PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Impeller for 90 Supra Mariah

tgun
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Just bought the boat to use with my new and growing family. I've spent a lot of time restoring the exterior, carpet and upholstery. Now it's time to check out the motor.

To get to the point, I'm having a hard time understanding where the impeller is located. I don't want to take apart things and screw something up while looking for it.

Thanks,
Tim

Salty87
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
welcome, tgun

the impeller is in the lower pump, it has a belt. the thermostat is in the upper housing.

are you going to change the impeller?

knoble
05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
If it is a 351 it is on the driver side and they are usually jabsco's. take the old impeller out and write the number off of the impeller case. usually when you go to the part counter they will ask for that number!!
:cool:

Dinoz
05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Just make sure to install the housing right side up again. it is very easy to install it upside down. you will know if you did when you start up and you see the temp. climb quickly. simply unscrew the housing again, turn it around and you will be all good!

DZ.

michael hunter
05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Looking at your picture it looks like there is an arrow pointing at the pump.
There are two 1/2" bolts and two hoses, mark the housing with an arrow
pointing up before you remove it so you don't install it upside down.
Then three 7/16" bolts to split the case. [mark the case haves before you split ]
I remove the pump and impeller when I winterize I store the impeller and housing
separate. IMO there is no sense in having the impeller folded over in the pump 8 months out of the year.This also gives me a chance to inspect the impeller I am on my 3rd impeller in 20 years.

chautauquasun
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Once you have removed the water pump it is very easy to take it apart and replace the impellar. I did it for the first time last year...took not time at all and made a big difference in the engine temp. And like a previous message stated make sure you reinstall the water pump in the right direction. When I bought mine, who ever did the maintenance install the water pump upside down so instead of pumping water in it pushes air out. If you boat is in the water and running and you see bubbles coming out from the left side of the boat you will know you install the pump upside down.

tgun
05-13-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks to everybody who helped me out on this. I got the impeller out went to Napa and picked up a new jabsco one with out an issue. The only tricky part was that I had to create my own gasket due to the old one being in bad condition and getting everything lined up correctly proved to be difficult for somebody with fat hands.....

There was some rust buildup in there but I spent the time and managed to clean it up.

Michael, that is some good advice, I will give that a try at the end of this season.

I hooked up the hose and ran it for a while and the temp seemed to hover around 150 so I think I'm good for a launch tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Tim

michael hunter
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Did you have water coming out of the exhaust?

tgun
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Did you have water coming out of the exhaust?

Yes, water is coming out of the exhaust.