PDA

View Full Version : Anchor That Works

saltare inverts
06-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I have yet to find a anchor that will hold my boat. I have tried the mushroom style, mushroom style with cut outs and now the kind that folds open when it hits the bottom. I cant get any of them to hold very long, specially on a windy day. I am open to suggestions.:?:

Salty87
06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
do you have any chain on your anchor line? the more the better

tg0824SSVGG
06-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I just ordered a "box anchor" last night --- they are HIGHLY recommended
by the people on the wakeworld.com forums.

Check them out - NOT CHEAP, but if they deliver 50% of what's promised, they
will have my old anchor beat - and they fold up for storage ... something I am
VERY interested in.

http://slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

http://slideanchor.com/ShopITHandler.ashx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688&Height=310&Width=350&Type=Home

michael hunter
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I use danforth anchors 4' of chain on it is better but a PITA to store.
The key is to let out 3 times the water depth in anchor line on windy or choppy days
6-8 times. I run on Lake Michigan a lot, one anchor in the front and one in the back the
boat never moves.

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Todd let us know how that Box Anchor works for you. I need something better also. They look pretty nice.

tg0824SSVGG
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
OK Keith. I also use an "anchor buddy" (stretch rope) to attach to the anchor, we're going to Lake Powell in a couple weeks - it will get a workout!

I didn't buy the stainless one, just the galvanized ...

Blackntan90
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Michael has it right on, a little chain goes a long way! I also carry and use 2 danforth style anchors and have just a couple of feet of chain on one only, the one without chain I use on calm days- the one with is for more adverse conditions! The one thing I learned is to lower- not throw- the anchor, and after you feel it touch bottom, gently apply some reverse to 'set' it. That being said I have only fouled the anchor a couple of times, and the power of the boat was enough to free it!

wotan2525
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Danforth all the way. I use mine with 4 feet of chain on it and you need to make sure you let out plenty of line to get a low angle. Had me planted 100% solid the other day with 35+ MPH winds.

The only thing is... I'm not sure how it would work on a rock bottom. My river has a sand bottom and once it sets it's there for good.

Salty87
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Danforth all the way. I use mine with 4 feet of chain on it and you need to make sure you let out plenty of line to get a low angle. Had me planted 100% solid the other day with 35+ MPH winds.

The only thing is... I'm not sure how it would work on a rock bottom. My river has a sand bottom and once it sets it's there for good.

i use the same, didn't know the name of it. there's a dive shop near the lake that retrieves lost anchors a couple of times a year. they sell them by the pound...$1/lb if i remember right....i use it on rocky bottoms and sandy/grassy. with enough chain and rope out, no problem.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00002337.jpg

jonyb
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I've got a 26# Hooker anchor, just like Salty posted above.

But honestly, if you don't know how to set the anchor, it doesn't matter if you have one that's 50#. You can't just drop it and expect it to hold, and you also can't drop it in a rock quarry that's 150' deep with 45' of line. I see so many newbs do that, then the idiots drift into my boat like I'm the guy thats at fault.

A hooker anchor is the best way to go. I completely agree also about the chain. When you throw the anchor out, the hooks fall, and the chain pulls the handle down. Then you drag it back to you, the hooks dig in to the ground. when it's tight, then you can tie off.

I can set my anchor well enough to hold at least 5 boats. 4 of those are Baja's from 25' to 33'. As long as the wind isn't too bad, it'll hold us all day long.

Make sure to carry plenty of rope too. I've got 150' that's rolled up in an electrical cord winder. Just because you're in 50' of water, doesn't mean you should buy 50'.

tg0824SSVGG
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I also have one just like Salty posted above - and I can usually make it work, but
it's totally a pain to store. I will be taking it with the box anchor to Lake Powell, because
I know it works (can be fussy, but once set, works good) - but I would rather not
have to carry it around ... what a pain.

Todd

jonyb
06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I used to keep mine under the seat by the port side console, but moved it this year to the bow. Pull the front center cushion, turn the anchor sideways, and put it in with the handle facing the rear. The hooks are wide enough to hold it all the way at the top and it doesn't interfere with the ballast sac when it's full.

tg0824SSVGG
06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, I hadn't tried in with the bag -

I have it under the port side seat just behind the console. I have already chipped fiberglass trying to get it in and out. It's about 1" too wide to fit under either of
the front seats. I also tend to keep a pair of waterskis in the "locker" - so would have to make sure the anchor isn't getting on them.

I hope this new folding anchor is anything like it's reported to be (especially for $150!), then I will sell the other one.

jonyb
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I kept mine in the same place, and it was a true p.i.t.a.

There was always someone sitting there and the cushion had to be taken out, somebody's gotta hold it while I drop the playpen cushion down, then put the seat cushion back in, then walk up front and drop teh anchor out. Under the bow cushion it's perfect. I have my feet on teh 2 outside pieces, remove the long center one, push it between the console's, get the rope winder out, then ease teh anchor out, replace the cushion, then lay the anchor on a towel until I'm ready to drop it, and 95% of the time, it goes off teh bow. Very handy being in there.

saltare inverts
06-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I always set in about 15 foot deep water or less but I always have trouble getting a bite. I am going to add chain. I go on rocky/muddy bottom. Thanks for all the tips.

michael hunter
06-04-2009, 07:41 PM
The anchor salty has is a danforth. If you are having trouble setting this anchor add a
chain and make sure you let out at least 3-4 times the depth of the water your in.
Windy or choppy add more line 6-8 times the depth of the water.

MovinFr8
06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Just an idea but i took a plastic milk crate and it holds a 12lb anchor and a cement block with two 50 ft lines. Makes it easier to take in and out of the boat plus stores in the garage easy when I know I am not going to need it.

Cement block is just a poor mans anchor for windy days when two is better than one.

saltare inverts
06-06-2009, 11:19 AM
What type, weight of chain does everyone recomend? I prefer not using a rusty chain in my boat but I found only galavanized at local hardware store. It is only coated and I know they eventually rust.

Salty87
06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
you could try a sporting goods store, boating aisle(s). we have academy sporting stores down here, they have a couple of marine aisles.

weight is more important than length, size always matters ya know.

i seem to lose one every couple of years, doesn't get to rust too much before it's time for another. maybe get a big plastic bin to store the chain in.

saltare inverts
06-06-2009, 01:12 PM
We need a automatic anchor system were it drops out of hull. Like Cruise ships. I bet one of those anchors would hold. Add some ballast also.:p

cwood
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
i have just bought a new 08 24ssv. i have been a sea ray owner for the last 7 years. This may seem like a stupid question, but in regards to the anchor, is there a place to permanantly tie your anchor in? My sea ray had an anchor compartment on the bow. I have pulled all the cushions up front, and cant see anywhere where you might tie in a permanent anchor. Where do you tie one up on this boat? thanks!

tg0824SSVGG
06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Nothing permanent ... I tie mine to the bow eye hook. Just got the box anchor today - will be trying it out. Welcome!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Might be a good idea to put some kind of small piece of wood in that might keep the anchor in a certain spot up towards the nose of the open bow storage area. Mine is always in the same spot but it's just on the floor. Would be nice to be able to tuck it up a little and out of the way.

Box anchor looks pretty sweet! Thanks for all the tips I will try using a longer rope next time I anchor in the river and we'll see if traditional anchor holds.

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Do you have the same problem on the Old Missippi as I do with the anchor? I have been told the water speed is between 3 to 5 miles per hour depending on rain, damn settings etc. Usually I will just float down stream.

Diggs
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Get your self a box (slide) anchor and call it good. I have been using one now for 2 years. I was very reluctant because of the cost, but it sets the first time every time. You do not need any chain either. Trust me on this. It is well worth the money. Out here we have big tie offs of boats and the box anchors still old perfectly. All you need is the little baby one too. They store flat and leave plenty of storage for you too.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
The DNR reports for our area of the Mississippi show current is greatly affected by water level/height. At normal level it is about 7mph. When it floods a couple feet current speed can easily double. In August it is usually starting to run low and then it slows down to 3-4mph. Right now I would say it is 5-6mph. :)

My current anchor works pretty good. It helps a TON to let out more rope thanks for the tip guys! I do not use any chain. Sometimes I have to pull it in and toss it back out if it doesn't set right.

We love to anchor in out of the wind spots and the current holds you perfectly in place. :)

tg0824SSVGG
06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Diggs,

I just got my new box anchor, but I bought the 2nd from bottom in size, since my
boat is a 24foot (HEAVY!)

I will post when I try it - comes with a cool storage bag too.

Todd

Diggs
06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
you will love it. several people in our group are sold on them now too