PDA

View Full Version : 01 launch ssv steering cable

kneeboarder40
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Anyone know the best place to get a new steering cable for a 2001 launch ssv? I also have the motor & tranny out right now to replace the drive plate and was wondering if there is any seals or anything i should replace while i have it apart?

wotan2525
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
How many hours on the engine? Running well when you pulled it? If you see a rebuild in the future... now would be the time to do it.

skidim.com will have the steering cable for you.

I'd add a remote oil drain (if you don't already have one) this makes changing the oil a lot easier and there's something I just never trusted about sucking the engine oil out of the top. Pirtek can make you the hose if you bring them in your oil drain plug.

kneeboarder40
05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks wotan. I think the motor is good,the reason i pulled it out was because i had a ticking noise when i put it in gear sounded like a engine tick but only when in gear. I'm hoping it was the drive plate could not find anything else wrong. is there a seal on the drive shaft that runs out the bottom of the boat?

robdaniel1
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I have a 2001 Launch. I started hearing a ticking noise about 1 year ago, has gotten louder over time. I currently have mine at a shop in Woodstock Georgia checking it out.

The higher the RPM's the louder the tick.

I thought it might be a lifter, but will find out soon enough. If anyone else has experienced this, I would be interested in what you found.

Engine has 375 hours and I have changed the oil often?

Thanks,

Rob

wotan2525
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, ticking could be related to the thru-hull seal. If it's only when it's in gear then you can rule out the engine.

Robdaniel -- your ticking could be a lifter or a noisy valve (or a number of other things.) An easy way to tell is to pull off the valve cover and run it for a few seconds. Try to isolate if it's coming from a valve. If it is.... tighten that valve until the clicking stops and then go another quarter turn. This is how I adjust my valves, anyway.

Also -- check the oil level? Try to overfill it slightly and see if the ticking goes away.

robdaniel1
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes, ticking could be related to the thru-hull seal. If it's only when it's in gear then you can rule out the engine.

Robdaniel -- your ticking could be a lifter or a noisy valve (or a number of other things.) An easy way to tell is to pull off the valve cover and run it for a few seconds. Try to isolate if it's coming from a valve. If it is.... tighten that valve until the clicking stops and then go another quarter turn. This is how I adjust my valves, anyway.

Also -- check the oil level? Try to overfill it slightly and see if the ticking goes away.

The guys at ProBoat in Woodstock checked the compression and found no compression on 2 of the cylinders. 4 and 6. They think it is a head gasket. Boat only has 375 hours, I have always changed the oil and was running at 40 mph and not hot.
The ticking was very light last summer and progressively got worse. I asked for a best case and worst case scenario for an estimate. Of course they would not know until they pulled it all apart, but they said probably somewhere around $1,500 to $2,500.

Has anyone used an auto mecanic for their inboard engine. Recognize the differences, but a 350 chevy is still a 350 chevy...right? ProBoat charges $95.00 per hour.

Looks like it is going under cover for a while. No $$$ to fix it.

Rob