PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid change 91 sunsport

northwoods1
06-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Please advise: I have a 91 Sunsport in desperate need of a transmission fluid change. I will be replacing the 20w oil with DexronIII (which is ok, as long as I get all the 20w drained.) The problem is, I can only pump a very small amount out from where the dipstick is. It seems like themajority of the fluid is beyond where the hose from my pump can reach. Does anybody have a better solution? I think there is a drain plug underneath but cannot tell if it is hex or what. I have the PCM 1:23 transmission if that helps.

mapleleaf
06-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Haven't had to do this myself yet, but from what I understand it helps a lot if the fluids are warmed up before draining, helps them move better....
GOOD lUCK!!

Salty87
06-06-2009, 09:26 AM
i've only used a vacuum pump to extract the old fluid. not sure how much old fluid it left behind.

does it help if you jack the trailer up/down? sounds like you've got a decent amount out already, maybe put some fresh fluid in and then suck all of that out to help flush it.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Northwoods1-
If at all possible, try to change the diameter of the suction hose. The simple device I use came with 1/4 soft hose (one in , one out)- but also came with what looks like a drinking straw. It's about a foot long and has a bit of flexibility and actually shoves inside the "in" hose. It allows you to get to the bottom of the resevoir. Hope this helps and good luck.
dp

knoble
06-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Also try disconnecting your lower cooler hose at the trans. if you can put a pan or something the you will get the most fluid out. That is the lowest point on the trans. I did this and made a "circle" with rags around it and contained the fluid. Their is no more than about three quarts in there! i replaced my fluid with synthetic Valvoline dextron IV. It wik work with the trans. If you look on the back of the bottle it works with the lower "number" fluids. Going synthetic is the way to go and it is not that much more money!!

:cool: