PDA

View Full Version : Propellor shaft

carterlake
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Does anybody have a propellor shaft for a 1987 Sunsport, 1" shaft.
Great forum, thanks, Denise:cool:

wotan2525
06-03-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.marineassociates.com/ -- They were (likely) the OEM on those. They can fix/straighten/repair or sell you a new one.

carterlake
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello again, I am having problems finding the length of the shaft as it broke off, does anyone know the orginal length and specs of the drive shaft in a 1987 Sunsport? Thanks

jguid41
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Call Skier's Choice. They are the new manufacturer's of supra boats. They didn't manufacture them in '89, but they have all the info you need. The will be able to direct you to a regional/local dealer in your area that will have all the info you need on the length and size, but beware....

I just ordered an "OEM" drive shaft from an authorized dealer and the coupler that was on the shaft was 2-3 times as long as the original. I had to cut the gasket between the boat and the shaft (to get more space). I had a very limited space to fit my tools to re-assemble the pieces together. If I had a wide range of tools it may have been no problem, but I have the basic size tools (very nice socket set). I will tell you if I ever have any problems with it I won't be able to remove it without removing the engine or cutting the shaft.

Which is another thing. You will need a prop puller. These are used for many different things and they aren't necessarily called prop pullers. Auto mechanics use them to pull brake rotters off of axles, but you will need one to get the prop off. I didn't know this and it caused me much agony.

Best advice...search until you make sure the coupler is very similar to the length of the one you have. Get one from a scrap boat would be the best.

It's not hard to replace, you just need to make sure you have enough room between the transmission and the exit point of the boat to put everything back together otherwise you remove the engine and put the shaft in (not something I'm interested in doing and way over my head).

Also, the shaft coupler needs to meet up with the transmission coupler fairly close otherwise you need to use the engine level nuts to "meet up" the couplers. Also something I wasn't willing to do myself. But they ended up lining up perfectly, but only after I replaced the strut behind the boat.

Most likely you hit a log or stump and the torque from the engine sheared the shaft (which is most probably what happened to me). Look to see that the strut under you boat is not bent. And lube the shaft up with vaseline before putting it into the strut and boat. This will be the grease for the plastic bearing in the strut.

Good luck!

Salty87
06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Hello again, I am having problems finding the length of the shaft as it broke off, does anyone know the orginal length and specs of the drive shaft in a 1987 Sunsport? Thanks

u don't have the broken off piece of shaft?

you could try calling nettles props in austin. there are a bunch of old supras down here so i'm sure they've replaced them, don't know how they keep records if they even do. i've gotten a couple from them before and they've always wanted the old shaft for measurements. worth a shot although i'm sure they'll need some more spec info. any place will unless you bring them the pieces.