PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Velvet Drive

saltare inverts
05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Has anyone rebuilt there velvet drive trans? I am thinking of doing it but dont want to spend three weeks on it. Skidim says its not that hard. Any thoughts?

tjonas1
05-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Just replaced the clutches in mine. very easy to rebuild. PM me with your email address and i will send you the repair manual, that is if it's the 10-17 or 10-18 1:1 transmisson. You can get all your part from http://bpi.ebasicpower.com out of North Carolina. It cost me around $200.00 for all my parts and around two hours to remove the trans out of the boat, four hours to replace the clutches,rev springs and two hours to put back in. Pay close attention to the front pump. It can go two ways depends on your motor rotation.

michael hunter
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I have repaired automatic transmissions before the velvet drive looks pretty basic. Get a
repair manual and go for it. Or take it to any good trans re builder they should be able
to do it.

knoble
05-29-2009, 11:27 PM
I have velvet drive manuals on pdf if you want copy send me an e-mail with your and i can send you a copy! If you spend a little time searching on the internet you will find site with them in pdf format. that's how I found mine! Got pcm manual that way also!!

:cool:

knoble
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
The velvet is a really simple automatic trans! Any reputable trans builder could do it in his sleep! It is simpler than a powerglide, c4 or turbo350!

:cool:

milner351
06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I had a trusted local trans rebuilder go through mine - $300 well spent - total - including parts. I brought it to him.

Look carefully at the sealing surfaces of the input and output shafts....

After the rebuild - mine started leaking - after maybe 10 hours run time.

There was some pitting on the input shaft from rust (the boat sat for years) he pointed it out to me during the rebuild - but new shafts were not available that he could find - and he polished it - we figured it would be OK.

It wasn't - the trans is back out now and the shaft is being hard chromed, then polished... new seal - and we should be back in business.

It is a very basic gear box - but unless you've done this sort of thing before and can recognize worn parts in this type of assembly - you might be time and money ahead letting a pro take care of it.