PDA

View Full Version : De-winterizing Questions?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey guys I am THIS CLOSE to getting back on the water for the season. Hoping to drop her in this weekend. This is my first time dewinterizing this boat and I want to check a few more things to be sure all is in order.
I winterized it last fall with my dad. We just drained the block and hoses, added antifreeze, and stablizer to gas.

-I am planning on changing the engine oil and filter.
-Check the trans oil and possibly change.
-Check the impeller (where do i access this?) and lube it (looking for more info)
-Charge batteries

Any other tips? Newb question I know

michael hunter
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Mikey
The impeller should be in the belt driven pump on the drivers side front of the engine.
Follow the hose down from the thermostat . Remove the pump split it the impeller is inside
note mark the two halves and put an arrow pointing up to help in reinstalling it car be put on upside down. Do all you mentioned in your post put a bucket under the exhaust to catch the antifreeze and run it on a water hose.

mapleleaf
05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm think'in the same, I'll be hooked up to the hose this weekend, any perticular lube for the impeller????

michael hunter
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I just put a light coating of vas o leen on the inside of the housing just to get over the dry start.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Do I have to remove pullies to do this?

I went last night to drain my oil. The boat has the oil drain line which I stuck through one of the drain holes. Should've warmed the engine first because it was SO SLOW! Have to go back tonight to finish up and put her in hopefully.

Found a couple pics

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/uploads/post-5-1104621496.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/critterCQB/IMG_1065.jpg

mapleleaf
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Just finished hooking up the fake a lake...... She started right up and all the fluid's looked good... Had oil and tranny fluid done in late summer last year and they still seem clean.....

Don't think my neighbour's were to pleased about the 8 purring on the street!!!!

Salty87
05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
what's the first pic of? i'm confused...you've got a 454? you'll have to remove a belt.

i've heard of using dish soap to lube the impeller. something in me tells me that petroleum jelly and rubber are a bad combination.

Okie Boarder
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
something in me tells me that petroleum jelly and rubber are a bad combination.

That's how people get accidental kids :p

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Salty sorry the top pic was just a random google search pic. Couldn't find anything of a 351 really...

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Wotan posted this in my other thread: You've got the 351, right? Should be lower drivers side of the engine... follow the raw water access from the trans-cooler. Pull the belt and pulley off and you should find the bolts to access the impellor cover.

I don't lube mine. I just plan on replacing it every other season as a preventitive thing. Only time I've roached one is when I forgot to turn the valve for the water-inlet back on.

Salty87
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
ahhh, gotcha

wotan is right, there's a pulley on the water pump. disconnect the hoses (remembering which one goes where), remove the mounting bolts and take the whole thing to the bench.

riveredge
05-23-2009, 12:14 PM
The logic behind a little lube on the impeller (or at least this is why I do it) is to protect it from being run totally dry. It's pretty tight in its housing and if it doesn't have water in there for a few seconds when you first drop the boat in the lake, it could damage the impeller. Even just some silicone spray will do the trick, really.

FoiltechLaunch21V
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with Riveredge a little lube when replacing the impeller helps with the dry start until water gets pulled up to it. The lube should get washed out pretty quick after the water starts to flow.

wotan2525
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I've always used a little vaseline on there.... I know guys that do a quick coating of vaseline before they winterize to make sure it doesn't dry out. Since I know mine is submerged in RV antifreeze all winter.... I don't worry about it as much.