PDA

View Full Version : Battery

chautauquasun
05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Okay I am taking everyones advice and buying a new battery for the boat to try and get it started. At this point i am just looking to buy a starting battery and not looking to run accessories. Can I buy a high amp battery from an autoparts store or should I buy a marine battery. I found a high amp battery at tractor supply for a low price but am not sure if I should spend the extra money and buy a marine version. Again...looking for a very high amp battery to get it started on a regular basis..and hopefully to help over come the starting issues when the engine is hot.

Any advice?

Blackntan90
05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I have been using an Interstate cranking battery for about 5 seasons now, been good for starting, but not for accy's. It's a group 27 size The marine versions are a bit more rugged than an auto battery, but I don't remember seeing marine on mine!

wotan2525
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I've got a 3 battery setup but a starting battery is a starting battery. "Marine" batteries are intended for a mix of use between deep-cycle and cranking. If you only need the cranking -- any battery will do.

Salty87
05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
yeah, save the bucks for new battery cables. you might check the ground on your block too, clean it up.

knoble
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Buy a marine starting battery. You do not need a deep cycle! Also take your battery to autozone and get it load tested. They will do it for free and might save some cash on something you do not need! Also when you try and start it does the positive cable get hot after a short time? That's a sure sign you starter is bad!!

:cool: