PDA

View Full Version : My '90 Conbrio

mapleleaf
06-05-2009, 09:35 PM
So I thought I'd get a thread going , slowly, to show the progress...
A lot of plans have been changed or put off do to time limitations, but I am seeing improvements and snapped a couple pic's tonight before and after throwing the cover on, which for a $100 bucks is keeping the weather out, but for how long I don't know!
The wet sanding and polishing is what sparked the photo's, that and the new licence decals... It's amazing how the finish comes back...I'd read all these posts about it and am now super stoked to get it all done.
Since there's no entire restoration going on here, I'd thought I'd do a water test before putting the carpet and rest of interior back in....
More to follow.....

jasonba1
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
great start mapleleaf keep us up to date

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
We know you have done more. More pics please.

mapleleaf
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
thanks S I, I have , but it's not that exciting.....
I've been forced to recover my new seat frames with the old vinyl, kinda lame, but usable....I've pretty much gone to get it done mode and the boss has seriously trimmed my budget.......
I've got the boys com'in over on Sunday for a wet sanding party....there'll be some pic's then...
Todate, it's been lowbudget, maintenance.....vent cover replacement, rub rail.....

Hematoma
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks S I, I have , but it's not that exciting.....
I've been forced to recover my new seat frames with the old vinyl, kinda lame, but usable....I've pretty much gone to get it done mode and the boss has seriously trimmed my budget.......
I've got the boys com'in over on Sunday for a wet sanding party....there'll be some pic's then...
Todate, it's been lowbudget, maintenance.....vent cover replacement, rub rail.....Its a good start Maple, keep chuggin away and it'll come together. Just takes time.

Salty87
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
one step at a time, leaf. it can be overwhelming but you'll get it.

i've re-used the vinyl on my rear locker twice. including the factory work, that makes 3 lives for that skin. it's showing too.

screw it, through a towel on them and who cares?

save some work for the winter.

mapleleaf
06-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah it's good with me this process.....Get it water ready and have "projects" left over....
There will always be something to do, but using it has become a priority, long live my boating career!!!!!!
no one said it had to be pretty......
just got home from the woodshop....head unit brackets for a beat up glove box, looks great and cost....nuth'in, 4 hours a night gets stuff done, I'll be boating soon.........

mapleleaf
06-11-2009, 06:30 AM
here's how the stereo's gonna mount up.....
Anybody know how to hook it up??? It's a Sony CDX GT 500, I have the harness with loose wires at one end to hard wire to boat, and the boat diagram, running with trial and error??
Also have an amp and sub, thought I'd run the sub off the amp and my five and a quarter's off the stereo....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
You should be able to google the model of the head unit to get the wiring diagram otherwise the wires are color coded.

How many channels and watts is your amp? If it's a three channel you could power your boat speakers too. Mono channel is just for sub. Two channel would probably be just for sub.

mapleleaf
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
You should be able to google the model of the head unit to get the wiring diagram otherwise the wires are color coded.

How many channels and watts is your amp? If it's a three channel you could power your boat speakers too. Mono channel is just for sub. Two channel would probably be just for sub.

not sure about the channels on amp., will check. The head unit has these rca jacks on the back labeled bus. audio in/out, don't know what they're for......

mapleleaf
06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Mikey amp is super old and 2 channel, prolly jus use it for the sub......
The list is getting shorter.....
rub rail on
vents replaced
doghouse curb carpeted
floor ready for carpet, tonights job

Finally found some decent vinyl for good price, only it's white and maybe a bit bright against the off white gel coat, gonna sew up a couple bench covers and see how it looks, still leaning towards Hema's carpeted back deck, I think it's way more durable for getting in and out with boards and sh.....

The "boss" is finally taking an interest in getting on the water...better not stop now!!!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Well Hemas holds a big ol fat sac too I believe which would be a major reason to go that route.

mapleleaf
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah I'm the shallow storage boat, next one's a SunSport or a Saltare, need a place for bags and I desperately need freeboard height, the comp's ride low, it's a little nutty on Big lake Ontario.....

wotan2525
06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Coming together.... what's on the floor right now? Did you paint it??

Also... should have taken the time to buff that thing while the rubrail was off!!

mapleleaf
06-18-2009, 10:14 PM
time my friend, time...I know that I should've, vacation starts tomorrow, boat needs to be water ready....
The floor is carpeted now, I painted it prior to carpeting.....
Having some ignition issues, cap, rotor condensor and points going in mon.....

Wetsanding will have to be done a little more carefully and slowly is all.....

mapleleaf
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Found some more pic's of us enjoying the Conbrio on vacation....My dad slalomed after 15 yrs off the water!!!! My brother in law got all dressed up for Canada Day! We had a great time, How good is it to be on the water???

Blackntan90
07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Maple, those pic's are great! That last pic of the turn is awesome! Great job on the boat also!

87SunSportMikeyD
07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Maple great pics thanks for posting!!! I have an uncle who used to be in ski shows. I have only gotten him to wakeboard once and he was doing wake to wakes on his first try. His back is his excuse. :) Nice pics, way to fly the flag and the last pic is AWESOME!! Love the carve

saltare inverts
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Awesome pics MLEAF. Boat is getting better and better. I will tell you the best feeling in the world, everytime I take my boat out now I get a compliment at the gas station and when unloading. This has happened the last four times out. I still look at them thinking, you talking to me? You are on your way. Stud.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Got that at the gas station this last weekend hehe!

mapleleaf
07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Ditto, people don't seem mind/notice that it's pink!!!
I guess pink is the new black.....

mapleleaf
08-11-2009, 09:49 PM
So it's August and at long last I'm tackling something that is long over due....Started on the rear bench, it's just the beginning.....

saltare inverts
08-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I like the wood floor. Is that your garage floor? Nice trim also.

techsledder
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm a newbie to the boat vinyl upholstery redo gig. What kind are you using? Brand? Water resistant? I assume you just take apart the old seat, pull some staples and pull the stitching and use the old vinyl for a pattern? Then stencil the old pattern onto the new stuff and cut and sew? :?:

mapleleaf
08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I like the wood floor. Is that your garage floor? Nice trim also.

Yeah I went with 7 1/4 poplar baseboard and prefinished hardwood for the floor, it's great to park on and change oil, doesn't like the winter salt too much I have it sanded every spring! LOL I'll tell the Mrs. you approve.....

Tech you got it, I've painstakingly pulled a couple thousand staples and stitches and am using the old vinyl as a rough template, I'm updating so to speak so my old stuff is the rough layout and the new is an educated guess, I'm going to be adding a layer of 3/4 "fluffing" foam to help with my imperfections, Having a hard time tracking down 22 gauge stainless staples for my air nailer, can't assemble 'til I get'em, going boating this weekend ha ha.

After a little research I found a fabric store in Toronto that had what they labelled Marine Vinyl for 10 bucks a yard, quite a bit better than 30 at West Marine and 25 at another professional outdoor fabric outfit. It might not be the best, but it feels good and what I started with this spring isn't showing any signs of wear or UV damage, it gets wet like everything else, but so does the old stuff, I the boat owner need to keep the water out of the boat!!!!

I had to post a pic I'm really excited about having a new interior....not looking forward to the driver's seat!!!! These are the last pics tonight, of just the skins (no foam) over the bench carcass, I can't wait to get it all together!!!!!

techsledder
08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
great work! Thanks for sharing. So then that confirms it, I'll be doing my own work then for the upholstery. It's sounds like a wicked long time commitment, but all in all something I can handle. I'll have to barrow mom's sewing machine... Yeah, west marine is rediculous with their prices. It's more like an absolute last resort store for this boater.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Dude what? Wood floor in gargage? never heard of that one before... It is soaking wet in winter u crazy :)

mapleleaf
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Dude what? Wood floor in gargage? never heard of that one before... It is soaking wet in winter u crazy :)

Mikey!!!!! If I had a garage I'd keep the boat in there!! LOL that's my living room / workshop!, I was just mess'in with Jack or he was mess'in with me.....
baseboard in a garage c'mon U crazy!!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh man what I am a gulla-bull? or gulla-calf even?

hahahahah

mapleleaf
08-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Was just thinking about how nice it would be to be back on vacation.....I don't live close enough to the cottage!

techsledder
08-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't live close enough to the cottage!

The friends, wife and I were thinking that same thing this past weekend. We were in the Keweenaw peninsula in the U.P. of Michigan this weekend visiting. Where I will retire...

mapleleaf
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm just hoping for Benzie county MI,.......LOL

mapleleaf
08-17-2009, 09:48 PM
here are some pics of the back bench and a foot rest on the doghouse. Turns out there's more to this upholstery than cut and sew! I'll have to live with a few wrinkles for now........Still pretty stoked that it's getting done!
Not too sure why the stainless rail on the swimplatform looks all bent in the first shot, kinda freaked me out, had to go out and do a visual check!!!!