PDA

View Full Version : Overheat

Venshnub
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I have an 06 Supra comp which got very hot 1st time out for the season. I had changed the impeller and oil before I went out. After I shut it down and opened up the filter to make sure it was clean and then restarted it cooled off and ran fine. Is this something to worry about.

csuggs
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Is water coming out the exhaust?

Venshnub
05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I did not check the exhaust but i could see that water was being pulled throuch the filter. When it started getting hot initially the filter was only 2/3 full.

tg0824SSVGG
05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Don't know if this applies to your boat, but I saw some earlier posts about
making sure you don't put the cover on upside down after changing the impeller.

chautauquasun
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Not sure if the newer engines have the same issue as mine. With the old 351w PCM motors it is very easy to install the water pump upside down when you reinstall it. It doesnt sound like that is the problem if your are see water being pulled through the filter and that it didnt overheat again....

lowdrag
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
It's possible you had an air leak from the seal on the filter that kept the pump from drawing enough water. Checking the filter may have sealed it correctly when you put it back on.

Fman
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I have an 06 Supra comp which got very hot 1st time out for the season. I had changed the impeller and oil before I went out. After I shut it down and opened up the filter to make sure it was clean and then restarted it cooled off and ran fine. Is this something to worry about.

For those of us that have not changed our impeller yet, what filter are you referring to and where is it located? I was told to change the impeller every other year? does that sound about right?

Venshnub
05-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Water strainer... clear plastic with screen inside.