PDA

View Full Version : New to Supra - have some questions

TXjackson4
05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Help! just bought a 1987 saltare thats been sitting for 10 years. Got it fired up onland w/no prob but oil was sitting in bilge when first checked it out. I need to know what to look for befor putting it on water. I've had several I/O but first inboard. Also need advice on wood trim and paint getting both back to good cond'. Found this site surfn and found to be alot of good advice floatn around. Bare w/me I will be postn alot of questions n future. This boat is awesome just need help restoring her

michael hunter
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
TX
First let me welcome you to the Forum.
This is the best place to get all your answers.
Use the search feature to seek out previous answers on the topics your working on.
You can also post a question about anything on your Supra there is a lot
of experience and know how at your disposal.
There is one thing you owe us pictures of your boat and projects.

saltare inverts
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Welcome. I have a 86 Saltare I have been extensively going through. I am sure I can answer many of your questions and save you some time. Smart buy. You will love the boat. You can buff the paint out and wire brush the teac wood then put teac oil on it, several times. My paint was so bad that I just repainted it.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Welcome TX! We've got a great bunch of guys here that are eager to help and talk about anything to do with boats. Its very much a small, friendly family around here.

I'm going to move this post to the Service & Repair Forum. You'll probably get a better response to your questions there. This particular forum is used for problems with the forum itself.

Salty87
06-03-2009, 04:39 PM
cool, the saltares might be catching up with the sunsports.

sitting for 10 years you've got to think most things are suspect....hoses, belts, you're gonna want to get a tune up kit too. definitely get a new impeller before you get on the water. the hose will create enough pressure to cool it, the lake won't if the impeller is bad and i can't imagine one would last 10 yrs.

unless your boat has been painted, they come from the factory with gel coat. it can be wet sanded if it's real bad or compounded if it's not too bad.

for the teak, i prefer the 2 part kits...cleaner and brightener followed by many coats of teak oil.

hit the search, lots of new old supras on the site this year.

edit...thought of one more thing...check your driveshaft seal when you put in. it's the bellows of an inboard but alot cheaper and easier to maintain.

good luck

mapleleaf
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey welcome....Seems like there are a lot of these Saltares out there....You really should love it, I'm getting pretty envious of you guys with the "big" boats, hard to compete with a "tiny"!! comp......
These guys here are super at answering any questions small or big.....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Heck yeah the Saltares are getting more popular! I almost bought one near me, didn't end up going to see it, but it had a tower, and 2k lbs ballast system that was hidden under the floor from when they redid the stringers and floors.

Use fine sandpaper and a bucket of water to sand your hull to remove oxidation and your boat will shine like the day she was new! After buffing and waxing. For the teak I sanded mine because it was so black and moldy. Used a vibrating sander and also by hand. Then I got a two-part kit that is better than regular teak oil. From Starbrite I think? I'll have to look.

I bought my 87 SunSport last year and haven't looked back! Came from the i/o, but now we're surfing every day!!!! 1500lbs hidden ballast in mine so far. Check my gallery on my profile!! Congrats you now own a WAKE SURF MONSTER!! VERY good waves above average for the year.

TXjackson4
06-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice, ordered some parts from skidim(very good website) hope to be gettn some pics up as soon as I can figure it out. :D

ZeroDiscipline
06-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Rebuilding a 86 SunSport for the hull up ...Just curious where did you "hide" the ballast?

saltare inverts
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Look at his threads, he put up alot of pictures.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
There are some pics in my gallery under my profile.

Basically I put Locker Sac in the rear ski compartment, another one under the rear bench seat, and a pair of V-Drive sacs (or you could also use Side Sacs) for under the open bow. All made by FlyHigh http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bags PM me for discount code through end of month.

Then you plumb the sacs by running tubing. The boat has an outer wall and an inner side wall and the space between is where you run the plumbing in my boat. The pumps are under the spotters seat, and the water is pumped in through the existing raw water intake for the boat. Eventually I will give it a dedicated throughhull but it works fine for now.