PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Temperature Control Sensor B

klewis
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a 2008 Launch 22SSV with the ETX CAT engine that went into limp mode briefly this last weekend. It came out on it's own, but still registered service required. I took it to the dealer to check the codes and it came back with the Catalytic Temp Sensor B. They ordered the part, so hopefully it will get here soon. They weren't sure which sensor was A and which was B since their last mechanic to leave also took their only book(WTF order a new one already, you'd think you would need it). I'm sure when they ordered the part they asked Indmar. However if anyone knows if B is the port or starboard it would be nice to know when I ask them which one they changed.

Also if anyone has experience this same problem(they said they have gone through 5 sensors already) it would be good to know if I can expect it to go into limp mode again since I still plan to use the boat until the new part comes in? I took it out since the diagnosis and clearing of the code so I could see if the code would come right back and if it would go back into limp mode when it did. The code did come back I assume since it says service required again, but it did not go into limp mode.

Thanks
Kevin

tg0824SSVGG
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
for my 08 24SSV, they downloaded new software that ignores that sensor.

Not sure I like the answer, but I am not going into limp mode every other time out anymore ..........

klewis
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
That doesnt sound good to me! They obviously had a reason for designing that sensor into the system in the first place! But if it keeps it out of limp mode and doesnt cause damage I guess it works. Limp mode is frustrating since you really have no control over how to get it out, your day could just be ruined at that point. Thanks for the response.

tg0824SSVGG
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
right - because, at least on my boat - when the "SERVICE REQUIRED" is on,
if the perfect pass WAS on - it's stuck on, and you can't even change the speed or
turn it off.

If it was OFF, you can't turn it on at all.

as I understand it - it's not Supra that put in the bypass codes, it's Indmar, but
I could be wrong.

atarpill
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
for my 08 24SSV, they downloaded new software that ignores that sensor.

Not sure I like the answer, but I am not going into limp mode every other time out anymore ..........

I had the same issue this year with my boat, took it to the dealer there was an update for the ECM. Have had no problem with the boat since. The dealer told me that the update ignores the sensor so the boat will not go into limp mode again for that code.

atarpill
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
right - because, at least on my boat - when the "SERVICE REQUIRED" is on,
if the perfect pass WAS on - it's stuck on, and you can't even change the speed or
turn it off.

If it was OFF, you can't turn it on at all.

as I understand it - it's not Supra that put in the bypass codes, it's Indmar, but
I could be wrong.

I believe you are right the bypass code came from Indmar not Supra

thescott
06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Did any of you guys have any outward symptoms around the time the "service required" alert came up because of this? Any rough idling or anything like that?

tg0824SSVGG
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't recall any - but that was 6+ months ago

klewis
06-02-2009, 10:17 AM
No symptoms from mine. It was the first day out for the season and I had been idling along when I went to throttle up it said "Eng Fault" and went into limp mode and said "Service Required". At first I thought maybe it was a low oil issue as it was at the Add mark on the operating range. In the time it took me to go get it and add then start the boat again it came out of limp mode. Now it just says Service Required and if I press the Enter button it goes to the normal screen. I had some problems while using perfect pass though when the display changes over to Service Required it got erratic with the speed.

thescott
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the input. Pretty much same situation for me. First, eng fault, then service required which also goes away for a bit if I hit enter. I was using PP when this happened. I click enter to get to the normal screen then clicked the on/off and shut down PP no problems.
Dropped the boat off yesterday. Shop thinks this is the issue and will let me know this am. I'm supposed to be towing up to Lake Shasta in Nor Cal this Friday for a 6 day house boat trip! All appendages are crossed in hopes of an easy solution...

klewis
06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Last I heard from my dealer they have a new sensor on order from Indmar. They said nothing about a software update, so.....we'll see. I'll be a little frustrated if they replace the sensor and this comes back again considering that others have gotten the software bypass update and had no future problems.

JohnnyH
06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
tell them to change both. from what i understand, there has been a bunch of bad one installed from the factory. your only going to go thru this all over again if they don't replace both.

thescott
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I would def make sure they replace both. According to my shop they replaced the sensors AND updated the firmware.

Picking up the boat tonight...problem solved. Next stop Shasta Houseboat!!!

atarpill
06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Did any of you guys have any outward symptoms around the time the "service required" alert came up because of this? Any rough idling or anything like that?

No rough idle, the boat got up to about 2500 rpms and then went into limp mode. I shut down the boat and sat for a few minutes, then fired it up and it was like nothing was wrong. The boat ran fine except for the "service required" on the screen.

Since the reflash / update of the ECM I have hand no issues, put about 5 hours on th boat since getting it back from the dealer

klewis
06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Here's the latest on mine:

I dropped the boat off before they were open and called when they were to make sure they found the keys and what their plan was. I asked if they were planning to replace both sensors since this is a problem with the ones put in at the factory and they said no, they were only authorized to replace the one that is bad. I asked how much a sensor was so I could maybe buy one in case Im in the middle of no where when it fails again and they said they didnt know the price and they didnt offer to find out.

Then I asked them if Indmar had said anything about a software update for this issue and they said no they hadnt heard of one. I pointed out that it looked like other dealers were doing that based on others experiences described here and they said no they hadnt heard of it. He must be very busy right now cause at this point it just felt like he wanted me off the phone and he did not say that he was going to call Indmar to double check.

So I hung up the phone and called Indmar myself. Wow am I impressed with them, I got a real person on the second ring and told them I had a technical question. I went on hold and within 30 seconds Steve from Customer Service was on the line. I told him about my error code and asked about replacing both sensors, he said they were only replacing any that were faulty. I then asked him if there was a software update and he said there sure was! I told him my service department knew nothing about it and that it seemed like they werent intending to find out. I asked him for his email address so I could confirm our conversation in writing and he gladly gave it to me. I emailed him and he got right back and not only confirmed it but gave me a copy of the service advisory. He said their customer service would be contacting my dealer to let them know about it. It took less than 5 minutes for me to figure this out and is frustrating that my dealer couldnt have gone the extra step and done it themselves when I voiced my concern. Steve at Indmar, you're great and thanks for the help!

Of course now I feel like a total pain-in-the-butt customer that taddled on my dealer, which should make picking my boat up nice and awkward. At least now I wont be on one of my week long trips this summer stuck in limp mode.

I'll know more when I stop by the dealership tonight to get my rig and hopefully the boat too.

klewis
06-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Here is the service bulletin from Indmar if anyone wanted to see it.

thescott
06-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Interesting that the bulletin does not mention any need to switch out the sensors. My dealer showed me the old versu new sensors, the "shielding" on the bottom of the old one have a bunch of holes where as the new one has only one hole. I wish I was with it enough to take a pick of both sensors to show how different they were...I don't know how else to explain.

Good luck. Hope it turns out well when you go pick it up. Doubt the dealer will hold the call to Indmar against you. Boat dealers/service shops have too much on their plates this time of year. If anything, you saved them some time...:rolleyes:

klewis
06-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Ya they are slammed right now, so I'm sure it helped. I stopped to get it tonight as they said they changed out the sensor. When I got there they said they called Indmar today and found out there was a service bulletin to update the software, so Indmar must have been very discrete, much appreciated Indmar!

Unfortunately they hadnt been able to get the software updated today as the Indmar site wasnt cooperating and Indmar was putting it on a CD to send them. So the boat is still there, just glad it's getting taken care of so I dont end up in limp mode again.

thescott
06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear it's working out. I still think it's a little strange they are not chaning out both sensors. When you go and pick up your boat, ask your dealer to show you the difference between the old and new one. Good luck. I'm towing mine up to Shasta for a 6 day houseboat journey this afternoon w/out having tested it since they replaced the sensors/flashed the ECM. Here's hoping for an issue free trip!