PDA

View Full Version : Props

chautauquasun
05-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Here is a description and pictures of two props for sale that I found on the internet. Would these fit my Supra? Again the boat is 2 hours away so I cant go and check...thought maybe you guys could tell me if they would fit. Looks like maybe there are for a dual prop boat but not sure. Price seems right if they will fit.

new in boxes
13 x 11 L1
13 x 11 R1
1 inch shaft tapers to 3/4 inch
depth is 2 3/4 inches
1/4 inch square key way
price is firm 200.00 for both

wotan2525
05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a little confused about the 1" that tapers to 3/4"... that seems like too much taper to me to fit correctly. Your prop should be 1" and Left Hand Rotation. 13x11 should work for you but I think stock was 13x12... a 13x11 will work and if you don't like it you can have it repitched to whatever you want.

chautauquasun
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
The higher the pitch the more torque less speed...or is it the other way around?

csuggs
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
The first number is the diameter, second number is the pitch. More pitch means that the the prop wants to push (or move) more water with every revolution, meaning faster top-end speeds if you have the horsepower. A smaller pitch will give you more bottom-end torque for a better hole-shot and a little less top speed. Your boat is an '84 and mine's an '86 but they are very similar. The OEM prop for my boat is 13x13 LH with a 1" bore. My top speed is about 42-44 which is plenty. If I were to add ballast for a bigger wake I would probably drop to a 12 pitch.

chautauquasun
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
so the pitch on those probably would not be good unless I am planning on putting in some fat sacks for more wake? Correct? Also not sure about the taper liek Wotan mentioned. What do you guys think would it be worth picking these up to have as an extra prop? Or no....I can only use one of them by the looks of it.

csuggs
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
When I bought my boat the prop was bent on the tips so I ordered a reman from the Supra dealer for about $200 - OJ prop just like new. Then I will take my old one and have it rebuilt for a spare. Can't hurt having a spare - I would just be sure you can use it before spending money on it. The dealer I ordered from was near Deep Creek, MD - not too far from you in Pittsburgh. I'll see if I can find the number.
Clint

csuggs
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Dan -
I just checked my old prop. It does have a tapered bore and measures roughly 0.95" on one side and .0825" on the other with a good set of calipers. But it feels like there could be some corrosive build-up on it so the actual measurment is probably something like 1.00" and 0.875" (7/8). The keyway is 0.25". I'm relatively sure yours will be the same.

knoble
05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
You have a 1" prop shaft and left hand rotation. So most likely the one with the "r" will not work for you. The first number is the diameter. 13" is correct for the sunsport and the second is the pitch which for the sunsport I believe is 13 also. the Pitch is the theoretical distance a prop moves forward in one revolution. The following propeller has a 13 pitch that will theoretically result in 13” of forward travel in one revolution. However, in the real world, the propeller experiences “slippage” so that its actual travel per revolution is less than the stated pitch. add 1 inch for cupped props

:cool:

csuggs
05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Dan - There are lots of places to get props, but here's where I got mine. I was in a hurry and they had it on the shelf, plus they are close so delivery was overnight at no extra charge. Performance Boats in Boonsboro, MD 301-582-4127 (western MD). I wouldn't spend the money on a new one because the reman is every bit as good as a new one - maybe not as shiny, but on our older Supra's what difference does it make? BTW - the prop I removed from the boat when I bought it last year was from 1985, so maybe it was the original, or maybe it was already a reman?

Salty87
05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
my $.02...if your current prop came with the boat, get a new one. the prop is where the rubber meets the road. reman'd props, depending on how much work had to be done, are smaller than a new prop. they grind it down a bit. i sent my acme prop back to acme when i dinged it once, almost cried when it came back noticeably smaller.

if you're looking for a back-up prop, a used/reman'd one is fine.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry I totally missed this thread. Your prop should be a 13xXX 1" bore, LH ONLY. Yes it is a tapered bore. I have never heard of multiple types of taper and it should fit. The reason it's tapered is so it can fit your prop shaft and slide on until snug.

What XX or pitch you want depends on what you're doing, and if it's worth the price of a CNC prop. Any CNC prop will be better than a cast prop of the same size and pitch.

My boat came with a 13x13 as a speed prop and a 13x12 for a bit more low end power. Since I am running while heavily weighted I just bought an ACME#913 which is 13x10.5.

If you are just skiing pretty casually, deepwater starts but not running a course a 13x12 should be fine even if it's cast. 13x11 even better because it gives you the great hole shot for big guy deep water slalom starts.

If you are more serious about skiing definitely look into a CNC prop. If you want to run weight my cast 13x12 was fine until I got over 6-800 lbs. Many people run weight on a CNC 13x11, but ACME's newest prop for our boats for running over 1000lbs+ weight is the ACME#913 13x10.5. OJ told me their newest, best wake prop is a 13.25x10.5. They said they made the blad just a touch wider and it works fine on our models.

FYI the old Ski Nauti '2001' models are similar engines, trans, etc and they use the exact same props we do, but in RH rotation. So the wake prop for them is an ACME#911 13x10.5 RH ROTATION.

I tried to find opinions on OJ vs ACME. I got lots of positive reviews of both. More calling around finally got someone relaible to tell me their OPINION was that ACME was thicker, less brittle and they were easier to repair.

I got a great price on a new ACME913 13x10.5 only (hah) about $370 shipped through Nettle Props http://www.nettleprops.com/. They are super friendly, helpful, knowledgable, called me back to confirm shipping, and always picked up the phone. A+ with me so far and the best price by more than $50.

Good luck, let me know if that helps at all...;)