PDA

View Full Version : Ignition or transmission issues?

thsmith10
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Every once in a while, my 87 sunsport won't start when I turn the key. It doesn't even try to turn over. I usually giggle the throttle while continuing to turn the key until it tries to turn over. Is this an ignition issues or transmission or something else? When I am in the water and someone new is driving the boat, they get quite confused.

Salty87
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
is this when the engine is hot, usually?

cleaning your battery cables might help, don't forget the stud on the block that the ground is connected to. if you have original cables, it's prob time to replace them.

thsmith10
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
My memory seems to be horrible but I would say it generally is when the engine is hot, usually while we are starting and stopping for wakeboarding. I don't remember it happening too much before it gets started for the day.

Salty87
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
bend your cables, if they crack and pop they're losing their ability to conduct current. they corrode under the plastic coating, can't see it.

if you go out again and it happens, see if they're hot to the touch when it won't start. if so, that's lost current that your starter needs.

oh hey...welcome to the site

thsmith10
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I've been reading the site for about a month now but now its time to roll up my sleeves and get working on the boat, something I know nothing about.

rickr
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
If you have to giggle the throttle you have an issue with the saftey switch in the transmission. Starter soloniod will not get power unless switch is closed.

tjonas1
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Have you checked the safety switch on the transmission.

tjonas1
06-04-2009, 09:32 PM
There is a neutral switch assembly on the left side of the transmission that is controlled by the throttle lever. If the switch is going bad it will cause the motor not to start. Not saying this is your problem,but it could be something you could look at.

knoble
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Next time it happens jumper across the neutral safety switch and if it starts that is your problem. All the neutral safety switch is an on/off switch to your starter solenoid. If it detects you are in gear it turns current off. If it is failing them it could give a false read. Jumping it with a thick insulated wire or a screw driver if you can touch both contacts will bypass it. If you do this and it starts tight away then that most likely is your problem. The only other thing is your adjustment on your throttle is a little off or your starter could be going. Starters usually act up when they are hot and it is a warning to you. Replace me before i totally die!

:cool:

michael hunter
06-05-2009, 01:47 AM
The neutral safty switch on my 89 Sunsport in on the top of the trans, two wires and screws into the trans. You may only have to adjust the shift cable to correct the problem.