PDA

View Full Version : gas gage went out

USMCloeper
05-18-2009, 03:36 PM
:mad:the damn thing quit reading over the winter. how do i tell if it is a sensor or the gage it self? and how does one go about replacing the sensor if it is that?

this is quite more helpfull than trial and error. or the guy at west marine

saltare inverts
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Mine went out also. I pulled the storage above the gas tank out and replaced the sending unit, wires and dash gauge all at once. The sending unit is mounted on top and goes into the gas tank. Your wire are probably ok I just wanted to cover all bases. I would start with checking all connections first. I bet something came loose on dash. If not then replace sending unit. It is not hard to do any of it. Sending units are relatively cheap.

csuggs
05-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Check the ground wire first - on both ends!

knoble
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Nine times out of ten its the sending unit. Take out the out on and go to boaters world or boat u.s.(if there is on by you) and you can pick up a universal or one almost the same for 20-30 bucks. Connect the wire to it turn on the ignition and move the sender up and down if the gauge works then there you go! If not keep your receipt and return it!

:cool:

Salty87
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
take the wire off the sending unit and ground it on the tank, the gauge should peg to full.

milner351
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
always check grounds first....

USMCloeper
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
thanks for the tip i will check it out this weekend when i get a chance to work on it