PDA

View Full Version : new carpet

denwbaseball
05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
So my 87' sunsport is in real need of new carpet, is this something that I can tackle in a day? Can you use the regular indoor/outdoor carpet thats real cheap or do any need to pony up some more cash for something else? Any suggestions.....

Thanks for the invite Mikey

Salty87
05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
i have a buddy with an 89 sunsport, his carpet is barely glued down at all.

on my 87 saltare, the original carpet was glued down pretty good and would have been a pain to scrape off.

it all depends on how easily yours comes out. getting it stripped, prepped, and new carpet down in 1 day sounds ambitious but i won't say it can't be done. you've also got the side trim panels to carpet too.

if you want indoor/outdoor carpet go for it. that's your call. i got mine from ingles carpet, google em.

denwbaseball
05-08-2009, 10:09 AM
the side panels were actually re-carpeted a few years back rite before I bought the boat.....Also another question....the inside side walls (like to the left and right of the engine) are fiber glass and it runs down to the floor and then kinda turns into the boat on the floor for a few inches....i think it looks really bad, any have this...think i can carpet over it?

Salty87
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
got a pic?...having trouble imagining it.

the carpet should go from the teak step down to the floor and wrap up the backside of the inner wall. the factory carpets the inner wall and drops it into the hull along with the rest of the topcap (inner walls, dash, bow seating, etc.). the hull bottom would be carpeted already, outter wall to outter wall.

you should be able to pull on the bottom of the inner walls and get some room to work with. this was my experience with an 89 sunsport

does not sound like a fun time though.

snap-in carpet would be nice but it will cost a bit more for hardware and binding the edge of the carpet. take a little longer.

denwbaseball
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
this is a pic i stole from Mikey but its the same on my boat.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Dennis glad you could make it over lets see some pics of that sweet blue beauty in the Supra Pride forum!

I have a pic that shows the sidewalls as you are trying to explain. From what I understand, if you want to get under those sidewalls you need to totally remove the top cap of the boat (cut the boat in half!). A few others have done it but I am totally drawing a blank for names or links.

Basically it's a crap-ton of work. What I would personally do is just cut the carpet even with the sidewalls as good as you can and recarpet right up to the edge of the sidewall. In my boat I'm pretty sure the carpet is glued down pretty darn good. I would love to replace mine (it's pretty worn) but I don't wanna do the work!

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3519/20090425_0551.JPG

Now we just gotta get Monty over here to do another ballast install thread. :)

87SunSportMikeyD
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Salty you say you can lift off those screw caps, remove the screws, and the inner wall will be somewhat free from the deck? Very interesting and might mean a recarpeting is possible. But it would still be WAY easier without the top cap of the boat... :)

Salty87
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
that's very different from an 89 or even my 87 saltare.

this is an 89 sunsport...the teak step runs the length of the wall (front seat to back seat)...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/Jacklaketravis.jpg

the saltare isn't too different from yours except there's no lip on the floor and a carpeted trim panel screwed to the wall.

you can see the trim panel on the far side of the engine here:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0228.jpg

your inner hull wall looks screwed to the floor through the lip. all the seat bases need to come out too. not a quick and easy job to get good results.

denwbaseball
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Did you send Monty a link?

Yea thats what i'm thinking of doing cause I hate the lip thats on the floor....i'm going to try to just carpet over it and hope for the best. I'm sure there will be a little bump there but it may turn out nice. I think i'm going to have Menards cut the carpet there so it won't be wavey too....I'll keep guys posted.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Yes I linked Monty but haven't heard from him in a while. Good luck! What have you found when doing carpet research????

denwbaseball
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I haven't found much man....I bout the carpet and the glue and it wasn't even $40 so i'm excited about that. But I've kinda put it on hold cause I cann't get it started for the first time....I had the starter and noid rebuilt so its not that....its turning over fine just not firing, my guess is a wire or a connection rusted, any ideas?

Also on a seperate note, I painted my first hyperlite flate black on top and flate white on bottom, looks bad ass for a board i never use. Just need to make sure that not to set it viynl so the paint doesn't melt onto a seat or something.

michael hunter
05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
What year, engine, fuel injected or carb?

michael hunter
05-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I haven't found much man....I bout the carpet and the glue and it wasn't even $40 so i'm excited about that. But I've kinda put it on hold cause I cann't get it started for the first time....I had the starter and noid rebuilt so its not that....its turning over fine just not firing, my guess is a wire or a connection rusted, any ideas?

Also on a seperate note, I painted my first hyperlite flate black on top and flate white on bottom, looks bad ass for a board i never use. Just need to make sure that not to set it viynl so the paint doesn't melt onto a seat or something.

I posted some ignition tests in the service and repair section, thread named [Fire] I hope it helps.

Ironcross25
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I have an 86 marauder (closed bow version of sunsport) I hate my bare sidewalls. When I rip the floor out and fix my strings I am going to carpet up the sides. I do not plan on pulling the cap. I think it will look much nicer carpeted. When i do this is the question. The motor doesnt move and i have 2 to 3 bolt that are stripped burt dont pull out and all others stay tight so I will go year to year. If I dont have to spent $$ on it I would rather put it towards a tower.

denwbaseball
05-17-2009, 08:06 PM
carpet is finished! looks pretty good....I'll try to get some pictures up soon. What kinda of covers are you guys using? Where did you get it...how much? I need a new one real bad!