PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Pitot

Okie Boarder
05-12-2009, 10:58 AM
During my process of buffing I caught the hose of the speedo pitot with the buffer and broke the pitot at the top where the hose attaches and is held on with the compression nut type fitting. I tried to super glue it and it seems like it is holding in place OK, but the speedo doesn't work. Does it sound like I should replace the pitot? Should I replace the hose too? DIM has a pitot and hose that is slightly different. I'd love to replace it with factory if I need to replace it. Any ideas on things I can check with respect to trying to fix it?

Salty87
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
hey okie

those pitots don't have many moving parts. the hoses get brittle and crack, and the pitots get clogged with junk...not much else that can go wrong. i guess the hoses inside the boat can leak too.

skidim has a paddle wheel speedo too. i installed it but forgot to finish hooking up the wiring before i slid my sub into place. gonna wait to mess with it. so, i can't comment on how well it works but i like the idea more than i like the pitots.

csuggs
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Okie -
You may have the original Airguide pitot, which are no longer available, and there is not a direct replacement with holes that match exactly. Close, but not exactly. I have an original that I'm not using if you want it, let me know. I replaced both of mine this year with the tournament pitot from DIM. They have a "flow-thru" feature that prevents clogging. I also replaced the tubing in my boat. Some boats, mine included, have an additional "expansion chamber" which is nothing more than a brass tube with hose fittings on each end. It's supposed to keep your speedo needle more steady. Check to make sure there's not a leak there - mine was cracked and had to be soldered. Anyway, I really like the flow-thru tournament pitots because I take a rigid wire that I keep in the truck and run it through the pitot whenever I load the boat on the trailer. Then you're good for the next time out and won't have clogging!

jasonba1
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey okie boarder, if you are wanting the originals for your boat. Jim at viper customs has mine that I am sure he would let go very very cheap, I upgraded to the new guages and paddlewheel. So he has all of my gauges pilots etc.

Okie Boarder
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds good guys. I'm definitely interested in replacing with original for now. Everything was fine with the speedo until I caught it with the buffer. I'm thinking I clogged the hole when I super glued it back together, so if I just get the pitot with the nut, I should be able to just attach it to the hose that is already there. That would be my ideal solution for now. Hopefully next year I'll get PP put in and the speedos won't really matter anymore :cool:

csuggs, how much?

csuggs
05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Oops, sorry Okie. I haven't been on here for a while and missed your message. I'll go look at mine now.
Clint

Okie Boarder
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Sounds good. Let me know if you want to sell it and for how much. I'd love to be able to install the pitot and just attach it to the hose. I may need the nut of the hose...would that be included?

csuggs
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm really hoping that it didn't get thrown out, but I can't find it now. I was sure that I still had it on the bench in the garage. Have you checked with Jim at Viper Customs?

jasonba1
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I know that iper mine that he took off of my boat and probably has more than that

Okie Boarder
05-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Nope, hadn't checked with Jim yet. Can someone remind me of his number?

jasonba1
05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
865-388-4096