PDA

View Full Version : Engine Fault/Service required

thescott
06-01-2009, 12:23 AM
2008 22SSV
So, two weeks ago I noticed the boat idling a little rough. Seemed fine underway and during acceleration - no error codes. I was advised to change the fuel filter, check the PCV, and make sure the flame arrester was not clogged. PCV was clean, changed fuel filter, flae arrester was fine.

Went out today. The rough idle issue seemed to have disappeared. Cruised around for a bit to make sure. Everyone got a turn boarding. We stopped for lunch then started pulling someone again. After about 5 minutes, the display says "ENGINE FAULT" so I stopped immediately. I turned the key back to on and the display then said "Service Required" We were able to get back to the dock, and the boat did not go into limp/power reduction mode. At one point on the way to the dock, the display flashed "Engine control module (ECM) not recording past 25 seconds" then returned to "Service Required"

Any input? I don't really know what else to say. Wasn't running poorly, no vibrations, etc. What's the difference between "Engine fault" and "Service Required"? and what's the "ECM not recording past 25 seconds" all about??? You'd think with the fancy display, they could at least allow you to somehow view the trouble codes w/out having to purchase an expensive scanner...

Of course I'm supposed to be in Shasta this coming Friday for a 6 day houseboat trip...Hoping I can call in a miracle to the local shop. :confused:

saltare inverts
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I have no answers, but I do have sympathy. Why do boats break down so often. I am going to high blood pressure from the problems. Your boat is new and still, problems. Good luck.

thescott
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
"Your boat is new and still, problems."

No kidding right? I have 89.5 hours on the boat which does not equate to much engine mileage. It's basically brand new. Good thing is, warranty...bad thing is...I'm supposed to tow it up to the lake this weekend for a 6 day houseboat trip!!!:mad:

Oh well. Called the local shop already. The service manager is supposed to get back to me shortly and will hopefully have some good news and be able to take the boat in and get started asap. Who knows...I'm just going to keep fingers crossed and hope this all works out. Would be a HUGE disapointment if not able to have ready for my trip this weekend.

thescott
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Just got off the line w/ the service manager at the local dealership. After explaining all the error codes and the rough idling I had last time out – he is fairly sure it is the know ECM firmware/Catalytic temp sensor issue (which strangely enough was JUST posted about here the other day…) If that is the case, he says he can have me in and out of the shop w/in a couple hours. If that is not the case, they won’t have time to fun full diagnostics and chase down the ghost for another week and it’s bye bye Shasta houseboat trip… Dropping the boat off this evening – should have the good or bad news by tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed and putting out positive vibes!

klewis
06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Would love to hear what you find out....software and/or sensor replacement...

JohnnyH
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Dude , had the same thing happen with me on my 2008 22ssv. Rinkers in Houston told me it was prob the Catalytic temp sensors. Brought it in and sure enough that was it. They told me they have had to replace alot of these. Has not had a problem since.

thescott
06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
The Verdict

Catalytic temp sensor was the culprit. Per the service manager at my shop they both replaced the sensors AND updated the ECM firmware. Boat is ready for pick up tonight and I'm on my way to Lake Shasta Friday! :cool:

tg0824SSVGG
06-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow - better than I got - have a blast on the houseboat!!!