PDA

View Full Version : Cup Holders?

wotan2525
05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
What have all of you done with your cupholders? My boat had those really crappy wire-basket ones and they all broke within a season. I'd like to figure out something that is more like the stock "pod" ones....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SSi-OEM-Boat-or-RV-Drink-Holder-2-Stainless-Steel-Cups_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m3ef452513dQQitemZ270387007805QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5f AccessoriesQ5fGear

Something like that, but I think it might look really awful if the color is a different shade than the gelcoat (which it probably will be.)

Any other opinions, ideas?

tg0824SSVGG
05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Dunno - mine are all stainless from teh factory

Salty87
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
this is the best pic i have...what happened to your OEM stuff?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/boatinishardwork.jpg

i want to cut some openings in the side walls for storage. you could stash cupholders in there. i really don't like my cupholders being in the sun all day.

do you have rear speakers?

wotan2525
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
this is the best pic i have...what happened to your OEM stuff?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/boatinishardwork.jpg

i want to cut some openings in the side walls for storage. you could stash cupholders in there. i really don't like my cupholders being in the sun all day.

do you have rear speakers?

I really need to make some pods like that.... that would be ideal!! Whoever redid the interior on my boat must have removed them or destroyed them. I've never seen those pods before. I have my rear speakers mounted in that location but they are mounted directly in the fiberglass. There isn't any upholestery or trim. A tweeter is mounted over the hole that (I would guess) held that cupholder on/speaker pod on. I'd love to find a set of those pods that I could have vinyled. Maybe I can make some.... hmmm......

Your boat is an 87? Mine had a teak rail around the back... not that chrome one....

Salty87
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Your boat is an 87? Mine had a teak rail around the back... not that chrome one....

yeah, that's weird. i wonder if one was an option?

the pods are really simple. the base is sort of shaped like an upside down house. there's the speaker hole towards the bottom, up top there's a smaller hole for the wire to the light under the cupholders, and then the cupholder section is screwed onto the upside down house base. then it's all covered with vinyl. (the cupholder part might be covered seperately and then screwed to the base) the lights are wired to the dash, can't remember which switch.

that link you put up plus the base and some vinyl and you're pretty much there. although, a small piece of plywood and a hole saw and you don't even need to buy anything cept the actual cupholder...might as well go ss

wotan2525
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
That's exactly what I'm thinking right now... I could buy SS cupholder inserts... wire in some LEDs and fab the plywood backers, really, really easy. I wonder how much a local vinyl place would charge me to stitch up some vinyl to make the whole thing match. Time to hit-up CraigsList!