PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump question

Fman
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
On my '08 22V I parked in the driveway at a slight downward angle and noticed Bilge #2 came on automatically, and the toggle light was on, but the switch itself was off. It ran for a couple minutes then shut-off. I did not see any water coming out the boat, there is a little in the bottom of the front ballast area where the bilge is located. We did take some bow water on a few times which could have definitely accumulated in the bilge compartment area. It did it again later in the day on the lake just sitting on the water. Is this normal? I am assuming there is some type of float system that is activating? When I opened the cover, it sounded like the bilge was sucking air and water.

Thanks for any input, Fman

michael hunter
06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Most bilge pumps have an auto mode with a float . The switch is a manual back up.
It bothers me that you didnt see any water being pumped out where did the water
get pumped to?

Fman
06-07-2009, 02:00 AM
The pump turned on and it was sucking air with a tad bit of water, kind of made a frothy noise. I did not see anything come out the exit hole on the front side of the boat. It has pumped water out before when I have turned on manually.

I guess I should re-check the lines to make sure they are not clogged or a fitting has come loose????

Thanks for any input.

Salty87
06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
it could be there was enough water to activate the float but not enough to send it overboard. it's very much like drinking out of a straw...there can be enough drink to suck up into the straw but then you start pulling air and you barely get anything to drink. gurgle, gurgle....time to open the bilge and get a towel to dry it out. my bilge pump always leaves about 2" behind. it will suck that water into the hose but not overboard. when the pump turns off, that water runs back down into the bilge. rinse, repeat.

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Having a few bilge Q's myself....2 switches, 2 pumps (front and rear I think), but looks like I only have one through hull for both??? the wiring diagram shows leads to a pump that is no longer in the rear of the boat and there is no thru hull there?????
Any thoughts????

Fman
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
After taking a better look at the bilge pump today, turns out the drain line is broken off the pump. I guess that would explain why it was having problems cycling off. I removed the ballast sac, under lay mat, and totally cleaned out the area. It was getting pretty smelly and ugly in there. I am sure my warranty will cover this, it looks like whoever installed the pump tightened down the clamp too tight and cracked the fitting.

This also explains why I was starting to get a musty, mildew odor in my garage after airing out the boat. I also sprayed the area out with a cleaner, I can already smell the difference.... nice! :D

Sluggo
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Fman,

My 05 22 SSV only has one pump near the vdrive, now SSV's come stock with two or did you add a second to the front or am I all confused and your talking about the front balast pump?

Dave

Fman
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
There are two bilge pumps on my boat, one in the engine compartment, the other is located in the front ballast sac area. I did not add any bilge pumps, they came stock with the boat.

Sluggo
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
How is your front bilge plumbed? Does it T into the same exit line for the balast pump? If it is, can you tell if there is a check valve incorporated to prevent back flow to the balast pump or vice versa?

I am having the same problem as others with the front not draining completely and making a mess under the mat after a few weeks. I am not sure how I am going to wire the switch yet or try to use just the one factory switch to operate both given I should rarely if ever need to manually turn them on.

Fman
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
All they did was in install a pump near the end of the compartment. They ran a seperate drain line (not tied into ballast drain) to exit the front drivers side of the boat. It is hooked up to a seperate toggle switch (Ballast 2) on the console panel, and it has a float on it that automatically comes on when needed. The pump is a SAHARA S500 Model 450S.

I completely removed everything from the compartment and it was pretty nasty. Its probably going to be a winterization project annualy, that compartment gets little airflow there. I am definitely going to start opening it up when the boat is not in use to allow some of the moisture to evaporate. The bilge pump will remove most of the water, but there will still be a small bit left over and will require a wet/dry vac to completely clear it out.

For wiring, I had an extra toggle available on my panel that I ended using for my hotwater shower. You might want to check and see if you have an extra toggle switch available. You might also be able to use one switch for both bilge pumps. For the drain you could just tie it into the ballast drain line, or run a seperate line and drill a hole next to the ballast drain on the front of the boat. You would need to get the stainless ring/grommets to go into the hole you drilled and the 3/4" flex line. Probably would not be too difficult.

Another good reason to have a bilge pump in that compartment is god for bid if your ballast bag failed when it was full it would be a PIA to empty that compartment out. I know when my wife and son drive the boat with the ballast tanks full we tend to take a lof water over the bow :) slowly but surely they are getting better!