PDA

View Full Version : No Accel....one hot exhaust manifold.

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok had a rough weekend guys, and its the first time the boat was on the water. It is rough idling...with the boat out of gear and giving it a little throttle I can get the proper RPM's and everything sounds normal and acts normal...I put the boat in gear and if it doesn't die it really wants to....I put the throttle down(in gear), either hard or gradual and I get nothing no RPM's and I'm still going idle speed with it floored and the engine sounds wierd. And the drivers side exhaust manifold is getting super hot but not the other one. Could the exhaust just be the thermastat sticking? Could this be a fuel pump issue? Carb? I posted this in my other thread so if you reading it twice sorry....just thought I'd put it in its proper spot. I've made sure the throttle cables are good and that the prop is on tight.

Salty87
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
what else have you done to it this year besides the impeller? it ran good at the end of last season?

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
not much....cann't really think of anything right know, new batt., new points, checked coil, cleaned cap. Also when I was starting it there was a pop that came through the carb...Yes ran fine end of last year.

Salty87
06-01-2009, 03:29 PM
did you take any of the spark plug wires off? kinda sounds like it's firing out of order.

re: manifold heat...did the old impeller come out intact or was it in pieces?

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
impeller came out looking like new. I didn't monkey with the plugs but that doesn't mean that the marina didn't....this is the same marina that winterized the boat....replaced impeller and then put the housing back on upside down...and replaced the packing. So I wouldn't rule anything out.

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
it just confusses me why I can rev it up and everything is fine in nutrual but in gear its not....what changes when its in gear? spark? fuel? anything?

Salty87
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
i'm not the best engine trouble-shooter but i'd finish off your tune-up. you said new points...did you get a new condenser, plugs, cap? if not, i would. tune-up is an annual thing. i'd also make sure the plug wires aren't out of order.

under load and in neutral are 2 different things. very much like riding a bicycle in 1st gear or in 5th gear. 1st gear and it can just spin away, put some load on it and you'll see if it can handle the resistance sort of.

how's the water flow out of your exhaust? you say the old impeller came out looking like new...the marina showed it to you? i can't really think of any way for one side to get hot without there being a restriction in a hose.

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
they put it on backwards so i flipped it and looked at it. I cann't say that i know that the water was even coming out of both exhausts cause I was in the boat buy my wife said they're was water out of both. I think I better just take it in and make sure everything gets done right.....so I will be switching mechanics, the only bad thing is that every mechanic says they cann't get to it till next week. And points and condenser was change....not by me but by a buddy that knows more about engines...no plugs changed, no cap change.

Salty87
06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
let me see if i have this right...the marina changed your impeller but put it on wrong. so you never saw the one they took out, just the new one they put in wrong? if the impeller breaks into small brittle pieces of rubber before you replace it, those small pieces go downstream to where ever they get stuck. that could cause one side to get hotter than the other.

i hate to see people with old boats going to mechanics cuz they're so damn expensive but sometimes it's worth the money. check those plug wires while you're waiting, don't cost nothing.

good luck

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
you got it right salty and they said the old one was almost gone... Piece of mind on the river goes a long way, but I know what you mean!

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
ok hears what I found so far....the firing order is correct. I pulled the gas line coming into the carb expecting to see a screen and instead there was a gold clinder shaped thing thats hard as a rock and it has a point in the inside of it that goes right into the fuel line. so i took it to some water and the water just pools up in this thing it doens't even drip through? What is this thing? also checked the hose going to the manifold and nothing was in it and it had water in it...maybe something was in there and worked its way out.

that must be some sort of filter, but should water pool inside of it? could that be on backwards too?
Is there any chance that engine is blowen from the impeller being installed backwards? temp. didn't get crazy but i didn't realize until it smoked.....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
not just the rubber impellor was backwards, the whole pump was backwards. I would think that is a serious engine issue and I would take it back to that mecanic! Make sure he knows he did something wrong because if it turns out to be serious, they are totally on the hook for doing that! (My friends car mechanic left a rag on the muffler after an oil change - car burnt halfway to the ground in front of my eyes. New car on them!)

What Salty is saying is that if the old rubber impellor disintegrated, those pieces are still in your system somewhere and may be causing a blockage.

GOOD LUCK BUDDY

denwbaseball
06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
yea the whole pump was backwards...I miss read a WW comment. The bad thing is I cann't find the invoice! the only thing I have is a winterization ticket with a date and initials.

milner351
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
If the pump was installed backwards you were not getting any cooling water into the engine while it was set up that way. How long did you run it with the pump backwards?

The thermostat only controls water flowing into the engine - water should always flow into the exhaust manifolds. If one manifold is getting very hot - that's a problem with water flow to that manifold - pull the hose off and inspect - something must be blocking the flow to that manifold.

The "pop" during your initial start up may have ruptured the power valve in the holley carburetor - you must remove the primary float bowl and metering block to change the power valve - you'll likely need new gaskets - and be prepared to deal with fuel leaking onto the engine - put a few rags under the lower bowl screws before you remove them.

What kind of fuel filter do you have? If you have a water separator "canister" type, maybe time to change it and make sure it's not full of water.

denwbaseball
06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Ran the pump backwards for around 2min...then a few differnet times while trying to fix for a few sec. Canister filter....called the marina that messed up and they're not deniying that they put it on backwards, but he doesn't think that it has anything to do with it no running right....thinks its a carb problem.

denwbaseball
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Just heard from them and a buddy changed the points and forgot to put the spring back on. The exhaust had a blockage in the hose. Thanks for the help guys!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
So it's working????? PRAISE THE SKIBOAT GODS!

If you want to check the power valve, SkiDIM.com and holley's website have very easy process to test for power valve failure takes like 5 mins.