PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft

ess3489
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
i have an 89' supra conbrio and last weekend my driveshaft came out of the coupler to the trans.... thought it needed to be just pushed back in but there was a small crack in the driveshaft so i know that needs to be replaced. when i took it into a service place they were saying some berings and stuff might also be out. can anyone kinda explain what all could be wrong and has anyone done this job themself or know anything about it. i dont have as much money as they want to charge to fix it.... also does anyone know where i can get a new/used driveshaft. they wanted 400 for one

jasonba1
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I know viper carrys the drive shaft but I have no idea how much I would think it would be cheaper than that, that seems high 865-388-4096

michael hunter
06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
The bearings he is talking about is probably the bushings in the skeg just before the prop
if they are worn it could make the coupler loosen from the drive shaft. I suspect that
your coupler is bad its a taper fit with a key if the shaft backed out it most likely
wore into the coupler. Also make sure the prop shaft alignment is set to spec.

ess3489
06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
so should i just try to take the drive shaft out myself and see what things look like. ill probably pay them to put it all back in but i can try and save some money and take the old stuff out myself.... any suggestions on what i need to remove or start this and what to look for. and thanks for all yalls help

michael hunter
06-02-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't know your mechanical abilities. I had to change the prop,skeg,shaft and coupler
after hitting a rock. Its not that hard you must remove the prop and the coupler loosen
the packing nut then the shaft will slide out the bottom.

ess3489
06-02-2009, 01:35 AM
im pretty good with mechanics i have just never done this before. i know i can do it i just kind of need more of a step by step process to get it off and put it back on. when you replaced your driveshaft on the boat did u also have to replace your bearing.... where is that and what all does it consist of? im going to try and start taking it apart this weekend... can you kinda give me a run down on how to get everything off. then once i order the parts i can figure out how to put it all back on.... thanks so much