PDA

View Full Version : Trans Oil In Bilge

saltare inverts
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I got a leaking trans with oil in bilge. I filled it up and it ran for about ten minutes. I then checked trans level again, showing very low, oil all over bilge. I think it might be a seal. I thought about doing the repair myself but I am on time restraints. Any Idea what it is and how much it should cost, or what the problem is?

milner351
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I had my whole trans rebuilt for $300 by a local transmission shop.

If it's the rear output shaft seal - you can probably do it in the boat.

If it's the front input shaft seal - it has to come out.

Check the cooler lines, connections, and the cooler itself - those can be replaced easily in the boat.

saltare inverts
06-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks. I found that my bellhousing is dry inside. The amount of oil I lost show it was rear seal as suspect. I am going to try rear seal first. I think I will rebuild trans this winter. The 300 dollar cost was just rebuild, not removal and reinstall in boat cost?

milner351
06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Yup - $300 was rebuild parts and labor.

I brought the trans to him - pulling it out is a simple job - but the darned things are heavier than they look!

knoble
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
You can use an impact wrench and take that rear nut off easily. after you disconnect the coupler. I think it is a 1 1/4". If you have all the tools you should be able to do in a couple of hours easily!!!

:cool: