PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts

chautauquasun
05-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I noticed today on my boat that the engine mounts have places where they can be bolted to the stringers from the tops and sides. Currently mine just has bolts going down through the top. Is this normal/all I need or should there also be bolts on the sides.?

thanks

Salty87
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
it would be better to have some on the sides too but realistically the engine isn't going anywhere.

you should probably be vigilant for alignment issues as you could get some miniscule movement. but even then, the drivetrain can handle slight variations.

wotan2525
05-12-2009, 12:53 PM
it would be better to have some on the sides too but realistically the engine isn't going anywhere.

you should probably be vigilant for alignment issues as you could get some miniscule movement. but even then, the drivetrain can handle slight variations.

I found out my stringers were bad because the engine actually moved to the side... this caused the propshaft to go out of alignment and wore a hole through the side of the shaft log. What a nightmare!

I say add a few extra bolts and pray there is good wood for them to bite into!!

csuggs
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I think mine has two long bolts in each from the top, and one short bolt in each from the side.

knoble
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I pull mine out once or twice a year. Usually at the beginning and end of the seaon. Just to see if they are wet or there is any rot. I think that is the best way to see the cindition of your stringers. I also put in stainless stell lager bolts and use marine caulk around the top to keep water out!
:cool:

chautauquasun
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I found out my stringers were bad because the engine actually moved to the side... this caused the propshaft to go out of alignment and wore a hole through the side of the shaft log. What a nightmare!

I say add a few extra bolts and pray there is good wood for them to bite into!!

Wotan...thanks for the warning.... I am going to check my alignment this weekend. How do you know if the shaft log has a hole in it or is wearing. I am getting water in my boat..not a ton but if I pump out the boat in the morning..by the next morning it needs pumped out again. Water is usually just above the top of the bilge pump....not a ton but enough that I need to pump it before I run it. Does this sound like a worn shaft log or is it just the packing. The packing has not been replaced in mine in a long time....so it needs it.

Also when you say a feeler gauge...what is that where do I find one. I think I can picture what you are saying...like a jacknife with the various feelers that extend out? is that correct?

wotan2525
06-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not much help on this because I have a dripless shaft seal on mine. I can just pull the rubber boot and inspect the log. I suspect my shaft seal is leaking but I haven't dove into that project yet. Bilge pump is more than enough to handle the small amount of water that comes in and probably runs for 2-3 minutes/hour.

Good luck!

Salty87
06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
sounds like packing to me. i don't think there's really such a thing as a slow shaft log leak. if you do have packing, it's designed to leak very slowly.

feeler gauge... http://www.reluctantmechanic.com/images/thickness_gauge.jpg

imagine that the face of the transmission output and the face of the shaft coupler are similar to 2 dinner plates. they need to stack together very flat. push the 2 plates together and insert the feeler gauge all the way around. if the gauge binds on one side and has a larger gap on the other side, you need to move the engine a bit. the side it binds on will dictate which way the engine gets moved.

procedures are posted under....drum roll....alignment procedures. not really fun stuff.

michael hunter
06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Wotan...thanks for the warning.... I am going to check my alignment this weekend. How do you know if the shaft log has a hole in it or is wearing. I am getting water in my boat..not a ton but if I pump out the boat in the morning..by the next morning it needs pumped out again. Water is usually just above the top of the bilge pump....not a ton but enough that I need to pump it before I run it. Does this sound like a worn shaft log or is it just the packing. The packing has not been replaced in mine in a long time....so it needs it.

Also when you say a feeler gauge...what is that where do I find one. I think I can picture what you are saying...like a jacknife with the various feelers that extend out? is that correct?

My mounts are like csuggs two bolts in the top one in the side.
If you have a fax number I will fax a copy of the shaft alignment procedure.

chautauquasun
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
My mounts are like csuggs two bolts in the top one in the side.
If you have a fax number I will fax a copy of the shaft alignment procedure.

Thanks...makes me feel better that it is just the packing. I am going up again this weekend and an hoping to do some work on the alignment and packing issues. I will PM you my fax Michael.

thanks!!