance in the water which makes it look meanacing. Even after 22 years I am still amazed at how good that design still looks.

Blackntan90
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Man do I love this thread, thanks Jack! Reading everybodies stories just makes me want to go to the lake and never come back- if only my daily commute was with my Supra, instead of my Subaru!

mapleleaf
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Man do I love this thread, thanks Jack! Reading everybodies stories just makes me want to go to the lake and never come back- if only my daily commute was with my Supra, instead of my Subaru!

Funny you mention the commute, I'm going to be working on a house this summer across the city, that I could get to by boat.....the thouht has crossed my mind more than once....dock the boat, quick bike ride and I'm there.....
It'd be a solid 40 minute drive too......I'm thinking I'll have to do it once or twice......What are the chances I actually work those days!!!

dndsam
06-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Corvette on water! Powerful, responsive and can't beat the sound of an inboard. Nothing compares.

cwood
06-11-2009, 03:12 AM
I am new to this forum as i am new to supra. But i like what i am reading! i didnt grow up on boats, and was lucky to go with my girlfriend and her family in highschool (she is now my wife). About 7 years ago, she talked me into getting a boat, so we went with a 2001 sea ray 210 bowrider. It was a great boat. Rarely had any issues at all, and served our needs perfectly. But as the kids have gotten older, and you see more and more "wakeboard" boats on the water, i started looking around for fun. My wife really wanted nothing to do with them, as she always felt that the cabins were two shallow, and didnt feel "secure", and they certainly wouldnt ride as well. Anyway, we looked at a supra about a year ago, and really liked everything they had to offer, and it settled her thoughts of a deep cabin. Perfect pass, seating configuration, tower, swim platform, cargo bimini were features we really liked. And relativey speaking, the pricing for a brand new one was fair. But needless to say, we couldnt afford to buy a new boat. So we waited, and looked at other brands for fun in the last year (Centurion, Tige, Mastercraft and Correct Craft). While they were nice boats, it didnt make any sense to pay so much more money, for no real added benefits, and kept thinking that if we could ever do a new one, we liked Supra best. But still, just couldnt justify buying a brand new boat, especially since there was nothing wrong with ours. However, with this "economic downturn", we were able to benefit, and were able to get a brand new, dealer bankrupt holdover for a song, and we just couldnt pass it up! So, with that long story, we have had our 08 Launch 24ssv since memorial weekend, and have had it out 3 or 4 times already. We love it! The room is unbelievable. Even with a full load of family and friends. The difference in wakeboarding behind this boat, vs my sea ray, is incomparable. the perfect pass makes it so much easier to drive, not having to constantly worry abouy my speeds. And to be able to hang the boards on the racks, instead of having them all on the floor and in the way, gives us even more room. And last weekend, we were able to try our hand a surfing. What a blast! Couldnt do that behind the sea ray. Plus being able to store the board up top, again, adds more room. No crap in the way! i love the swim platform, as it makes the process of putting the wakeboard on so much easier, especially when you are trying to help someone. The seating arrangment, with the pop up seats and the added seat behind the driver, lets everyone watch, and many of our friends that come with us, have said how much better that makes it. I am still having a hard time trying to maneuver at slow speeds around the dock, it is much more difficult than my i/o was. But i am reading a lot of suggestions, and i know i will get it with time. And like others have said, we have had some complemetary remarks at the dock as well! Always cool of course! This seems like a small thing to, but i like the pop-up pylon. We have kids who like the tubes, and before, the rope would drag in the wake when tied to the transom. No rope drag with the pylon. While the overall ride isnt as smooth as the sea ray, it really isnt bad. We dont always have glass water at our lake, so being able to plow thru the rollers is nice. but i have figured out if i fill the center ballast about half way, it helps. Anyway, as you can tell, we really feel like we made a good move, and are happy with our new Supra!!

michael hunter
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
cwood
Welcome to the forum
Once you have tasted the forbidden fruit you can never go back.
Congrats on the new boat. You know you owe us pictures.
There is a post on Wake World forum listed under "hate docking" check it out.
There are many tips on slow speed handling and docking

tg0824SSVGG
06-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome and congrats - I also had an I/O for 10 years - loved the boat. Had turned
it into what people call a Fakeboard boat - has a perfect pass, a tower, killer stereo - etc.

Was fantastic in most regards - great rough water boat - we are hydrofoilers, not really
wakeboarders, so the "wake" is less important to us.

We had always wanted the inboard tho ... LOVE my Supra, still getting used
to the differences - but won't go back to an I/O ...

This is the discussion that Michael referred to:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/704876.html?1244667207

Todd

PICTURES!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 11:22 AM
cwood you lucky duck! what an awesome boat you got!!! welcome to the forum.

If it's choppy out or you want a smoother ride try messing with the wakeplate. If you put it down a little it makes the nose dig into the water more and makes then ride smoother. This might put the nose too low for BIG waves, though. Lets see some pictures!!! :)

saltare inverts
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Pics please.:)

mapleleaf
06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Sometimes the pic's can't come quick enough, gotta see the candy.....

cwood
06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the kind welcomes! And thanks also for the link to that discussion on manuvering this baby. I think i attached a pic...this was the day we picked it up. Dont have any "full body shots" on the water yet. i need to get a couple more.

beast 496
06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
I love the raw power, and sound of a direct drive inboard. She handles like our geat. Add 5 more plates to each Super Trapp and the sound is awsome. I love being able to out run new boats with our little beast 496 HO. How many direct drive inboards can hit 52 MPH on GPS now being sold??? Any way my wife and I were both raised on inboards and love them. You can channel cruise straight as an arrow unlike a stern drive which wonders all over.