PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier for inside of boat

airtime
10-04-2003, 04:48 PM
I want to get some sort of a drier for under the cover of my boat I keep it in a barn but it takes days to dry out, and the water in the bilge Stinks. Overton's advertises a unit . what do you guy's do??

jsrasband
10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Make sure cover well vented.I sponge out the bilge,wipe the seats and leave them open.When real wet I leave a small fan running to circulate the air.
For the winter leave mothballs to keep out mice and stuff and charcoal to absorb moisture.

waterboy
10-11-2003, 02:40 AM
I use a fan too. It's mounted on the wall behind the boat, and it's the kind that oscilates. I let it run for at least a couple of hours after using the boat. I also remove the cushions and set them on the floor, and remove the drain plug. You can also use Damp Rid, which comes in a neat plastic tub and uses pellets to absorb moisture. Find it at Walmart's, and you can also buy bulk bags of pellets for refills. This stuff works great, I use it in the ski locker which is slow to dry out. Hope this helps.

Brian

cryonchick
10-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I have used the Damp rid since getting my boat. I have also used an odor adsorber made by Natural Magic, it's citrus scent to get rid of the mildew smell. Of course mine is an older boat so it has that mildew smell for a little bit after you take the cover off of it, then goes away after being ventilated with fresh air. The odor adsorber has worked great in getting rid of that smell though.

But none-the-less, the damp rid has worked great, I put one in my rear ski locker (since you can't keep it open with the cover on), one in the cuddy cabin, and one next to the engine box. I also pull up all the seats so that anywhere moisture might be, it can escape and evaporate and then get caught by the damp rids....

Happy boating.......

01sunsportboarder
11-05-2003, 10:37 AM
I use a heater 1500 watt like you have under a desk at the office. then a house fan I prop open all openings and run the heater and fan both on low all winter, heater has tstat. doesnt seem to cost much and inside of boat is always warm and dry. we use the boat all year so thats why the extreme. also were in n. georgia where its humid all year. in a cooler climate once its really dry it should be fine till spring.