PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Roswell swivell board racks

dapjeff
05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Is there a way to tighten the Roswell swivel racks?

mikebu
05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
In what way do you need to tighten them?

The racks with the push button have a big screw in the bottom you can take out and screw in to secure the racks if they break or during travel...

dapjeff
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
The hinge originally had tension to keep the rack from moving when locked in one of the three positions without having to secure them with the bolt. Now they have some play. I am trying to see if the tension on the hinge controlled by the push button can be adjusted or if I have to live with the "slop".

brian6840
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Roswell has an upgrade this year that is a lot more positive.It's a staight pin from the top,only took 4-5 day's to get after contacting them.They are very good to deal with

thescott
05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
How much did thos set you back Brian?
dapjeff - mine have had play in them from day one. I'll be interested to hear if there is some way to adjust that.
Anyone checked out the titans that come on the 09's. Much better function and looks IMO.

dapjeff
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replys.

Brian, does the pin retrofit the existing rack or is it a new rack?

Scott, My dealer is pricing the Titans and checking availability for existing Supra owners.

My understanding is there are minor differences between the Roswell's and Titan's thread pattern on the mounting plate. This will require the existing block on the tower to be re tapped with the Titan thread pattern.

mikebu
05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
The Pin retrofit uses the board holders from your current Rack, 3 screws on each one to take off, and screws directly onto your tower.

thescott
05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
mikebu - I'm not sure I understand. Is this something you've done? Can you post pics? :confused:

I was out on the lake over the weekend. It was pretty blown out in the afternoons and the ride back to camp was rough. For the first time in the 85 hrs we've put on our boat, one of the racks broke free and swiveled into the 90 degree position. No one was hurt, but you can see how this could be dangerous. I know there is the long bolt on the bottom of the swivel that you can use to lock the racks into place...I'm just not hot on the idea of making my swivel racks...not swivel racks. I don't want to have to be removing/installing that stupid bolt every time we take a board off or put one back. I guess it is better than having the full weight of 2 wakeboards slamming into someone's head.

The ONLY things I'm not completely satisfied with on my 08 22SSV are the Roswell racks. And I'm not to a point of knocking them yet since I've only had this one incident, but the amount of play they have when full of boards and cruising on the lake has bothered me since day one.

thescott
05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I just checked the Roswell site. I didn't see anything about a retrofit kit, but ran across these:

https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=182

Looks similar to the s/u on the new titan swivels on the 09's.

Probably a ton of $$ though...

seems like a more reliable design.

mikebu
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
The picture above is the other Swivel Kit. The exact same thing happened to me on my 07 21v except I had one that wouldn't lock anymore. I called Roswell and they sent me a free pair right away. Changing them out is dead simple. Each Swivel connects with 4 bolts to the tower and 3 bolts to the Board holder. What you can't see from that picture is a small wing shaped piece that bolts to your Board holder with 3 bolts. Even with this new design there is about the same amount of free play in my opinion.

I would give them a call tell them what happened and I bet they will send you out a replacement via warrentee...

thescott
05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm ok with the play, as long as they stay locked. Does the repair kit change the way the swivels work? Or are you just replacing the worn parts? I'm not worried about it being difficult to swap out - I just can't picture what the actual fix is.

Roswell has been good to me. Recently, one of our tines snapped right at one of the threaded holes: see below: They replaced no questions asked. I'll try calling them.

https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=184

mikebu
05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
It is not a repair kit. It replaces the entire swivel. You undo 3 bolts and take of the Board Holder, piece that says Supra and contains the board tines, and undo 4 bots to take the swivel off the tower.

This swivel doesn't utilize a push button to swivel the rack. Instead it has a vertical pin that you pull out when you want to rotate the rack. Not as easy to swivel as the push button but shouldn't break like the rotating ones are prone to do.

jonyb
05-13-2009, 01:09 AM
mikebu, is there anyone in particular at Roswell to talk to about this? I think I'm gonna jump in on this. The black button on the bottom of mine almost take 2 hands to press in after the 2 years I've owned them.

mikebu
05-13-2009, 02:14 AM
http://www.roswellwakeair.com/content/view/16/33/ has their contact info...