PDA

View Full Version : prop shaft problems

shf49
10-13-2003, 02:48 PM
I have a bent prop shaft on my 87 Saltare 454. The shaft has something on it right behind the trans coupling. It has a part # of 72894. It is in two washer like pieces, about three inches in diameter. one which was just spinning on the shaft. I had to remove it to get the shaft out of the boat. It appears it may have been a damper or something at one time . Anyhow this is my first inboard boat and experience is coming a little faster than I would like. On replacement shafts I do not see any part like this. Does anyone know what this is and if it is necessary? Also where is a good place to send the shaft ,prop, and coupling to get them straightened and balanced?
Thanks

Salty87
10-14-2003, 09:29 AM
oh joy, i been there (87 saltare w/454 too)

sounds like the ring you describe might be part of a dripless shaft packing setup. does the ring have 2 set screws on the side to tighten it to the shaft? is there a rubber 'boot' on the inside of the hull opening where the shaft goes out? if so, that's what you have. if not, got pics?

you have a few choices about the parts. if any can be repaired, now is probably a good time to find a good prop guy. they can come in handy reworking props and straighening rudders when the time arises. mine ordered a new shaft for me and helped me get the strut bushing out of the strut when i had to replace my shaft.

or, learn this website www.skidim.com
they can help with parts as well if you want to buy all new. they are extremely helpful with 'how to's' and pointers also. but, having a local prop guy can come in handy.

either way, get a parts catalog from skidim (basic schematics in the back) or you can buy a manual....but i haven't seen any impressive manuals.

good luck,
kevin