PDA

View Full Version : Prop and Rudder question.

bellsons
05-23-2009, 09:10 AM
my prop and rudder aren't lined up.

looking from the stern my prop axel (center of the threaded end) sets almost one full inch farther to the starboard than the rudder.

this creates a slight pull and makes it twice as tough to turn port side.

i'm sure this isn't normall. but if it is, then whats the reasoning behind it?

Bazel
05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
If I recall correctly, this is to compensate for the spin of the prop.

knoble
05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
It is to counteract the torque of the motor. But you could still be off alignment. It does happen. The only way I know it to check your strut and see if the shaft is aligned to that. Typically your strut is set correctly and your engine/trans can get off alignment. Check that and set if your shaft is going in and out of their straight. If not i would measure your current setting of your engine and trans, right them down and keep them. Then try aligning your prop shaft to the strut and see if that helps. If it does not help then at least you still have your old measurements to go back too!
Hope that helps!

:cool:

Salty87
05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
that sounds about normal. you'll be thanking the supra designers if/when you have to take the prop or shaft off. i don't know how much by design that is but if you had to take the rudder off to mess with either of those...

how old is your steering cable?

saltare inverts
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Mine is a bout a inch off also.

FoiltechLaunch21V
05-27-2009, 11:58 AM
my prop and rudder aren't lined up.

looking from the stern my prop axel (center of the threaded end) sets almost one full inch farther to the starboard than the rudder.

this creates a slight pull and makes it twice as tough to turn port side.

i'm sure this isn't normall. but if it is, then whats the reasoning behind it?

Here is a thread from the past on this same question.

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2186&page=2

gerdy
06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
mine's the same way also. i had asked that same question

csuggs
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
What you're looking at is normal. In fact, the manual makes the following point on the "Exclusive Supra-Trac Hull Design" page:

"OFF-SET RUDDER FOR SHAFT REMOVAL @ TORQUE-FREE TURNING"

As a note, my boat turns a little harder one direction than the other, but having grown up with ourboards for so many years, I really didn't think anything of it.