PDA

View Full Version : 86 ts6m carb just dumping fuel at idle and shut off

gerdy
05-12-2009, 04:20 PM
i fired up my boat last week and it ran fine. it hasent moved. when i fired it up today the carb was just dumping fuel and would not idle. also when it was shut down it was still dumping fuel. im assuming the float is stuck but i dont see how. any suggestions?

knoble
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Gummed up fuel over time. It happens! Try tapping on the bowl with a large screwdriver or "dead-blow" hammer. Sometimes that works. You may need a rebuild. Also try running it and manually choking the carb by hand. Choking the engine as much ass possible without killing it a couple times. Disconnect the throttle off the carb first so you can control the throttle at the carb to keep it running while you are choking it! If their is dirt in their choking it out will sometimes pull it out. Most likely you need a rebuild. I always throw some marvel mystery oil in the gas for the first two tanks every season to blow out any build up. It has an effective detergent in it and clean the carb and the valves in your engine very well!
Hope this helps!!
:D

rickr
05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Holley?????

Same happened to me last week :( The tapping screwdriver worked for me.

First of the season I loosened one of the bottom screws on each bowl, removed the inlet line, cleaned the filter screen and hosed down with carb cleaner. Squirt into fuel inlet, air bleed holes (2 small holes near each barrel) and vent tubes.

DO NOT LOOK DOWN BARRELS WHEN TRYING TO CRANK A FLOODED ENGINE!!!!!!!! IT WILL BE PRONE TO BACKFIRE!!!!!!!!

gerdy
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
yes it a holley. I'll try hitting it and see if that works. i've seen my buddy's
ski supreme do the same thing. thanks for the help

86supraproject
05-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Same thing happend to my holley this year. I ended up pulling the float bowls and cleaning out everything and lowering the float a little. Idles and runs grat now. Check the needle and seat also,doesnt take much to make it stick.

hoosier skier
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Same thing happened to me but it was caused by water in the fuel causing corrosion in the float pivots and needles. The tank vent on a TS6M is so close to the water line that it can take in water. I have a fuel separator with a drain valve and I drain it down daily. Hope this helps.

csuggs
05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Little bit of advice too late for this season, but good for next. Towards the end of the season, begin mixing fuel stabilizer with your gas when you fill up. You can let is sit all winter and fire right up in the spring! I use the stuff in the red bottle called STA-BIL.