PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the Prop

JFP
10-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Is a prop puller necessary for getting the prop off or can it be done safely without one? If it can be done without a puller, what is the technique?

Thanks,

10-09-2003, 11:08 AM
a prop puller isn't necessary, its more of the right tool for the job kinda thing. if the prop isn't locked onto the shaft, you might not need any sort of puller. but, if you've been running that prop for awhile, it probably is.

gear pullers, steering wheel pullers and stuff like that can be used if they fit. that's the deal with prop pullers, they are designed to fit boats. autozone and places like that will rent them (not prop pullers). if you're clever, you can make your own tool but you also risk messing up your shaft, strut, prop....some expensive stuff.

i bought a prop puller kit when i got a new prop, it was like $80 and came with puller, a nice wrench, extra key and cotter pin, and a snazzy carrying bag. was it overpriced?...a little but i have the all gear now and don't have to worry about getting that prop off.

kevin

Salty87
10-09-2003, 11:14 AM
a prop puller isn't necessary, its more of the right tool for the job kinda thing. if the prop isn't locked onto the shaft, you might not need a puller at all. but, if you've been running that prop for ahilwe, it probably is.

gear pullers, steering wheel pullers, and stuff like that might work if they fit. that's the deal with prop pullers, they're designed to fit most boats. you could even make your own if you're crafty enough but you're also playing around with some expensive grear....prop, shaft, strut, rudder. autozone and places like that rent gear pullers.

i bought a puller kit the last time i bought a prop. i think it was around $80 for the puller, spare wrench, extra cotter pin and key, and the carrying bag. a little overpriced for what you get but its a nice kit and i don't have to worry about getting the prop off.

kevin

cryonchick
10-09-2003, 10:25 PM
I'll second that motion...

I tried to take mine off w/o the puller...NOT a good idea. Ended up having to get the prop rebuilt... Got a puller and it just slid right off.

The bearing puller will also work but make sure that it will fit they are a little different from the prop pullers, some are less expensive but it is mush easier with the prop puller. The kits are nice but I would have to agree with Salty, overpriced for what you get, but nice to have.....Ebay.com has them every now and then for about $55.

Good luck