PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/opinions on re-do

novice
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I am new to the boating world and have been "lurking" on the forum, gathering information, since I decided to take on a project boat......purchased an 89 Supra Saltare at the end of last season.
I took it around to a couple of boat upholsterers in the area and received quotes in the 5K range.....the last one to see it told me I should do the job myself and she would walk me through it. She has done boat work for years and is currently booked through September but available for consultation.
With 4 teenage boys home for the summer (all but one unemployed) we decided to use the 5K to pay them to assist in the refurbishing.

My question today is:
How true to the original boat do I need to be? The original upholstery was gray with black piping. The boat is black on the bottom and gray on the top and interior. Should I reupholster in the same colors or can I "update" with white upholstery and gray piping?

I'll get one of the teenagers to take pictures and upload them if that will help ;)

Salty87
05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
hi novice, great to see a lurker posting

i can't wait to update the vinyl in my saltare. i've spoken with a few upholsterers too. the best advice i have is to use larger pieces of vinyl and fewer seams. you'll end up with an updated look but you'll also end up with stronger seats...the seams are usually the weak point.

i recently changed the carpet in mine from blue to grey. it's so much plusher too. so i'd say update it as much as you want as long as it doesn't clash. i think these old supra's are still stylish and only get dated looking from the graphics. no point in putting old school looking upholstery back in.

pics are always great

saltare inverts
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I changed my carpet from blue to grey also. I am in the middle of rebuilding the upholstery. It has some learning curves but all over it hasnt been too bad. You can do it it just wont be fast. Atleast I am not.

knoble
05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
how do you sew the seams? I have been told you need an industrial sewing machine to do it and they are very expensive!

jasonba1
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
5k is extremely high in my opinion just for interior we could get it done around here alot cheaper if that interest you at all

novice
05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I agree - 5K is alot of money for not that much upholstery......he surely was padding the bid to cover wood that might need to be replaced, etc.
We live in a lake town - Guntersville - and for a town that has a boat in every other driveway we don't have many folks that do interior boat work. Maybe it is supply vs. demand.
I have a semi-industrial sewing machine that I can use to sew the seat cushions and covers, an air compressor and staple gun and just enough knowledge to be dangerous:rolleyes:

saltare inverts
05-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I am using an old 60s Singer sewing machine. It sews right throught the vinyl. You can get similar ones on ebay for around 300.00 completely refurbished. I got mine out of my mother-in-laws closet, sweet. It will sew through three layers of vinyl and welting cord easily. Just keep fresh needles.