PDA

View Full Version : Packing the drive shaft stuffing box

chautauquasun
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I went online to find more information on how to repack the driveshaft stuffing box and found what I think is a good site with a very good graphical explaination. Can you guys take a look at this site and tell me if that is pretty much what I am going to see on my boat? It looks like a pretty easy job....but I know the minute I say that. Here is the site. If it looks good let me know it may be a good resource for others on here who are looking to do this. It looks like the site is for a sailboat motor but this job seems like it would be universal. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreicated.

Also I think I need the 3/16" size packing. Do you recommend using the regular flax packing or the Gore graphite packing.

thanks for your help.

Here is the site.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

Blackntan90
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Looks really good! I even learned a couple of tips!

Hematoma
06-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I just did mine on Monday, and well it is what it is lol. I thought it was a PITA but I get a bad attitude when I'm hot and sweat'n. Prolly ez on a different floor layout than mine. Going to do a water test tomorrow and get it dialed in.

P.S. I used the same website above for reference. good chit. I used 3/16th

Salty87
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
i've always had dripless so i can't personally say but from the message boards i read, the goretex gets very good reviews.

tomelenbaas
06-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I packed mine last year using the information in the same site. It was very helpful and easy to follow. You do want the 3/16" and I used regular flax. Once you put the boat in the water you need to carefully monitor drip flow through the packing. Check it both in gear and in neutral and check it often for the first few hours. It took me awhile to get the flow rate regulated. If you leave the boat in the water overnight, be sure the bilge pump is on auto just in case.

saltare inverts
06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I packed mine using the goretex. I am vitually dripless. I cant say it doesnt drip but every time I stare at it on the water, no drip at all. Easy job to do.

Hematoma
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I'm glad I wont need to do this again for awhile! What a F'n PITA. I left at 7am and just got back at 2:30 my time. I could not get that bas-turd to drip for chit. Also the nut would get hot as hell. I finally had to take 1 of the 3 rings out to get it to function and stay cool like its suppose to. Everything is fine now. Good luck to whoever is about to do this. May the force be with you.:D

chautauquasun
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
For those who have repacked their drive shaft. Did you use 2 or 3 rings? Sounds like 2 is the right number.

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Ive done it on a couple boats and I always used three rings. Never had any problems.

chautauquasun
07-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Ive done it on a couple boats and I always used three rings. Never had any problems.

Did mine today...really wasnt that bad of a job. I used the instructions from the website I posted earlier. I also made the tool he described out of PVC pipe. It worked great for seating the packing. Not a bad job at all.

chautauquasun
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Did mine today...really wasnt that bad of a job. I used the instructions from the website I posted earlier. I also made the tool he described out of PVC pipe. It worked great for seating the packing. Not a bad job at all. Oh and I also used three rings.

bryan632
07-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for this info. the site is great. I'm doing mine this week. took the boat out for the first time and it had a pretty steady little stream coming in but nothing the bilge pump couldn't handle. I have one question though. When looking for dirp rate, am I supposed to be looking at the end of the nut where water comes into the boat?

techsledder
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
So has anyone ever converted to the PSS (Packless Sealing System) this guy talks about in the intro? http://www.shaftseal.com/product_categories/300000001

dogdrake
07-28-2009, 04:44 AM
So has anyone ever converted to the PSS (Packless Sealing System) this guy talks about in the intro? http://www.shaftseal.com/product_categories/300000001

I installed one on my 78 ski tique .Im going to remove it and put it on my 2000 legacy i just bought. Its a great seal worth the $199 dollars I spent . It's maintenence free you just have to tap into the water feed to the manifold to keep it lubricated. as far as how well it works I never have to pull the bilge plug out unless I nose under a wake;)

Fishman
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
ok...you guys saved me from being layed away by my local dealer. I told them I had a leak in the shaft at the nut. They said it would be a $250 job and if I wanted the dripless, $500.

I adjusted the 2 nuts and got the leaking down to a minimum...not I'm going to attempt this project.

Totally stoked to do this for so cheap...think I'll buy another wakeboard with the money I saved!

Couple quick questions...I've got a 1 inch shaft, so the 3/16th should work right? Also, where do you get that GORE packing?

mapleleaf
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
the gore tex packing was right next to the rope packing at my local West Marine, I think it was like another 1/3rd more $$$$....Have read mixed reviews about.....

techsledder
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
You can also purchase regular and goretex packing or the PSS sytems (two brands to choose) from skidim.com.

chautauquasun
08-24-2009, 08:22 PM
ok...you guys saved me from being layed away by my local dealer. I told them I had a leak in the shaft at the nut. They said it would be a $250 job and if I wanted the dripless, $500.

I adjusted the 2 nuts and got the leaking down to a minimum...not I'm going to attempt this project.

Totally stoked to do this for so cheap...think I'll buy another wakeboard with the money I saved!

Couple quick questions...I've got a 1 inch shaft, so the 3/16th should work right? Also, where do you get that GORE packing?

I used three rings of the 3/16th and it seemed to work well on my 84 supra. very simply job. I cant believe a marina would charge you 250...even at 95 bucks an hour...I would be shocked that it would take them an hour.....

Fishman
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Well $250's not looking so bad right now...just kidding, but this is turning out to be more of a PITA than I thought.

On an 03 Sunsport 22V, the shaft is under the V-Drive and slightly tough to get to...had to remove a bunch of hoses. I'm deslexic, so I spent about an hour trying to tighten the 2 bolts together...then about another 30 minutes to get the 2 wrenches in just the right spots to loosen them~!

I got the packing out without too much difficulty. But, here's where I encountered the hangup. Everyone is saying 3/16, so when I go to the dealer, he says I need 3/16th...I'm thinking great...confirmation. But, I can't get the 3/16th stuff into the nut. After trying to tuck it into the nut with my newly fashioned pvc tool for about a half hour...I decide to measure the waxy rope the dealer gave me. Yup, you guessed it...1/4 inch rope.

And today happened to be the day my new board shows up in the mail(Ronix Frontier 08) and it was a beautiful night for a ride...

I'll let you know how the rest of the project goes after I pay my dealer another visit tomorrow.

chautauquasun
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having...mine was probably easier because it is direct drive and very easy to get at through the floor access panel. I found that the PVC tool really worked well with the 3/16 packing. I made one similar to the instructions and cut it just right so it would snap onto the shaft and stay without having to hold it. Really worked well. However...my stringers are bad so the engine is moving to much and the packing is getting beat up so I am having to adjust tighten the nut each time i go out. New stringers coming in the fall.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok. Just a few more questions for those that are following this...

I did the change. 3/16th was the right size so the dealer actally did give me the wrong stuff initially.

OK, I went out for a quick 5 minute ride and I was getting about 9-10 drips a minute...but, when I got back the nuts were warm....I thought if I had a good drip rate, the nuts would be cool....????

Is it ok to have warm nuts on the shaft with a good drip rate? (I'm actually not trying to make a joke here..). Or do I need to back the big nut off even more? Or...do I need to just break it in more and check it frequently...?

I also developed a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound in the shaft or trany after this job...the more gas I give er the higher the pitch of the zzzzzzzzzzzzz...Anyone have an idea what the sound could be.

Very sorry, not used to working on my own boat but trying to save some money here....the project actually went ok with ok outcome I think..just need to fine tune it.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Just thought of something it could be...do I need to prime the trany since there is water going though it? I pulled these hoses to get at the shaft.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
I meant to say "do I need to prime the V-drive". I took the hoses out of the vdrive to get at the shaft.

Fishman
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
OK, I'm getting to the bottom of the noise. I repacked the shaft nut and thought that I deveoped a noise. But, I think I was hearing a noise that had been there all along...I can hear the noise when I am in idle and the shaft is not turning so I think it is coming from the tranny.

The reason I didn't hear this noise b4 is I have the back seat all the way back. When I drive around with cover and seat off the tranny and V-drive, I hear a lot more. So, I'm good on the repacking stuff, now I need to research the buzz coming out of the tranny.

mapleleaf
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear you're working through this stuff, I'm still trying to get over the warm nuts and shaft comment.. I know I shouldn't be laughing, I just can't help it.....The life of a trademan I guess!!!!

chautauquasun
08-26-2009, 10:54 PM
actually now that I have read that post I am laughing myself...not to mention that the whole topic is on packing the shaft. too funny. Maybe we could weave in some good plumbing humor as well.

Oh and by the way my shaft is still leaking.....must be a sign of old age.

Fishman
08-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for interupting a really good conversation with myself!

I'm new the bb, so I didn't want to "go there"....anyway, glad you guys opened the door to a pretty funny story...

My wife overhears me talking on the phone to my friend(who has a centurion) about the little nut and the big nut down by the shaft. I am telling my buddy that in the process of packing the shaft, the big nut seems to get a little to warm and I need to go make another adjustment on it....

Needless to say, my wife is in dying of laughter. The thing of it was, I was all serious with my friend trying to figure out if I was fixing this right...which made it even funnier!

Fish

chautauquasun
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
That is too funny. Sounds like your wife has a great sense of humor. Thanks for sharing the story and welcome to the board!!

The board has been and continues to be invaluable to me and all of the repairs I have undertaken on my boat. Great people here with a wealth of knowlege and experience.

Fishman
08-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks a lot! I'm definitely trusting the info on this bb more than my local dealer. I have never been into boat repairs/maintainence before...and since I've joined the board, I'm totally into doing as much as I can myself.

So far I've repacked the shaft nut, changed the impeller, lubed the rudder port. Next, I'm going to tackle a trans. service and oil change.

Looking forward to many future conversations, Fish

jzelt
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I have just had to tighten the nut. It was running like a faucet. (No wonder where all the water was coming from. Thought it was a leaking ballast).

Last run of the year, I am counting about 19 drops a minute. I have tightened it a little more and will see in the spring.

When do you need to replace the packing? I am almost out of threads. Is that when you know? Also, how often does it typically need replaced/last/tightened approximately? (Engine hours?/once a year?). Anticipating 100 + hr use per summer. Do you have spare on board? I was thinking of pre-cutting some in advance and putting in baggie and dipping the ends in wax so they don't fray. (Hate having little things like this that would keep me off the water when I could prevent it).

Had boat for 3 weeks and fixing what should have been done months/years ago...Love every aspect of it though. (Hate the location of the shaft like everyone with V drives. The fact that there are hoses everywhere, I have to remove the raw water side so I have access since ballast intake/fuel/etc is on the starboard side). I can't get over how much room I have access to everything major compared to our I/O.