PDA

View Full Version : I hit a stump and bent my rudder

Bilotto11301
05-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I have an 85 tsm supra comp and I hit a stump on saturday and it bent my rudder backwards a little.. Its kinda hard to turn now, it will only turn so far, but I assume everything is still connected properly. steering cables etc.... I need to push the rudder back forward to its normal position I am assuming?? The thing is solid steel though, it took a good knock to get it where it is at.. Any ideas on how I could push it back to its normal position? Do I need to take the rudder off to do this? Everything else seems fine, I dont see how the stump didnt hit my prop, but the prop looks clear... The rudder is just bent backwards, it not flush with the boat anymore.. Its almost like i could bang it back to it normal sitting position.. somehow..

Salty87
05-26-2009, 09:03 AM
solid bronze actually. unless you've got some serious tools, you're gonna want to take the rudder off and bring it to a prop shop. they can straighten it.

Bilotto11301
05-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Like a machine shop? Around here (Tallahaseee, FL) we have a few boat places but all of them say they dont do work on inboards.. Also, when I take the rudder off I will have to re seal it right? It looks like theres blue glue on the rudder now from where someone had a seal problem before.. I believe it leaks worse now since I bent the rudder.. It almost looks like that rudder is on a ball joint and it will roll back forward, if I had enough haus to do it.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2009, 09:23 AM
You can take the rudder off yourself it is pretty simple. Just unscrew the rear bench seat and lift it up. If you can bend it back yourself, great. Otherwise I would just buy a new rudder from SkiDIM.com. Skiers Choice or SkiDIM can tell you the correct model.

There are a couple designs for sealing the rudder from leaking. Mine just uses a couple o-rings from the auto store. Bring one in to the counter and they will match it. Others use wax string or a graphite ring. All easily available. You'll find out once you remove it hehe.

Bilotto11301
05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I saw the four screws on the rudder mount underneath the boat that come out, I did not know I had to do anything inside the boat.. I am going to try my damdest to fix it myself and save the 400$ new rudder bill.. Thanks for your help!

jasonba1
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
If you cant get it straight, Viper Customs an get you a rudder a lot cheaper he probably has some that are even used I put a used one on my boat and it worked great. Jim's number is 865-388-4096

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Don't touch the screws under your boat. Nothing needed there. You have to get the rear bench seat out, then get back where the rudder arm meets the rudder. Pull a couple pins and you are out. THere are a couple styles, yours should be like the top pic. See the cotter pin right on top the rudder? That's it! It is a tight reach though hope you have long arms.

Also check ski-it-again.com for used rudders!!!!!!!

While you are at it, there are little grease gun fittings (called zerks) along the rear rudder arm right where you will be working. Any auto parts store has a grease gun section and you can buy a small gun and zerks (there are two sizes of zerks you need the small ones) and a can of marine grade grease for like $15. Grease 'em up good and your steering will thank you. Turn the wheel a few times and wipe away the excess grease that squirts back out the zerks.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3490/skilocker.JPG
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3490/medium/RudderReplaced.jpg

Bilotto11301
05-26-2009, 02:18 PM
This site is awesome man.. I couldnt ask for anything more.. Thanks to everyone who helps out on a daily basis answering questions concerning supra boats.. I feel like nobody in the world has a boat like mine, as old as it is and I dont have anyone to turn to for advice on it. To talk to guys with the same kinda boat is huge deal.. I am super glad I came across this site and cant thank you guys enough for your help, just knowing I can always turn to this sit for help takes ALOT of weight of my shoulders.. Mikey D posting a pic of the rudder and showing me clear as day exactly what I need to do and how it should look is super impressive... I mean, where in the hell would I have ever gotten that kinda help/information.. THANKS MAN... thanks to everyone, imma a first day subscriber if you didnt notice.. lol..

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey you are welcome - I'm no expert, I wouldn't know if it weren't for other nice people who have answered my questions, and searching of course. Pass it on to someone else someday. :) I think this is a great community and I hope it keeps growing like it has been!!!

Only thing though..we're gonna need to see some pics!!! :D :D

mapleleaf
05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
yeah I agree with Mikey 100%, pic's are the best.....My Conbrio will be rebuilt on the info shared here for sure....
Thanks again everybody.......Now if following each thread could be done like speed reading!!!!!!!

n2sking
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
i'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the gas tank to get that much access, and you could have issues with the trailer or ground getting the rudder all the way out, just want you to have all the facts...

Salty87
05-27-2009, 08:24 PM
i'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the gas tank to get that much access, and you could have issues with the trailer or ground getting the rudder all the way out, just want you to have all the facts...

that's a good point. last time i messed with my rudder i had to use a jack to lift the boat a little. the rudder was hitting the prop guard and didn't have enough room to drop out all the way.

you can also scoot the boat back on the trailer a bit if you've got a ramp close by, to get a little additional clearance. use caution of course.

tjonas1
05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Jim can get you one for $180.00 give him a call Jim's number is 865-388-4096

jasonba1
05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
tjonas sent you a pm

87SunSportMikeyD
05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I just pulled my rudder a couple months ago to replace the o-rings because the rudder shaft was leaking. Access was a bit tough but totally possible with the gas tank in. My rudder dropped by the prop guard on trailer no problem but that would just depend on how far onto the trailer you put the boat last time you launched it.

wotan2525
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey Mikey -- How did you know the rudder seals were leaking? Something in my boat leaks but I can't figure out what. I've filled up the bilge with water and it doesn't drip....

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, I have looked under neath my back seat before and its theres nothing there but the boat.. But Behind my back seat I have another long compartment that is for storage.. Maybe that comes out somehow? Im going to give it a shot after work and see what I can come up with..

I talked to the guy JIM at viper and he quoted me 325 for a new rudder.. he said he didnt have any used ones..

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
WOTAN.. my shaft seal leaks, yours probably does too.. only mainly when its in drive though, it doesnt take on so much water when im parked.. but from what i hear all inboards leak.... the good ones just have a slow drip.. If i dont run my bilge man the water will fill up the back of my boat and eventually the motor will be under water..

ALSO.. They say you can pull your shaft out and theres rope packing in there that wraps around the drive shaft.. i bet some new rope packing would you help you out man, its really cheap and you can get it at the auto parts store.. i need to do mine, its on the list, its just not top priority yet..

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
wow, 325.00 was that for the complete rudder assm or just the rudder? I called him tuesday and he said 180.00. but i just needed the rudder. I guess it depends on the year,make and model.

Salty87
05-28-2009, 02:25 PM
i just put about 6 pumps of grease into my rudder. it was leaking, i went down to the ramp and parked it in the water for a few mins. to verify that was it. no more leak now. i added one of these to my grease gun, made reaching the zerks alot easier...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/92600-92699/92657.gif

billoto...some supras came with dripless seals. mine did. it shouldn't leak at all. if you have this equip around the driveshaft, it's dripless...
http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/7/4/2/2/74222F-p.jpg

otherwise, you've got packing. you don't have to remove the shaft, just the jam nut. the packing will be between the 2 large nuts where the shaft exits the hull.

with packing you shouldn't have more than a drip of water every min or so, barely any drip.

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah man I have that same seal right there in that picture.. Mine is prob just 20 years old and i may need a new one.. i know mine leaks, i tightened the bands on it and it wasnt so bad.. now with a bent rudder im takin on ALL kinda of water.. LOL, hopefully w/ the rudder fixed and the new rudder seals, i could start workin towards the a new shaft seal.. and a tower.. and new upholstery.. and new paint.. LOL does this ever end... I actually been considering those boat wraps instead of paint... anybody know anything about them?

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
but yes i will replace the packing before I replace that seal, the seal looks fine on my baot.. "dripless seal" that exactly what mine is... thanks for that info.

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 02:41 PM
we just wrap our boat this season. Its ok but you allways have to be very carefull with it in and out of the water. If i can find out how to post pictures on here i will post one of our boat.

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
a wrap will look like a fresh new coat of paint?? how much did it run you? installation and all..

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it was around 700.00 for the vinyl. i have a friend who owns a sign shop. He printed everything out and me and a friend, along with his help installed it.

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
WOW... that boat is sick man.. very nice.. ur boat is similar to mine.. closed bow, mine is prob just older.. i was told by a firend who works at a paint shop he could do it on the side a nice paint job for 6-700

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
This one is a 88 model. We were looking at painting but seem to be to much work. Taking the boat off the trailer and all. He used a marine vinyl made by 3M, same stuff they use on the pro bass boats. It come in white and you have to print the grapics on.

jasonba1
05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
tjoanas1 that boat is sick man love the wrap, looks great

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Jason, did u get my PM? Also check this guys out. They also have some sick wrap. And i think he is trying to sale one. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3900

Salty87
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
that's probably the best looking wrap i've seen. i don't go for the skulls and smoke most of them seem to be. sounds like you got a great deal too.

tjonas1
05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
This pictures do it no justice. I took them with my phone. This was the first wrap he had ever done. So it was a learning exp for all of us. Seeing the wrap was so much we did something simple this go around. Up close it is green with carbon fiber tribel. hard to see in the pictures.

Salty87
05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
teasing us now...take some better pics! tower looks good too, let's see more...

Bilotto11301
05-28-2009, 11:43 PM
UPDATE: So I took my back seat out this afternoon, had to remove the floor panel and i could see the rudder from inside the boat.. we unhooked the rudder, cotter pin etc, but couldnt get the rudder to slide out of my boat.. my assumption is that the rudder is bent and its wedged really good in the hole.. so.. like the other guy said, we are going to have to take that gas tank out to allow us to put a hammer to the rudder to get it to pop out, right now the tank is directly above it and i cant really apply any pressure or downforce to pop it out.. im sure after this i will prob new a need rudder.. to add to that all the wood was rotten underneath the seat.. we are going to have to replace it all that as well as all the screws and bolts.. ALSO.. the stump not only bent my rudder, there is a giant hole and numerous cracks around the rudder plate and on the fiberglass bottom.. i am assuming we can patch those though... on a positive note i did get my bass tube hooked up, lol.. it sounds really good..12 inch pyle bass tube w/ a built in amp.. so we ran all the wires and power cords, remote wire, ground wire and got it good to go, audio wise.. so i guess i dont have no boat for the weekend and they said its gonna be super nice... BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand .. thats what my friends say..

wakeup
05-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Those Pictures Suck..................lol

Salty87
05-29-2009, 09:08 AM
UPDATE: So I took my back seat out this afternoon, had to remove the floor panel and i could see the rudder from inside the boat.. we unhooked the rudder, cotter pin etc, but couldnt get the rudder to slide out of my boat.. my assumption is that the rudder is bent and its wedged really good in the hole.. so.. like the other guy said, we are going to have to take that gas tank out to allow us to put a hammer to the rudder to get it to pop out, right now the tank is directly above it and i cant really apply any pressure or downforce to pop it out.. im sure after this i will prob new a need rudder.. to add to that all the wood was rotten underneath the seat.. we are going to have to replace it all that as well as all the screws and bolts.. ALSO.. the stump not only bent my rudder, there is a giant hole and numerous cracks around the rudder plate and on the fiberglass bottom.. i am assuming we can patch those though... on a positive note i did get my bass tube hooked up, lol.. it sounds really good..12 inch pyle bass tube w/ a built in amp.. so we ran all the wires and power cords, remote wire, ground wire and got it good to go, audio wise.. so i guess i dont have no boat for the weekend and they said its gonna be super nice... BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand .. thats what my friends say..

that sux, there's always something...it can be fixed, bilotto. we'll get you thru it.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I have done my share of drinking beer on the boat while shes on the trailer this year. :)