PDA

View Full Version : holly 4 barrell carb

bellsons
05-20-2009, 11:30 PM
i dont know anything about a carb, soooo...
heres my question. I want it rebuilt.
what should i expect to pay for a holly 4 barrell?

Salty87
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
i don't know either. i do know that an edelbrock carb will bolt up nicely.

riveredge
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
If you're taking the carb off and bringing it to a rebuild shop, I would expect to pay $100-$200 as a ballpark range. Beats buying a new one, and it comes back like new. I think I paid $120 last time I did one, and that included shipping. In my opinion, you can't beat that when you consider how long it might take you to do it.

86supraproject
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
i dont know anything about a carb, soooo...
heres my question. I want it rebuilt.
what should i expect to pay for a holly 4 barrell?

You can rebuild it yourself for around $60.00. this is if you use your old floats. If you decide to purchase one that has already been rebuilt its around $350.00. I myself preffer a rochester quadrajet.

michael hunter
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Holly's are very easy to rebuild removing the old gaskets is the hardest part.
Buy a kit from ski dim and a couple cans of carb cleaner and follow the directions.

rludtke
05-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Overhaul kits can be found on Ebay stores for about $20 with everything you need except the floats, and it's just a matter of swapping old parts for new. Your floats, if not leaking, will not need to be replaced.

A new replacement is $500-ish, an overhauled replacement is $250-ish, and the kit of parts is $20-ish.

My carb had a stumble when accelerating, and it was subject to terrible flooding when I bought my boat, but the overhaul solved all of it's problems. Now she purrs like a kitten, starts immediatly, has never flooded, and accelerates hard with no stumble.

I also, at the same time, added a wedge adapter to mount the carb closer to level. Because I made two changes at once, I really don't know if it was necisary, or helpful, but I do know that float carbs prefer to be level, and the engine sits at a pretty steep angle in the Supra.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Woah woah woah! OK sorry I am no mechanic, but I haven't heard of anyone actually altering the angle of their carb. My boat starts acting a little funny when it gets WAAY tipped for surfing and we were thinking it could be the odd angle of the carb. Very cool!

rludtke
05-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Woah woah woah! OK sorry I am no mechanic, but I haven't heard of anyone actually altering the angle of their carb. My boat starts acting a little funny when it gets WAAY tipped for surfing and we were thinking it could be the odd angle of the carb. Very cool!

Yeah Mikey, I picked up a 12 degree wedge from Glen L: https://www.boatdesigns.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90%2D455 as I thought the angle might be contributing to the terrible flooding problem I was experiencing. The secondary float chamber was pouring fuel out the vent J tubes, and down the secondary barrels. It was intermintent, and I couldn't get it resolved by float adjustment alone. The combination of overhauling and adding the wedges plate seemed to do the trick, The wedge may not have been nesisary, but the engine does sit at a dramatic angle, so in my mind it helps.

I think these wedge plates were developed for drag racing to counter the sever angle induced by hard acceration (eg wheelies), but are used in custom wood boats for those steep engine installations. I suspect you will benefit from making this change, especially when you are nose up for surfing.