PDA

View Full Version : badly oxidized

rod
06-04-2002, 01:23 PM
i have an 88 ts6m its badly oxidized i have used meguiers oxidation system did not help much also need new carpet decals and engine box vinal and front pasanger seat has roted out any pointers? thanxs

Dan Schoenberger
06-04-2002, 02:00 PM
I was able to order all decals from my local dealer. I had better luck using a buffer to remove my oxidation. I end up doing it about 3-4 times a summer to keep it looking good. My interior is still in good shape, so I haven't had to deal with it. Good luck (87 Comp).

SupraNut
06-05-2002, 06:53 AM
I had to replace the wood under the rear sundeck cushion. The marine plywood was very expensive so I used 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood. I drilled some 3/4 inch holes in it and painted it with a water sealant. That was four years ago and it has held up great! Of course I am fanatic about it and turn over all my seat cushions to air out before the next run.

34scarab
09-06-2002, 02:02 PM
Its a little scary but it works. Sand paper. find a test spot, start with a 220 grit (maybe heavier, maybe lighter depending on level of oxidation. Work your way throught the grits. (400, 800, 2000) . Use the wet /dry sandpaper and wet sand starting with the 400. It is o.k. to use a random orbital sander for the 220 grit (oxidation removal) but it is best to use your hand for the later grits (polishing). Remember to not push tooo hard or stay in one place too long. once you have removed the oxidation you are basiclly just polishing the gelcoat. once you have done the whole boat using the 2000, the next step is polishing compound (not rubbing compound). I found that the turtlewax polishing compound at Walmart works great. Get a buffer and do the whole boat with the compound. You can now apply wax if you want but it is not required.

I am not a professional but i have done my 1984 supra comp and my 34' scarab like this. the supra was two years ago and it still looks brand new even with no wax. The process is labor intensive but it works and is worth it.