PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day on the River

RatboyUF
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Hello all, first post on the site, and looking for some help. We were out on the 86 SunSport today, and grounded the boat on some silt in the river. Threw it in reverse to get out after unloading as much weight as possible. After freeing the boat she would only turn right, so we got a tow in to the ramp. Upon pulling her out the rudder was rotated 90 degrees off where it should be. We were able to rotate it back to center, but I don't feel comfortable just doing this. Nothing is bent, and steering cable is connected, there is no binding, and there is full range of motion. Any input is greatly appreciated.

mapleleaf
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey welcome to the forum...
I don't know much about rudder alignment, yet!, but it sounds like some sorta set screw issue, I'd wanna get the rudder off and look for internal damage to the pin connecting the steering linkage to the rudder....
That's lotsa advice here, you should have your answer sometime tomorrow!!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Ratboy - Welcome to the site, I have an 87 SunSport! I removed my rudder to replace the o-rings since it was leaking. It is very easy for you to remove some screws in your rear bench seat, lift the seat up and gain access to the rudder. Just check the rudder arm and make sure it's not bent and the pins and everything look ok. I'm not an expert but I think you are ok and got very lucky! Make sure your prop blades are okay and your prop shaft isn't bent. I'm on a river too and it can be tough.

riveredge
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I have seen this happen before with a Nautique, the rudder flipped around all the way, and we just flipped it back... good advice above to check for any other damage, but you're probably okay at least as far as the rudder is concerned.

RatboyUF
05-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess i should set the disclaimer that its not my boat, its my buddies, but I'm doing most of the work on it to make it a turn key wake beast. Just got back from the river again with much better results today. Everything checked out with the rudder, no vibrations or shaft damage that i could see. I also finally got around to tuning the Edelbrock 1410 that is on the boat from the previous owner. This boat is definitely a work in progress to get to where my buddy wants it, next is getting the electrical system all worked out, as well as a new prop. I'll get some pics of her up so you can see what we're working with.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Try the ACME#913 from Nettle Props.com for $350+shipping.