PDA

View Full Version : I did not winterize my Supra 24 SSV

hummbling
05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
The last time I used it was during the warm months so the boat hasn't been in the water since Aug of last year. Its been in a dry storage garage ever since then. I never winterized it because I moved out of State for work. The move was so unexpected that I didn't have a chance to winterize it myself and I didn't have anyone who could have taken it in for me. Its my understanding that Dallas Tx. (where its still located) had a few days below freezing.I hope its going to be okay because I'm using it for memorial weekend. Should I be worried?:o

michael hunter
05-17-2009, 09:55 PM
If it got below freezing inside the garage you should be worried. Do you have freeze insurance coverage?

hummbling
05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't and I'm sure it did get that cold in that garage. Should I just put in the water and start it up and then let it warm up for a bit?

wotan2525
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
In my opinion, inside a garage in a place where it only dropped a little before freezing for a few days is not enough to be COMPLETELY concerned. Is there a chance that you have problems? Yes. Is there a chance you're safe? Yes.

Only way to tell is to start flushing lines and the engine block and see where water comes out. Good luck! Keep us updated!!

michael hunter
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Run it on a hose before you go to the lake. Watch for water leaks around the engine
and keep an eye on the oil for water and of coarse temp. If you survive this go and buy a lottery ticket you will probubly win. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

hummbling
05-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the information. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they can pick it up for me. They store about 25 of their personal boats at the same place I do. If not I found a local mechanic that does alot of work on boats stored where mine is. He's been doing it for about 25 years and everyone says he one of the best in the DFW area. I'll keep you updated

michael hunter
05-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Thats sounds like a good idea. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

milner351
05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
given this scenario I doubt you've cracked any iron castings - however, I'd pay very close attention to all your fluids after start up if everything appears OK.

The atf / water coolers are made out of copper - much more prone to damage from a "light freeze" than the engine block/head/intake/tstat housing/sea pump housing.

If the trans cooler is cracked internally you'll quickly mix water with your atf and your trans will be shot in short order. I just had my trans rebuilt and replaced the cooler for this reason.

csuggs
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Not sure about Hummbling's boat, but on mine the heat exchanger that cools the trans will not hold water once the boat is out of the water because it is mounted vertically and will drain through the hull. But assuming that it did hold water, that may very well be a weak spot, especially if it is old.

Curtis
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I keep my 84 supra in a non-insulated single garage in the great state of Arkansas, where temps can get pretty low in the winter time...Im guilty of the same, not winterizing it last year...Had it out twice this year already and has been running like a top...has a 351 ford windsor (motor only has 200hrs)..replaced the tranny last year..Looking forward to another Great Summer!!

csuggs
05-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Not sure about Hummbling's boat, but on mine the heat exchanger that cools the trans will not hold water once the boat is out of the water because it is mounted vertically and will drain through the hull. But assuming that it did hold water, that may very well be a weak spot, especially if it is old.

Ooops - my bad! When I wrote the above reply last night I was trying to visualize the heat exchanger from my office at work. I looked at it last night and realized that I was mistaken. The heat exchanger does hold water even after you pull the boat onto the trailer. I'll need to remember that for next winter!

dfred
05-28-2009, 12:38 AM
there were no real hard freezes in Dallas this year i woudl not worry. we would have had to have a good hard freeze before you needed to worry. i dont remember the ground freezing at all.

michael hunter
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Hummbling
Did you have any freeze damage? Can you pose an update to this post?