PDA

View Full Version : Slight Miss

Okie Boarder
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I have a bit of a miss on idle. I'll recap what has been done already...

Replaced: Fuel filter, spark plugs, cap/rotor/points.
Checked: Timing and spark plug wires...all good.

I just had the carb rebuilt to correct a hesistation issue.

It runs really good, but has a slight miss at idle and you can kind of feel it if you just barely engage it in gear and it is idling. Other than that it is fine.

It's the 351W motor.

I'm thinking recheck the points and timing. Any other thoughts?

Blackntan90
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I replaced my troublesome points with an electronic retrofit from Pertronix, I have not had any issues since. It was very easy to install and I have not had to touch it at all- I used to have all kinds of problems with the points.

michael hunter
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Do you know witch cylinder is missing? Do you know how to find the problem cylinder?
It may be a vacuum leak at the intake or vac hose.

saltare inverts
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I had the same problem with a 351w in my last boat (1983 Ski naughty). I started using octane booster, which is cheaper than higher octane fuel after I did everything I could think of. That fixed the problem. Also do that in my Supra Saltare now.

bellsons
05-20-2009, 12:27 AM
For pete sake, get rid of those points.
Use good gas and put a dose of seafoam on your gas and oil to clean it out.
Also check your plug and coil wires.
Make sure they aren't worn or grounding out somewhere.
Mostly though, the points have to go.

csuggs
05-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Ditto on the point about the points! Nix 'em. I mean, you may have other problems as well, but at least with the Pertronix ignition you have eliminated ever having a problem with points again.

Okie Boarder
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
The electronic ignition is going to have to wait until winter, but it is on my list. Should I start with checking the points?

No, I don't know (or remember really) how to identify the problem cylinder. Can you refresh me?

I've checked the plug and rotor wires, but I'll double check them.

I just realized I put this in General Chat instead of Service & Repair. Whoops.

michael hunter
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
belsons, csuggs
You guys are very hard on the points. I still have them in my 89 and I will never get rid of them. If you know how to set them they work great.I replace them every spring set the dwell to 30 degrees and we are good all season. The best part is I can fix anything that
goes wrong with the primary ignition system with my Swiss army knife. If your pick up or module goes you will have to be towed.

michael hunter
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Okie

Check the dwell with a dwell meter if you don't have one pull the dist cap bump the engine
over until the points open on the highest part of the eight sided cam inside the dist.
The gap should be .18-.20 or about the thickness of a match book cover.

To find the missing cyl pull up and set them in the hole all the spark plug wires at the dist
cap. Start the engine and one at a time pull the wires off the cap [use insulated pliers]
watch the tach the one that doesn't change is the missing cyl

Blackntan90
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Micheal, good point on having a module go bad, so far mine has been trouble free but I think I will throw a set of points in my kit as I do not like to be towed- it's embarassing!

michael hunter
05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Micheal, good point on having a module go bad, so far mine has been trouble free but I think I will throw a set of points in my kit as I do not like to be towed- it's embarassing!

Make sure you also get a condenser .

Okie Boarder
05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I'll mess with it tonight to see if I can isolate the missing cylinder. I don't have a dwell meter so I'll just have to gap the points. I'll check that first, then try pulling the wires at the cap one at a time to isolate the cylinder that is missing.