PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk wake~surfing

RED WINE ROCKER
06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
ok...I can wake-skate, wake-board, slalom, knee-board, skateboard(still)and play guitar but....i CANNOT get this ....At first i bought a Phase 5 -prop....nice but i weigh 200lbs......went to the big ass Liquid force Venture. I can get up on both boards, get in the front of the wave and ride it there but when i let go of the rope....down i go......WTF?

BOAT = SUPRA LAUNCH 21 (2005)
SPEED = 12MPH
WAKE PLATE = UP
BALLAST BAGS(FAT SAC'S -2 ) = EMPTY
People in boat = wife & 3 kids(usally...or 2 boarding/ski buddies)

:confused: come on , help a brother out!! any tips?

jonyb
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
First, all of those bags need to be full. I'm still experimenting with mine, but with the port side bag full, front bag full, and 6 skinny people on port side with my wife driving, it throws about a 4' wave with a small curl.

You need all the weight you can get. Everyone needs to sit on one side. Also keeping the board going without being pulled requires you to be balanced on the board so you ride with it. When you can ride the board with slack in teh line, then your ready to lose the rope.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
What perfect timing! I can totally help you out with this one. You're still not on the right board. A Phase 5 Prop max rider weight is 195 lbs and that is MAX on a big wave. Just not gonna cut it. LF Venture, I rode the bright orange one from last year and ugg it is one of the few LF boards I cannot stand. Some of the new ones are hand shaped and that would be better but the compression molded model is tough. We couldn't get our bigger riders up either.

For Phase 5 you should be riding the Oogle it would fit you much better. You could spin on it and maybe catch airs. Maybe your local pro shop will trade you if you tell them you're not happy.

You could probably make a Hyp Landlock or more fun would be the Broadcast 5.6' but still those are pretty newb boards and you wont be able to do many tricks you'd like. You can stall on top the wave, slaysh but that's about it.

You want to look for a board made for someone 220+ and they ARE out there. Wakeworld lists a lot of models with LOTS of reviews so check there!

Trickboardz.com makes a good board...woah okay I just went to their site again and it's totally changed they are not making wood boards anymore (like old waterskis) but the sizes and shape of boards are all the same. The Mojo Grande would be a great board for you to get into because it's fast and can spin as well as slaysh. Made for 220+ but still rockin board! Their boards are really cool because they are supossed to have an unsinkable tip. The board keeps riding even if it dives and you can lean back and recover. I really wanted a wooden model but the new ones look great too. Fits in regular board rack.

http://www.shredstixx.com/Boards_II.html are really really sweet hand shaped boards among the best available they make a few that would work really well for you. They are totally surf style boards and you would be catching mad air with them. They are a bit more delicate like an ocean surf board and they do not fit in standard board rack. They are spendy but you can find used models at http://www.wakeoutlaws.com forums for good prices.

Inland Surfer an IS blue would work great for you too.

Also check http://www.thewakesurfshop.com/

Fill up your rear sacs and you'll have to have one sac on the side of the boat you surf on. 12mph may be just a touch fast. Put your wakeplate about 90 - 100% up and make everyone in the boat sit on the side you surf on. You can fill a bow sac on the side you surf on if you are running into the back of the boat this will make the surfable wave much longer and you can surf 20+ft back. Keep your feet closer to the toeside edge, keep your stance wide and your weight up on your toes..

Maybe once you get her sac'd out you will be able to surf the Prop. On a big wave day on my boat my bigger friends can ride my Inland Surfer 4-Skim 4.5'. Not forever, but for a while. :)

mikebu
06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
On my Supra21V I do the following:

Fill up 650 lb center bag
Replace stock rear bag with another 650 lb center bag
Fill up 2 Fat Sac Bricks, 300 lbs, and place on side seats
Move everyone to one side
Run between 10-11 mph

Wave looks much improved over the stock ballast. Still in process of replacing center bag with a 1150 lb center bag and then putting the 2 650 center bags in the rear.

cptsupra
06-06-2009, 12:39 AM
2008 21V- Stock rear ballast and 1100 upgraded bow sac.

Speed right at 11 seems best for this boat.
Fill one side rear and empty off side
I fill my 1100 front sac about half way (like Mikebu said to keep the wave from pulling to close to the back of the boat)
I put everyone on that corner of the boat. One buddy that is always with me and goes about 220 handles and passes the rope with his feet on the platform (not entirely legal but where we surf, doesnt matter) then if I have more people i put them up that side of the boat.

Bottom Line: Before my boat will make a clean edged rolling wake I need the boat tilting heavily and the corner of the swim platform 2-4 inches under the water while standing still. I prefer the CWB Ride for me and I am simliar to your weight, it is effortless as long as you keep the toe parallel to the boat. I have the Inland Surfer yellow lugi, and I can do it now with that board but the damn thing is really "slippery" on the wake. Hope this helps.

RED WINE ROCKER
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Great...thanks guys....i'll work on all that this week......looks like nice boards are gonna cost me $500 or more.......i'm gonna have to make the Prop & the Venture work for now.....me thinks weight is the key?!!?!

** THE IDEA OF NO BOOTS IS A BEAUTIFUL THING!:mrgreen:

87SunSportMikeyD
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.wakeoutlaws.com someone is always selling used models. Weight is definatly the key with surfing.

rwadlow
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Interesting we had the boat out this weekend did not feel like feeling up the fly n high sacs we had two friends with us and a big cooler, with a 35 pound anchor in the back. Had the two friends sit in the back right corner (they weighed together about 360 pounds) made a nice wake on the 22 foot SSV husband who weighs around 215 pounds wakesurfed for over 10 minutes straight with no sacs filled up.
We just have a el cheapo board
We have the CWB RIDEWAKESURFER
http://www.stateamind.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=62002363

cptsupra
06-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Everybody seems to think the cwb rider is no good because of the price, but honestly i think it is the best board for beginners to start on so they can get the feel of the boat pulling them.

Fman
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have an '08 Sunsport 22V, I am using the 750 lb rear fly-n-hi sacs and the stock center ballast (I think its 650 lbs). I am filling both of them up (on one side only) and putting my wakeplate all the way down at 10.4 MPH and I believe I am getting a very nice curled wake. When I get into the sweetspot of the wave I can throw the rope in and ride for quite awhile. I do notice at times I can get very close to the boat with the board while free surfing. I rode behind an X-15 with an extra fat sac and my Supra seemed to be very comparable if not a better wake. I know the X-15 has a different hull design.

Would it be better to keep the wakeplate down to force the nose of the boat downward to lengthen the wave? That has been my theory behind this, but I see some folks are not using the wakeplate?

Could you guys take a look at the attached pics and give me some feedback on my wave. Seeing as I am big fan of surfing I am trying to get my boat dialed in for the best wave possible. Any tips I can get would be great to improve the wake.

Thanks
Fman

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Fman generally I would say that if the wakeplate is all the way down it will kill your wake because it makes it quite flat. But some peoples wakeplates dont go down as far as mine does. Generally you want to put it almost all the way in the up position, or just a touch down can make it steeper.

If you are running into the back of the boat that means your wake is pretty tall and steep. But that is a good thing. In order to make the wave much longer, you need to add some amount of weight in the bow. I add a 400 in the port side of the bow (but not pushed all the way to the nose).

Most important thing for great wave it to make the boat list or lean to the port side.

ps Im pretty sure they are just called "Fly High" brand sacs. For some reason fly -n- high just makes me laugh. :)

wake beater
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
so do you want your wake plate up or down for wakesurfin?My wakeplate is straight out and the curl will only hold me there for 10 seconds or so,also only 2 or 3 people in back corner.

Dreamer99
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
With the plate up the stearn goes down and you will surf up a storm.

Fman
06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I am going out Friday, I am going to try and leave the plate up and adjust the speed a little.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 02:31 PM
W B - what boat? how much ballast and where? How much do you weigh and what board are you riding? What speed are you driving?

wotan2525
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I just wanted to reply that when I first started surfing I was convinced I couldn't do it well because of the wave. I was wrong. It's HARD to do until you get the feel for it. The wave is the easy thing to blame because there are so many variations. If you're hitting the back of the boat -- your balance is off. Yes, there are a lot of things to play with to make the wave BETTER.... but... know when to say enough is enough and focus on your skills.

I realized this last night after surfing with a couple of people that have never surfed before. Me and my friend aren't great but we are starting to get airs and working on 360s. The newbies were crashing into the back of the boat (glad I have this tank of a landlock ;) ) or washing off the backside of the wave. They were all convinced the wave was "wrong" or "too slow" or I was "turning to sharp" or something else was wrong. After many, many, many tries they are starting to pick it up. It took me about 10-15 sets behind an X-Star before I was comfortable tossing the rope in at all. The entire time I blamed the wave and the driver. Now that I'm progressing, though.... I like my wave 10x more and have worked on dialing it in.

Also... Back to the original poster. I'm ~220lbs and ride the hell out of a Phase 5 Oogle. I just picked up a 56" Walzer and was surprised that it has almost as much push (but way lighter/more maneuverable.) My LF Custom 4'6" is a hair too small for me to work but... I'm getting there.... and I'm convinced my skills are the only thing holding me back.

Good luck!

wake beater
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
W B - what boat? how much ballast and where? How much do you weigh and what board are you riding? What speed are you driving?

21.5 ft Supra Mariah classic 1991,454.I don't have any sacs,just 3-4 buddies.I ride a 08 Phase 5 ,i'd say 4'4"-4'6",I weight 170.try to stay around 10 mph's.Have always drove straight to,should i be doing big circles?

87SunSportMikeyD
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
the technically correct way is to drive straight. Some people with smaller wave like circles or really just a slight turn. While you CAN surf with just people weight you probably want a 500lb or so sac on the port side floor as you need to get the boat to lean. Drive about 10-11mph

saltare inverts
06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Sounds like gas guzzling time. How much gas will you go throug doing this. I bet its worth just wondering.

wake beater
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds like gas guzzling time. How much gas will you go throug doing this. I bet its worth just wondering.

not understanding your comment if it directed at me.also us canadian's pay alot more for fuel than you yank's,right now i pay close to a dollar a litre for marked premuim gas.I drive a big block boat,a V8 GMC truck,800 cc snowmobile's and a 06 RMZ 250 that is on C-12 race gas ,they all cost $ to fill but it is always worth it.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
LOL W_B, directed at anyone who surfs! Actually S_I, surfing generally uses less gas than wakeboarding IF you are using the same amoung of weight. I'm pretty sure there are topics over on WW about it if you searched.

It is true that you aren't on plane (which is most efficient speed for boat) but your RPM's should be significantly lower. Also less throttle req'd to get to surf speed.

The new Epic hybrid boat advertises that it's batteries will last twice as long surfing as boarding.

wotan2525
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I use about the same amount as i do wakeboarding.... same RPM range, too.

Mine has a little bit of a smaller carb on it that makes it a bit easier on fuel economy. Last fill-up was about $30 and that was for ~2 hours of surfing. I don't think that's too bad at all.

truckerhucker
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
hey im surfing with 540 lbs on one side and none in the front on my 1989 supra sunsport with only a driver and a spotter the wave seems pretty small tho im only riding about a foot back from the swim deck what kind of weight should i add to make my wave higher and longer i have dropped the rope for about five min but i would like to be able to surf farther back an move around a little more as im pretty much just standing there on one spot
ps im 175 lbs and riding an orbrien alias 5" skim style

87SunSportMikeyD
07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
pm sent :)

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 08:12 PM
MikeyD, that is interesting. I never would guess it takes less gas. I am still looking for a board if anyone hears of a good one.